4...The "General Thread" of......Dover's Railways, Kent.

David Todd

Mike Storey  Posted Yesterday, 06:35 Great layout emerging David. Really captures the feel of the place, although it was very much more run down in those days than the scene you are re-creating!      Mike.

Thanks for your comment's Mike.........

I move here,just @ the end of '78/9, so remember the tail end of those day's, dark and dingy......unkept.

Hope to capture from the 70's to present day,in area's of the layout.............

9134769409_695750dbdf_o.jpg

In the last pic. shews a "Hobbit's shed."

9122651999_6e672f8ab4_o.jpg
photo by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

Permission of Andy Howard

•  

• RMweb Gold

I have had these on order, for quite a while now,............Have already got their twin 47's with sound.

On order are.......... ......"Tunnel Twin's"

http://www.railexclusive.com/index.php?category=87

http://www.railexclusive.com/index.php?category=83

Great that a better class of Crompton will be available - but the sound-equipped version appears to cost £200 more than standard, literally twice as much. That's a lot.

Blimey - dt.................

Is that Chicken, chicken or is it just contemplating Foul play  ..................

Is it a permanent part of the Layout now or is it going to get the "bird".................

Hunger can play an important role in people behaviour.......

Did RAF Survival course and we had one Chicken between 15, to kill and eat, on the 5th day  .....   we was hungry!!

Shown the usual quick and humane method to break the neck and everyone looked round to see which one was to be chosen for the task  .... 

Chap got appointed and after a moment got on with it. He did a pretty good job too.

A previous Course had some Middle-Eastern chaps on the Course. They got the same chat/demonstration we did.

The Instructors looked around for a volunteer and one of them stepped straight up to the mark. The Instructor was a little dubious, as he wondered if the guy had sufficient English to have completely understood, but the guy insisted he was OK with the task.

After a while the Instructor gave over the chicken .................................  the guy put the chicken head in his mouth and bit the head straight off and spat the head out on the ground [just as they did every day at home], gave the chicken back to the Instructor and stepped back in line with the rest of the Course.   .............   :O

J

Because it was a trainspotter?????????

Could have been Andy H...without his camera................. :drag: .

A few Naff Picture Company,pics. to keep you up to speed with the little time,I have spent,on the Folkestone road over bridge,this is only my second,attempt at,

scratch-building something........

The Dover Priory side, concrete slab,is used,similar to the real thing.

9628537346_b572e4a041_o.jpg

The walling is only stuck on with a pratt stick for now.

9628537408_4f10144483_o.jpg

Yes, I do like to share mistakes.

9625305541_8382eac19b_o.jpg

The type of tunnel inner walling I may use,along with Wills,flexi-arches,for my feet........under top's.

9625305541_8382eac19b_o.jpg

9625305567_78276ca0f6_o.jpg

9625305461_93ef206c18_o.jpg

Please, don't not forget, as from tonight, this thread,maybe splitting,into 3.or 4. separate,layout thread's.............Thank's.

"On the up".         

A  13.car set,made up of, MLv. at the head of a 12. car set,made up of, 3, 4-car units.....

Jaffa, Blue/Grey, Jaffa,Jaffa.  This could have been 14. with another MLv,at the rear. Not unknown,in High Season.

Having left Dover Marine, on the mainline "up",to Ashford,on to London,Charing Cross,traversing the West of the County of Kent.

Hot News...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQqQIoADAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kentonline.co.uk%2Fgravesend_messenger%2Fnews%2Fvideo-passengers-evacuated-in-train-5200%2F&ei=BJgdUsyoB4q20QWX94GADw&usg=AFQjCNFbWF2Ov6l3161hU-5bq3QdhnbcBA&sig2=fKFEW_TZr15QgFuT6Z6VDw

Copyof1989-07-1749010317415511500.jpg

Permission of Andy Howard

I hope it wasn't heading for Charing Cross David. Platforms could only handle a max of 12 cars (some only 10 cars) - I was a relief station announcer there for part of my time in the London Bridge area, after I left Sealink and joined BR Southern! We did get a few Boat Trains on weekend or emergency engineering diversions, and if they left the MLV on, it got a bit embarrassing - that would lock up the signalling track circuits to 4 out of the six platforms. Probably heading for Victoria. Regards, Mike

Andy Howard sent me these last night.

Continuing GBRfs quest to bring their 73s up to standard width one coat of paint at a time...

73212/213 seen here at Paddock Wood in shiny new old-style GB livery (ex NR yellow and First GB dark blue - with and without Barbie stripes- in last couple of years). 
73139 (ex BR blue and then green in last couple of years) also just repainted same.
73141 (ex yellow, ex dark blue) is in process of being repainted).

No doubt these will all appear locally in due course.

post-13585-0-12600600-1377931046_thumb.jpg

Andy Howard

Another tour to Dover (from Dumfries) came through on Wednesday. Attached pic of it arriving mid afternoon. Pity the unit was parked in the way. 57316 was on back (think I sent you a pic of that one when it lead in on a tour earlier in the year).

Ps. Love the shots of the bloke looking over the parapet of Folkestone Road bridge on the forum. I used to have a jacket like that in the mid 90s! - could be me!

Cheers, Andy

post-13585-0-72401800-1377931180_thumb.jpg

Andy Howard

• RMweb Gold

I hope it wasn't heading for Charing Cross David. Platforms could only handle a max of 12 cars (some only 10 cars) - I was a relief station announcer there for part of my time in the London Bridge area, after I left Sealink and joined BR Southern! We did get a few Boat Trains on weekend or emergency engineering diversions, and if they left the MLV on, it got a bit embarrassing - that would lock up the signalling track circuits to 4 out of the six platforms. Probably heading for Victoria. Regards, Mike

Yes, 46 was a boat-train headcode, Mike. And don't ask me about the morning in '76 when the Night Ferry, diverted because of problems at Shortlands, nearly ended up at Cannon St.......

• RMweb Gold

:no:  :no:  :nono:  :nono: .....................Oh !,   Go on then, must be good,.......... for a "rainy day story",at some time............... :drag: ..

Well ok. The Night Ferry was unique among passenger trains because it effectively ran from Dover to Victoria under HM Customs bond, and officials from that service and the Immigration service were needed to meet the train and authorise passengers to detrain and registered luggage and other items to be cleared. This was a well-rehearsed procedure at Victoria, obviously, for which the platform and station layout was designed with a Customs Hall, Registered Baggage offices etc..

Morning peak, some time in Summer '76 - London Bridge new box had been fully open for a few weeks, and I was there as a temporary additional Traffic Regulator, while the thing bedded down. This morning I was early turn Eastern Assistant Regulator, and we got word from Beckenham Control that the up Night Ferry had been diverted at Chislehurst Junction due to problems at Shortlands. The intended diversion would take the train up through Hither Green, and then via the Courthill Loop into Lewisham, then up the bank to Nunhead, where it would regain the Catford Loop line to Victoria. I told the signalmen on the panels concerned - or so I thought. As luck would (not) have it, the reporting number of the train was identical to a South Eastern service to Charing Cross about the same time, so when Sid, running the Parks Bridge panel, saw this train creeping up the slow line, he assumed it wanted Charing Cross - and stripped it up (pulled off) across the top of the junction. "That's the Night Ferry!" I said, seeing all sorts of questions being asked, and me having few answers, if the train carried on up the slow and ended up at Cannon St - where the platforms are/were a bit longer than Charing Cross, at least. Sid could not have looked more surprised if I'd told him it was Concorde, and just stood there. "Well - pull out, man!" said ex-relief signalman Bob Jarrett on the next panel, and did so for him. This replaced the signal in front of the train, but I suspect the driver would have stopped to query it anyway. Obviously we then had to wait for the signal to time-off, and then Sid was able to re-set the road via Lewisham. One learnt that Sid needed special attention when service alterations were being made!

For those of you who have not managed followed the "tag's"........

Yesterday's use of the Airbrush,

DP. platform 1........trusses and upright's,.........repainted to, Tamiya,........ "Light  :O  Blue". XF-23.

9682562404_e1cf7553f5.jpg

9679325343_10d2ae6018.jpg

9679325583_559824c1b8.jpg

9682562664_ac1730e158.jpg

Wills sheet..........trial of Flokestone road over bridge,.........innards.............will be posted elsewhere..........

9689519715_5d0441b45b.jpg

9692758664_e6dc6c3f19.jpg

9692758412_9630d083db.jpg

9692758148_8b96b5fff7.jpg

9689519121_3f2a485277.jpg

9692757680_426ab59083.jpg

9692757582_01771a61f0.jpg

9689518705_b207c96d4f.jpg

9689518199_5a912e3e4b.jpg

Archived