Coventry - Nuneaton Line

• RMweb Gold

The original Three spires box was torched by vandals literally overnight when it was switched out and Coundon Rd and Hawkesbury boxes took control of the branch and when the plan for the pro-logis park was started a porta-cabin type box was put in its place but was seldom used and it still survives to this day but who knows why the tamper was being used up the branch maybe there are plans to use the branch again but I've not heard anything as yet.

• RMweb Gold

who knows why the tamper was being used up the branch maybe there are plans to use the branch again but I've not heard anything as yet.

Perhaps Andy Y is sorting some sort of footplate experience to coincide with RMweb 'live' in September. :jester:

Yes Trev it was the last train up the branch sadly.

I've heard so many rumours that it could be revived but nothing has come of it as yet shame really as DIRFT Daventry now has the water traffic from the channel tunnel.

Cheers 

Colin

Hi all (and Colin, you're everywhere on this t'internet!), I was a signalman at Coundon Road between 2006 up until just before closure (I left in Jan 2009 and moved under promotion into Rugby SCC.)  I also signed the "new" box at Three Spires Junction, and had the honour of, after moving to Rugby SCC, moving back onto the area to work Three Spires in it's last days (because everyone else that signed it had already moved ready for closure to other boxes).  I had the task of signalling the last ever train from Three Spires, which if I I can find the photo, I have a photograph of the Train Register on the last day.

As for the water train, it continued to run after the manual boxes on the branch has closed under the control of the WMSC at Saltley.  I'm not sure of the date of the last train, but the last one definitely was not a charter train to my knowledge.

As I've seen many photo's floating round on the internet of the banner attached to the front of the box, here's a photo of the banner that I produced for the front of the box at Coundon Road, and positioned in front of the frame inside the box before it was attached to the front :)

Made by printing on separate A4 sheets, using British Rail's Rail Alphabet font and sticking them together and then covering the whole banner with sticky back plastic to protect from the elements.  I can't believe that it was still attached to the box, long, long, long after closure!
2lnxsg0.jpg

2j5xcsn.jpg

• 1 year later...

Only just found this forum, and this thread is from 2009 !   But I used to work at Bedlam Lane, only for about 18 months or so, in 78 / 79, I have now (2015) worked for the Railways for over 40 years, and I must have used more rules and regs during my time at Bedlam, than at any other time in my Railway career !  must dig out some of the photos I took whilst I was there :-)

I am sure the Fords, or was it Rootes (?)  car train was 4M49 :-)

• 5 months later...

Only just found this forum, and this thread is from 2009 !   But I used to work at Bedlam Lane, only for about 18 months or so, in 78 / 79, I have now (2015) worked for the Railways for over 40 years, and I must have used more rules and regs during my time at Bedlam, than at any other time in my Railway career !  must dig out some of the photos I took whilst I was there :-)

I am sure the Fords, or was it Rootes (?)  car train was 4M49 :-)

Giving this thread a nudge and picking up on Swills post, 4M49 was the 2030 Linwood-Gosford Green in the 78-80 period, which was the Freightliner which also had Cartics for Bell Green. The diesel tripped the Cartics to Bell Green then when light to Nuneaton, returning at 1649 to trip the Cartics back to Gosford as 4G22 before working 4S31 1840 back to Linwood.4G22 ran via Hawkesbury Lane to run-round.

Be very keen to see any pics from that time and any tales from Bedlam!

Regards

Mike

• 5 months later...

Yes Trev it was the last train up the branch sadly.

I've heard so many rumours that it could be revived but nothing has come of it as yet shame really as DIRFT Daventry now has the water traffic from the channel tunnel.

Cheers 

Colin

First post... Hi all... I'm currently researching the Birmingham & West Midlands Railway Atlas, you may know my London version (Ian Allan)!

I'm trying to pin down the last water train on the branch and I think it must have been after the railtour. There's a YouTube clip of the tour and the branch must surely have still been in use at that point (November 2008) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRclv6uNPE

At 7m20s the road that veers off to the right has perfectly shiny rails and further on at 9m20s the Class 08 is sat on it with a rake of wagons, and there is another rake of wagons on the adjacent road too. All this suggests that water traffic was still very much flowing at the point of the railtour, which leaves me none the wiser when it ceased. Certainly by 18th December 2009, as this is when the Class 08 was removed according to another user earlier in the thread.

• 10 months later...

Giving this thread a nudge and picking up on Swills post, 4M49 was the 2030 Linwood-Gosford Green in the 78-80 period, which was the Freightliner which also had Cartics for Bell Green. The diesel tripped the Cartics to Bell Green then when light to Nuneaton, returning at 1649 to trip the Cartics back to Gosford as 4G22 before working 4S31 1840 back to Linwood.4G22 ran via Hawkesbury Lane to run-round.

Be very keen to see any pics from that time and any tales from Bedlam!

Regards

Mike

Sorry...lost this site for ages, only just found it again....must be my age....will have to look through old pictures !    I do recall more than once arriving at Bedlam box on a Monday morning, to find the 'glass' in the door removed, and some nice little 'rascals'  ....lol had been in and cut any wire they found !  the times I had to do "Time Interval"  from Hawkesbury Lane !!

Sorry...lost this site for ages, only just found it again....must be my age....will have to look through old pictures !    I do recall more than once arriving at Bedlam box on a Monday morning, to find the 'glass' in the door removed, and some nice little 'rascals'  ....lol had been in and cut any wire they found !  the times I had to do "Time Interval"  from Hawkesbury Lane !!

Thanks for waking the thread up - and still looking forward to any pics...

Mike

• 1 month later...

It appears that rail traffic is not expected in the short term as last week the estate management have had some palisade security fencing erected across the track to the west of Blackberry Lane Footpath Crossing to maintain a secure boundary to the estate

I do believe Ron lives literally around the corner from me we spoke for a while fairly recently at Canley whilst taking some photographs a really nice chap and a wealth of information regarding railways around Coventry.

As for the demolition of Coundon Rd and Hawkesbury Lane it's such a shame as I've had several members of my family work in them and I'll miss them both as i work the services along the branch.

My Great Grandfathers brother Harry Horne used to work Hawkesbury Lane Box, before your family? (Pre 1928)

Archived