Body kit to go on On30 Bachmann Davenport Chassis

hartleymartin

I've acquired one of the Bachmann "Gas Mechanical" locomotives, with the intention of putting a body kit onto it and make it into a little tram locomotive. For the life of me, I cannot remember where I saw the body kit for it. Any ideas/suggestions? I remember there being a kit specifically for this chassis to turn it into a vertical-boiler loco.

This is the thing I want to model (more or less):

• RMweb Premium

I think the one you want might be from Smallbrook Studio

http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/#/products-new/4569521214/'Etna'-Vertical-boiler-locomotive/3771543

Tim Allsopp from the Trent Valley Group of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn has used this as the basis of a conversion - the Smallbrook kit is designed for a Hornby chassis

Mike

I've acquired one of the Bachmann "Gas Mechanical" locomotives, with the intention of putting a body kit onto it and make it into a little tram locomotive. For the life of me, I cannot remember where I saw the body kit for it. Any ideas/suggestions? I remember there being a kit specifically for this chassis to turn it into a vertical-boiler loco.

Backwood Miniatures do one, just scroll down the page.

http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/0n3kits.htm

I built mine from the first batch of kits produced.

Goes together really well, I have a build thread on NGRM of this loco.

file-36.jpg

Martin

I'm not convinced by the layout of the Backwoods kit. I wouldn't have a locomotive where the driver's legs are potentially exposed to the workings of the motion. In my own mind these things always had the cylinders on the opposite side of the boiler to the crew, because that was where the firebox door would be. I would like to see a photo of the bare castings. I might use the kit as the basis for a kit-bash, saving me from having to scratch/scrounge so many components.

I'm not convinced by the layout of the Backwoods kit. I wouldn't have a locomotive where the driver's legs are potentially exposed to the workings of the motion. In my own mind these things always had the cylinders on the opposite side of the boiler to the crew, because that was where the firebox door would be. I would like to see a photo of the bare castings. I might use the kit as the basis for a kit-bash, saving me from having to scratch/scrounge so many components.

To be honest you don't have much option if you are starting with a gas mechanical chassis, the kit was always done as 'In the style of' rather than a truely prototypical model.

This shows the castings that come in the box.

file.jpg

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

My thoughts are to ditch the supplied water tanks, replace them with my own and put the motion into a more prototypical position. The fact that they are non-working dummies won't bother me all that much. I'll paint the counterbalances and the side-rods red and this will attract most the attention of viewers. I have to first stop finding the original diesel so "cute" so I can bring myself to ditch or hack the body!

Just knocked together mine. I have changed the arrangement a bit though. i have moved the cylinders to the opposite side of the boilder and the motion one can assume is hidden behind the water tank, this takes away the problem of obvious static dummy motion and the motion being next to the driver. I also moved the lubricator and regulator to be within easy reach of the driver and created a bunker on the drivers side of the boiler. To go with all this is a new pipe arrangment and i used some wire to create the pipes, next stage is to paint it but i thought I'd take some photos with a crew on the footplate to show how it all works out. Also i found it useful to remove the electrical circuit board on the chassis and hardwire a DCC chip to it, the boiler/tank part of the body sits much more happily on the chassis now because of it.

1233390_583220135068827_1055959973_n.jpg

999755_583220128402161_278128176_n.jpg

942776_583220131735494_1505844108_n.jpg

1236384_583220211735486_286495344_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice model but, in reality it would be almost impossible to oil or inspect the motion with it hidden by the water tank. It would need an inspection/access hole through the front of the tank above the coupling to be practical. Still a nice looking loco though. 

Phil T.

Archived