'White, on a white background'- with apologies to Douglas Adams

This site being a fount of knowledge and useful ideas, I wonder if anyone has any bright ideas about how to identify individual transfers on an off-white backing sheet. I've just had a delivery of assorted Modelmaster transfers to finish off some of the wagons that have been sitting around for ages. Whilst those numbers on black backgrounds for unfitted wagons are a piece of cake, I struggle to pick out the individual transfers for fitted wagons. The window above my workbench faces due south, and for perhaps a couple of hours daily, I can hold the sheet obliquely, and see the numbers- if the sun is shining. The trouble is this is precisely the time I don't want to be sat at 'bench..

Does anyone have any particular techniques that they use for this task?

On a related topic, wouldn't it be nice if more manufacturers provided a printed copy of the sheet contents (as CCT do) so that you could identify the variations of vehicles covered? A case in point is the Modelmasters sheet covering post-1964 BR vans and vanfits; there are about eight, possibly more, different types covered by this sheet, and working out which transfer does what involves struggling to read the above-mentioned 'white on white' printing, scribble it down on a sheet, then go through the reference books to find what type it is.

Try the HMRS BR pre-TOPS sheet, Brian - it's like that but worse.

Are these old transfers?  I'm sure Jim Grindlay started printing on light blue paper for precisely this reason after people complained.

I use a lightbox - I can't remember where we got it from but it was about a tenner and worth every penny for this kind of thing.

Try the HMRS BR pre-TOPS sheet, Brian - it's like that but worse.

Are these old transfers?  I'm sure Jim Grindlay started printing on light blue paper for precisely this reason after people complained.

I use a lightbox - I can't remember where we got it from but it was about a tenner and worth every penny for this kind of thing.

No- they're all in the new packaging, and some have a note saying they're a new issue. I did wonder about a lightbox; I might lash something up with a torch..

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian

I had a brain wave of an idea, look on their site and look at the product illustration. Well it was an idea, just they do not have photos of their BR wagon transfers.

Fox on the other hand do and to be even more helpful they are reproduced in black for indentification.

I have, on occasion, coloured the back of a sheet with a felt-tipped marker pen. I am not sure of any adverse long-term effects the ink has on the transfers or glues, but it has worked for me.

I have, on occasion, coloured the back of a sheet with a felt-tipped marker pen. I am not sure of any adverse long-term effects the ink has on the transfers or glues, but it has worked for me.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions; the marker-pen idea seems suitably low-tech for me, so I'll give it a try. I liked the idea of the U.V. note checker, but thing the rest of the people in the check-out queue might object.

• 3 months later...

Being an Edwardian GWR modeller, I use little other than HMRS transfers which are also white on white.

I finally had to invest in a magnifier lamp for my workbench so that I could see - or at least barely make out - the transfers on the sheet.  If I set the magnifier at the right angle and hold the sheet *just so* I get a clear view, which I then have to remember as I set the sheet down to score around where I think my transfer is.

HMRS have mentioned using a different colour backing paper, but say that for some unspecified reason "it's not possible at this time".

At the very least, a small LED spotlight set at the right angle should help.

• RMweb Premium

I finally had to invest in a magnifier lamp for my workbench so that I could see - or at least barely make out - the transfers on the sheet.  If I set the magnifier at the right angle and hold the sheet *just so* I get a clear view, which I then have to remember as I set the sheet down to score around where I think my transfer is.

I do the same but start by scoring gently round the item with a pointed blade so I can see where it is. I'm mainly using Old Time Workshop wagon transfers which come on a pale blue sheet but the smallest items are barely visible.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I've just lettered five cattle wagons, and hereby give my oath that in future I'm going to do the little curly dashes in GWR tare numbers by hand.  Those farty little things are just TOO small to manoeuvre into position on a dark grey background, let alone see on the white sheet beforehand.  A touch of paint will do the job just fine.

Archived