Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Changing to a different system

Ruston

I am considering changing my DCC system from my present Dynamis to something else.

The question is, will I have to add each locomotive's name and number into the new system - are the names and numbers stored in the handset or do they work off what's on the individual decoder? i.e. if I select number 5 on the new system, will it know which engine is number 5 on my present system?

Worse still, do I have to reprogram each decoder again?

Thanks,

You'll probably have to do nothing, other than key in the address as you select each loco to use.

The Dynamis is fairly unusual in having a list of loco names stored inside it(*). 

Most other systems don't store anything about a loco within the system, you just type "loco 5 - enter" to select the locomotive you want to drive. 

(* others which store a list would include the ESU ECoS, the Roco MultiMaus,  and one or two others  )

- Nigel

All your decoders will be fine. Chances are that unlike on your Dynamis your new system will not require you to use the roster and there will be no need to enter the locos in to the roster before you can drive them, on most systems you just key in the loco address and drive it.

As Nigel mentioned: not all systems include 'names' for locos - a feature which you may have becomne used to on the Dynamis - As you will have become aware, it can make loco selection VERY much easier than having to identify the number of the loco, and the time taken to enter digits particularly if swapping back and forth between a few locos: enough to persuade you to use more handsets if they don't have the library built in!!

It is partly an indication of how old / new the base sysytem is... as to how friendly and informative the display is capable of being, and this may also be reflected in how less common functions are achieved.

Note that the 'latest' controller generation are now beginning to make use of phone/ similar handsets giving a cordless wifi connection - There is the just-released Hornby e-link, which will probably want a booster added for multi-train layouts, and the Roco z21 and Z21 (white z21 in starter sets - no backwards capability to use the Multimaus handsets, unlike the full black Z21 version)

There is also a small error in the Multimaus handbook, which states that CV1 (ie locos 1-99) can be entered into the Library (64 locos per handset)... whereas long addresses can also be used in the library. 

Even in 5-characters it is useful to have meaningful names as an alternative to the actual decoder address eg 37-G  37-BG 37NSE for example of a 3 different class 37's, in Green, Blue Grey and Network SouthEast liveries.

The phone-based handsets usually allow longer (full) names and a picture of the loco.  

You will want any change in controller to be an advance, and not a backward step 8-)

rgds

Phil

As Nigel mentioned: not all systems include 'names' for locos - a feature which you may have becomne used to on the Dynamis - As you will have become aware, it can make loco selection VERY much easier than having to identify the number of the loco, and the time taken to enter digits particularly if swapping back and forth between a few locos: enough to persuade you to use more handsets if they don't have the library built in!!

It is partly an indication of how old / new the base sysytem is... as to how friendly and informative the display is capable of being, and this may also be reflected in how less common functions are achieved.

Note that the 'latest' controller generation are now beginning to make use of phone/ similar handsets giving a cordless wifi connection - There is the just-released Hornby e-link, which will probably want a booster added for multi-train layouts, and the Roco z21 and Z21 (white z21 in starter sets - no backwards capability to use the Multimaus handsets, unlike the full black Z21 version)

You will want any change in controller to be an advance, and not a backward step 8-)

rgds

Phil

Depends what you mean by an advance. The advance I want is in reliability as I've had two Dynamis handsets fail in 3 years. I've gone for a Gaugemaster Prodigy Express this time. I hope this lasts longer than the Bachman product!

I've rigged it up and have run a couple of engines. I'm going to have to put numbers on them all as I won't be able to remember their address numbers and with the Dynamis I had put in either their names or a description, e.g. Ixion Hudswell.

Dave,

Your locos already have numbers so use those - at least as a basis for their addresses.  How many locos do you have of each class?  If only one, then the class number can be the address.  Alternatively, you could use an extract of each locos number.  I use two-digit addresses rather than four-digit so use the first and last digits in the loco number; you could use the last two digits.  If that results in duplication then you might have to rethink one of them but try to be consistent and eventually you will find that you rememebr them.  It would be a pity to deface your locos with an additional number.

Harold.

Dave,

It would be a pity to deface your locos with an additional number.

Harold.

Although you could use the sticky bit of a Post-it as

a temporary solution, until you got used to the 'just

number' system.

Jeff

Dave,

Your locos already have numbers so use those - at least as a basis for their addresses.  How many locos do you have of each class?  If only one, then the class number can be the address.  Alternatively, you could use an extract of each locos number.  I use two-digit addresses rather than four-digit so use the first and last digits in the loco number; you could use the last two digits.  If that results in duplication then you might have to rethink one of them but try to be consistent and eventually you will find that you rememebr them.  It would be a pity to deface your locos with an additional number.

Harold.

Only Nos.2, 3 and 4 have numbers, though some have names. Most have neither name or number.

Only Nos.2, 3 and 4 have numbers, though some have names. Most have neither name or number.

Suggestion : take a photo of each loco,  paste modest sized photo into a table in a word file and type other details alongside the photo, such as DCC address (in large print!) and any other useful information.   Print off several copies,  consider laminating them.  Place at strategic positions around layout. 

Attached are jpeg copies of my Diesel and UNIT Summary Charts - two of several which I have printed at A3 and on the wall of the loft.    I had 32 locos by the time Zero-1 was actually released with its  16 loco range !  Years later 4 digits in dcc was a great relief

I basically use first 2 and last 2 digits, which commonly dropped a central zero with BR steam, but drops the sub-class with diesels )

Only 2 ex-southern loco models cause duplication, with their  300xx and 301xx numbers.

I have also used 'Class Number' where I have only 1 of a Class; then, over the years, this was split to have Blue/Grey series with TOPS numbering using their Class Number, and the original 4-digit number for green / pre TOPS locos, as there is no other indication to guide visitors 8-) .

post-11471-0-09216600-1377172329_thumb.jpg

Multiple units, usually in differing liveries, create other variations:  Most use the Unit's Class - but again, green units  only have their actual 4-digit unit number.

post-11471-0-50540900-1377173027_thumb.jpg

My collection of Class 121s use their 4-digit number except my repaint - which being unnumbered - uses the Class number.

in LIBRARY mode, the units are individually identified by name: 121_G, 121BG, 121BY, ...

and HSTs are 253 onwards as new liveries are added (253,254,255,256,257....)  It was simpler before privatisation !

In the case of tghe Roco Multimaus, the mode can be changed, without loss, as a simple toggle function.

When used with a MultiCentralPro Base Station, the Red Multimaus handset also provides  CV feedback, as it does when used with the earlier Rocomotion interface. This probably applies when used with the new Z21 (biit not z21)

A demo of the Multimaus software can be downloaded free from the Roco.cc site.

Photos trimmed in !Photodesk and combined in !Artworks on RISCOS ( available on a Raspberry Pi )

I don't understand what you are saying - all my steam and diesel locos have numbers on their cabs.

Some of my steam and diesel locos have numbers, some have names and some have neither. Which part don't you understand? :scratchhead:

I have 17 engines. Some, like this one, have a number.

post-494-0-48350700-1377247154.jpg

Some, like this one, have names.

post-494-0-60911600-1377247054.jpg

And some, like this one, have neither name or number.

post-494-0-00273400-1377247244.jpg

With the Dynamis I could put in the names or a description but with the new system I cannot. Therefore I will have to give them all numbers.

• RMweb Gold

Some of my steam and diesel locos have numbers, some have names and some have neither. Which part don't you understand? :scratchhead:

I have 17 engines. Some, like this one, have a number.

attachicon.gifrailpicstoday-009.jpg

Some, like this one, have names.

attachicon.gifJubilee-004.jpg

And some, like this one, have neither name or number.

attachicon.gifEvening-Hudswell1.jpg

With the Dynamis I could put in the names or a description but with the new system I cannot. Therefore I will have to give them all numbers.

A fine example of ASSUME making an ASS of U and ME. On the one hand you knew what locos you were using and assumed we would understand that and on the other hand the list responders assumed you were talking about mainstream railways whose locos are bedecked with numbers. Could you not make use of the works numbers, some of  your locos seem to fitted with works plates which may have numbers on them?

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

A fine example of ASSUME making an ASS of U and ME. On the one hand you knew what locos you were using and assumed we would understand that and on the other hand the list responders assumed you were talking about mainstream railways whose locos are bedecked with numbers.

All my locos have numbers, too. But this sentence "I'm going to have to put numbers on them all" implied that not all Ruston's locos currently had/have them.

There is also a small error in the Multimaus handbook, which states that CV1 (ie locos 1-99) can be entered into the Library (64 locos per handset)... whereas long addresses can also be used in the library. 

Even in 5-characters it is useful to have meaningful names as an alternative to the actual decoder address eg 37-G  37-BG 37NSE for example of a 3 different class 37's, in Green, Blue Grey and Network SouthEast liveries.

The phone-based handsets usually allow longer (full) names and a picture of the loco.  

rgds

Phil

If using a Roco Multimaus, why not just use the full alphanumeric 5 digit loco tops no for the address tags ? ie D6607 or 37403 etc,  there's no need then to remember what the actual DCC address is for any loco. 

HTH

Ken

If using a Roco Multimaus, why not just use the full alphanumeric 5 digit loco tops no for the address tags ? ie D6607 or 37403 etc,  there's no need then to remember what the actual DCC address is for any loco. 

HTH

Ken

If they are of the large-letter variety, then no problems using the TOPS 5 digits - but personally I think a class 37 SHAPE is easier to see, and then its colour across a large distance 8-)    I also want a system which works with named steam locos and overseas stock .... I have differing LIBRARY LISTS of 64 locos each (max) in differing Multimause handsets: - they can be copied from one to another as required, if approriate.    On my Class 121 Bubble Cars, for instance, the D 55xx number is too small to read at any distance, as is the UNIT number on SR Green period stock ... and my multiples-of-a-class tend to be of differing liveries 8-)

I sencerely hope the original poster has NOT YET committed themselves to a system without names/library as it is a retrogressive step: there are many options available, and they are reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response - been on holiday.  Thanks for the explanation - I see you are referring to a few industrial locos.

Archived