OO templates

awwalker

Morning all.

Im in the process of track planning my eyemouth project and needing a left hand turnout of 72" radius as quick reference against the drawings ive produced.  I know peco do templates but these only go up to 60" radius. 

Im not a dab hand with xtrackcad yet so if anybody has template of this radius i would be most grateful to receive!  Like i said its just a quick tempory measure as i will probably hand build track anyway.

Cheers in advance

Andrew

Templot is easy to use if you just want track templates, and then you can practise with it to produce exactly what you need for hand building the track. It only gets difficult if you want to plan the whole layout on it.

• RMweb Gold

I'm in the process of track planning my eyemouth project and needing a left hand turnout of 72" radius

Hi Andrew,

There is actually no such thing as a 72" turnout. You need to specify which of several possible radii you mean. What folks usually mean is that the substitution radius should be 72". But the actual radius in the rails within it may then be much less than that.

Here attached are two 00-SF templates from Templot (free to use) which you can print. When printing make you you set "no scaling" in your PDF reader program.

The brown one is B-6.25 size with generic-type crossing. The substitution radius is 74". But the actual radius in the rails is only 45" between the switch and the crossing. The overall length as drawn is 288mm.

The blue one is B-8 size with generic-type crossing. The substitution radius is 119". The actual radius in the rails is 81" between the switch and the crossing. The overall length as drawn is 321mm.

B-8 is a common size which many track builders would regard as a "large radius" turnout. The actual radius will vary a lot according to the various settings which you can change in Templot.

PDF file for printing:

00_sf_templates_for_andrew.pdf

post-1103-0-23018700-1376581326.png

regards,

Martin.

Templot is easy to use if you just want track templates, and then you can practise with it to produce exactly what you need for hand building the track. It only gets difficult if you want to plan the whole layout on it.

In what way do you find Templot difficult to use when planning whole layouts?  Personally, I have used it exclusively on my own layout and find it one of the most comprehensive layout planning software packages there is.  It's absolutely invaluable for planning a whole layout and then printing sections of full size track plans.

Not arguing the point, just curious...

Thanks for those Martin its much appreciated.

Templot is something i have downloaded and had a go with but i have to say i dont think it all that easy to use if you are not familiar with turnout construction.  I am a skilled AutoCad operator and i think im expecting the operations to be the same!

In what way do you find Templot difficult to use when planning whole layouts?  Personally, I have used it exclusively on my own layout and find it one of the most comprehensive layout planning software packages there is.  It's absolutely invaluable for planning a whole layout and then printing full size track layouts.

Not arguing the point, just curious...

In the sense that I would love a computer that works like the ones in Star Trek, where I can just talk to it and it will do what I want :jester:

I've designed a few possible layouts on it, but get a bit stuck with some of the fine detail and alignment, that takes a bit more learning than I've got the patience to do at the moment! But I still think it's great and pretty straightforward to use for a design that's good enough for what I want. I was really suggesting that it's easy to use to produce track templates, rather than being difficult to design whole layouts!

I found Templot baffling at first, but then it suddenly clicked.  In essence there are a few keys that will get you going.  F3 to lengthen a piece of track.  F6 to curve it.  F7 to join the piece of track you are working on to the next.  F5 will adjust the angle of a turnout.  Forget trying to add a turnout in the same way you join pieces of track in RTR.  Make the curve to the radius you want and then insert a turnout into the curve.

Of course this is a simplification, but enough to whet your appetite and possibly get you started.

No link at all to Templot.  Just a happy convert....

Archived