Bachmann Jinty

Lochinvar

I mentioned in an earlier thread on this forum that I was planning to fit a TCS MP1-UK to a newly-acquired DCC-ready JInty. Things have not gone at all well.

After the usual 2hrs or so satisfactory running-in on analogue on my "test track" (Bachmann E-Z controller),I fitted the decoder and re-introduced the loco to the track. To my dismay,it shot off out of control - this with E-Z controller in the closed position.My initial thoughts (see previous thread) were that the TCS (my first) was different to the others I had fitted,and might need the address changed before it would accept a command.

Over on my programming track, the NCE Powercab was telling me that it couldn't read the decoder,and the Jinty continued to move uncontrollably.Some puffs of smoke were seen. The decoder was removed and returned to TCS,who mistakenly sent me the hard-wire version as replacement. But their service people sorted that out brilliantly,telling me to keep the hard-wire version rather than mail it back. The proper harnessed replacement arrived from them this week. But we had exactly the same experience on the "test-track".

Again TCS have been very good. They will,of course,send yet another replacement (hurrah,for their "goof-proof" warranty). But they said that the previously-returned decoder exhibited damage consistent with shorting,and that the most likely causes were incorrect loco.wiring, or the E-Z controller (which,they said,had a reputation for decoder-destruction.

The Jinty has now been returned to Bachmann under warranty. I fear,however, that I might be in for one of those situations where I'm told there's no problem with the decoder,on the one hand, and no problem with the loco.on the other.

I'll let you know how this pans out.

david r

• RMweb Gold

David

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your problem but I had a series of shorts on my Jinty and it was due to a part of the chassis slipping across in its mounting and touching the back of the wheels - I masked it with black insulating tape and now its a really sweet runner  - it may be worth checking?

I'll look at mine tomorrow and see if I can describe exactly what happened and what the part is

Chris

Most likely site for a wiring fault is the decoder socket. Just needs a bridge between track power in and motor power out. This of course works fine on DC, but is ready to make scrap of any decoder when placed on DCC track power. Which however should not happen, as the first step after decoder install is to place the loco on programme track for the address change to verify a good install - at which point a 'cannot read' or similar fault code should indicate that all is not well.

Rather puzzled by the description of the loco running uncontrollably on the Powercab programming track: unless NCE do things very differently, I thought that there was no permanent power on a programme track, only a current limited sgnal when the programming commands are sent. Thus the decoder is protected from burn out if there is a problem with the decoder installation.

I,too,was surprised by the behaviour on the prog. track. I've changed several addresses and CVs without any loco movement. But you make a good point - check first on the prog. track to confirm that the decoder has been installed correctly.

david r

I had to send my Jinty back as it had a short in the PCB holding the DCC socket. It worked fine in DC but blew up a DCC chip when I tried to run it in DCC mode. Be careful with your DCC chips, Bachmann refuse to take any responsibility for damage caused by their faulty locomotives.

I have  fitted  decoders to Jintys,  but   I have  Hard  wired  them  and  removed all pcbs and decoder  sockets  etc,  it only  involves 4 soldered  joints and  does   provide  more  space for  the  decoder  and  a little  additional ballast within the  loco,  not experienced  any problems  with  performance ,

I used a Bachmann chip on my Jinty and it was a very tight fit and not easy to do!

When the  initial  Jintys  were  released  it  was  in the  pre-digital socket  period and  I  and  a couple  of  others I know  used  TCS decoders  hardwired with the  decoder located  under the chassis  between  the  wheels!!  sounds a bit  silly  but  it  worked! 

I hard wired a decoder into a non DCC ready Jinty.  I used a Digitrax DN135D (quite small and about £15 from Sunningwell Command Control a couple of years ago) which slots nicely into the smokebox below the chimney and above the half round smokebox weight .

• 1 month later...

As promised,an update on this saga.

Bachmann returned the Jinty to me within a week or so,saying that they had replaced the PCB. Meanwhile,over on the other side of the pond,TCS were coming to the conclusion that the 2nd decoder had not,in fact,been damaged so this too was duly returned to me. I fitted it today. Bearing in mind what TCS had said about the E-Z controller,no attempt was made to run it on my "test-track". The new address was set up on my progamming track - and we now have a runner. There is a little jerkiness at very slow crawl speed,but I'm hoping that can be eliminated by some CV tweaking.

So,despite my foreboding,we seem to have a satisfatory outcome.

david r

Archived