Coventry - Nuneaton Line

cant be many 20's on passenger turns on the Nuneaton-Coventry branch i suppose, heres 20147 at Coventry after dragging 86249 from Nuneaton on the 1246 Holyhead - Euston, the 86 working the train forward. the WCML was blocked between Nuneaton and Rugby due a fire on 81018 on 180985

NR

18098520147.jpg

cant be many 20's on passenger turns on the Nuneaton-Coventry branch i suppose, heres 20147 at Coventry after dragging 86249 from Nuneaton on the 1246 Holyhead - Euston, the 86 working the train forward. the WCML was blocked between Nuneaton and Rugby due a fire on 81018 on 180985

NR

18098520147.jpg

Brilliant! What a photo, single 20 as well! 

• 2 months later...

Yes, it appears to have been dismantled, will have to go the long way to work tonight to check.

http://forum.historiccoventry.co.uk/main/forum-posts.php?id=28203&show_cats=all

You can't save everything, as they say.

Interesting read!!

cheers neil..

I'm guessing "Ron" on that forum might be a local photographer of the same name, I'll have to register to have a look at his other posts.

• RMweb Gold

I do believe Ron lives literally around the corner from me we spoke for a while fairly recently at Canley whilst taking some photographs a really nice chap and a wealth of information regarding railways around Coventry.

As for the demolition of Coundon Rd and Hawkesbury Lane it's such a shame as I've had several members of my family work in them and I'll miss them both as i work the services along the branch.

• RMweb Premium

The signalbox up Blackhorse Road has also gone.....

Here's a link to 37401 creeping away from Three Spires Yard......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58806173@N08/7916813904/in/photolist-d4zJXs-d4zFHu-d4zGPC-d4zHN7

Presumably that was some sort of railtour (headboard and coaches visible!)?

Keith

Edit: spotted it was a Pathfinder tour.

Presumably that was some sort of railtour (headboard and coaches visible!)?

Keith

Edit: spotted it was a Pathfinder tour.

Hi Keith,

I think it was the last train to work the branch. (I'm sure this was after the water train finished)

Thanks

Trev

• RMweb Gold

Yes Trev it was the last train up the branch sadly.

I've heard so many rumours that it could be revived but nothing has come of it as yet shame really as DIRFT Daventry now has the water traffic from the channel tunnel.

Cheers 

Colin

• 1 month later...

Have just come back in and was held up by  DR73309 going across the crossing at Wheelwright Lane heading towards Prologis Park. Does anyone know if it is just a one off routine maintenance visit or is there some more traffic in the offing?

I am wondering the same.

It was dropped off the back of an Allelys low loader this morning. A few palisade fence sections have been removed from the end of the car park opposite the Arena. The lorry reversed through and onto the tracks at about 0930 this morning.

The tamper then spent the rest of the morning up till lunch tamping up and down the section of line between Three Spires Jnct & the bridge over Hen Lane.

It disappeared from view out of the office window after lunch but the fence panels have not been replaced so obviously not finished its job as yet.

I presume there is currently no access to the branch at Three Spires Jnct, hence it being roaded in.

• RMweb Gold

I presume there is currently no access to the branch at Three Spires Jnct, hence it being roaded in.

It's still signalled as you can see the red light from Lythall's Lane bridge.

It's still signalled as you can see the red light from Lythall's Lane bridge.

The signalling may still be intact and working, even if the track is out of use; I've seen cases where signals have been left, even when track has been lifted. The reason is to avoid having to modify the interlocking.

I suspect that, in this case, if the points have not been used for a certain period of time, they would have to be properly recommissioned; I believe this happened during the Manchester South resignalling at Stockport. 'Platform 0' rings a distant bell- doubtless someone on here will know the precise details.

• RMweb Gold

The points to go up the Pro-logis branch are clipped and locked I can confirm this as I was on the Nuneaton shuttle all morning 14 times i stopped at Bedworth!!

And as far as I know Three spires box is no longer operable since control of the line was moved over to the work stations in the Saltley signalling centre.

Archived