The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

THIRTEENTH OF AUGUST IS LEFTHANDED DAY

bbishop

who decided today was lefthanded day? As a formerly ambidextrous now firmly lefthanded chap I have to appreciate the recognitiion of difference, but could they have asked... or picked a better day? Today has been bloody awful.

• RMweb Gold

The thread is less than two hours old and is already wandering off topic.  Love it!  Any comments from left handed people in how they cope in a dextrous world?

Bill

I find it very difficult to stay on thread with my nuts in my left hand

Another leftidexterous here.

The joy of growing up a lefty in the 80s was the need to adapt. I can do pretty much everything with either hand, although my left is my dominant hand. I even use both hands to spray, which really annoys the guys I work with because I find things so much easier than they do. Using knives, scissors, a computer mouse, drill, airbrush, spray gun, I use whichever hand is most convenient.

But writing is always my left hand, and NEVER with a fountain pen!!

Mark

Righty-turned-mouse-lefty...

After a bout of carpal tunnel in the right wrist, forced myself to mouse with my left to share the load. Spent the first week with my right hand guiding my left, figured it out after a while.

Now phone text with both thumbs...

• RMweb Premium

Left-handed modeler here - out and proud ;)

I'm a bit of a mix.  I write and model left-handed but play guitar and hold golf clubs right-handed.  I can use a spoon or scissors either way and have had a few comments made to that effect when I do so apparently randomly.

Still looking for left-hand thread skyhooks though.

I like being different. besides plenty of fellow guitarists are like me - Lefties playing Righty - Knopfler, Moore (RIP), Allman, Gatton, Chris Rea, Fripp, Winter, etc, etc.

It's actually a very long list.

Best, Pete.

I am very strongly left handed. I have adapted to use my right more as I have grown older - but I still favour left.

Whatever way you look at it though - we live in a right handed world and have to adapt to the majority.

It is amazing just how many things are right handed!

• RMweb Gold

I write with my left hand, and tend towards doing fiddly DIY or modelling tasks left handed, but when it comes to strength stuff it's the right - hammers, saws, sockets, spanners, cricket bats all right handed. I can use either hand on many tasks when the access or circumstances dictate. Strange but I rarely experience the problem other lefties have with smudging my own writing. I have always been able to keep my hand below the wet writing.

I have never felt the need for left handed scissors or other gadgets although I did buy a left handed teaspoon from a bloke in the pub and that worked really well. I went back to him and bought a left-handed mirror. Since then I've never looked back.

Anyhow, didn't know it was our day yesterday, and don't feel any different today.

I like being different. besides plenty of fellow guitarists are like me - Lefties playing Righty - Knopfler, Moore (RIP), Allman, Gatton, Chris Rea, Fripp, Winter, etc, etc.

It's actually a very long list.

Best, Pete.

Playing guitar that way has advantages because the left hand is doing the most difficult bit, my daughter has learnt to play that way but plays the drums with the kit set up right handed.

Never seen or played a left handed piano though!

As a schoolboy, my left-handed grip of a pen or pencil was so fierce that I developed a large callus on my middle finger. When I was in sixth form I got interested in calligraphy and started to relax my grip and turned my hand round to be under the writing rather than over it.

Not being totally happy with pushing my arm into my body as I wrote, or with the oblique left-handed nibs you could buy, I started teaching myself to write with my right hand. When he saw the essays I started to produce this way, my form master thought I was developing severe psychological problems until I told him the reason!

Over the years I've alternated between left and right as the mood has taken me, though I always use my left for signing documents. But over 40 years on, my right-handed writing isn't nearly as steady as my left-handed writing.

Oddly enough, apart from holding a spoon, writing has been the only thing I've done mainly with my left hand.

• RMweb Gold

I write with my left hand, and tend towards doing fiddly DIY or modelling tasks left handed, but when it comes to strength stuff it's the right - hammers, saws, sockets, spanners, cricket bats all right handed. I can use either hand on many tasks when the access or circumstances dictate. Strange but I rarely experience the problem other lefties have with smudging my own writing. I have always been able to keep my hand below the wet writing.

I have never felt the need for left handed scissors or other gadgets although I did buy a left handed teaspoon from a bloke in the pub and that worked really well. I went back to him and bought a left-handed mirror. Since then I've never looked back.

Anyhow, didn't know it was our day yesterday, and don't feel any different today.

So called right-handed batsmen actually bat  with their left hand. If you don't believe me, try batting with just one hand. A "right-hander" can use just the left hand but not the right.

But that's cricket for you, a perverse sport in many ways!

Are there really more right-handed people than left-handed? I don't see why there should be statistically. Many people are only right-handed because they  have been forced to conform to a world made for right-handers. I am one of them although not so badly treated as a friend of mine who, at primary school, had her left wrist tied to the desk to make her use her right hand.

Archived