Lord & Butler, Cardiff

Danemouth

My first 'real' loco came from James Lendon in 1961 - a Hornby Dublo West Country 'Barnstable'. I still have it - took for a spin on the club layout last year. It worked straight away despite not having turned a wheel since 1976. It was a bit smelly - it needs a good servicing as everything had dried out.

I worked in Bud's from 1965 to 1981 on Saturdays (on 16th October, the first Saturday after my 15th birthday) - started downstairs and worked my way upstairs to the railway department - which is where I wanted to be right from the start. Good bloke was Bud. I started at 10/- for the day. It rose quickly to £1 - quadrupled my pocket money!

For those that asked about his arm - at the age of 11, he slipped under a tram while going to the baker's across the road to get some stale cake. He was an excellent photographer despite his handicap. He won the Amateur Photographer of the Year competition of the Daily Herald with his Hasselblad. The picture was of his daughter with an ice-cream in front of a dark-red brick wall. He was also a pioneer in model aircraft - balsa wood and paper tissue type. There was a connection between him and Keil Kraft - but I don't know the details.

To come back on-topic: Peter worked there too and, I in my humble opinion, has become the successor of Bud.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I still have the Hornby Lord of the Isles bought from there by my late mother for my 7th birthday.

Rob.

Anybody remember Bud Morgan in the Castle Arcade ? Agree with every word posted above re: Lord & Butler.

Yes - whenever we 'went to town' and got off the 'trolley' by 'The Angel' Bud Morgan's would be our first stop.

There was also 'Howell Williams

In The Morgan Arcade was 'John Hall Tools' which also sold model railway bits and pieces.

On Mill Lane was 'The Model Shop' ( which later became a 'sex shop' ) where I was tempted to temporarily go 009 with a Playcraft Decauville tank and a Minitrains 0-4-0ST.

In late 1979, when I was first paid to walk the streets of Ely, a Wilson Road shopkeeper discovered a treasure trove of early 1960s Tri-ang and Hornby Dublo products, new and boxed in his storeroom, and sold them to a colleague at the decimal equivalent of the original price tags !! (I found out too late, otherwise......).

Then, who recalls "Terry's Train Shop" in Broadway ? - Something like a Monty Python character, the chap behind the counter was, on a good day, obstructive, argumentative and abusive. 

The shop didn't last long.

Older Cardiffians may also recall "Weisbard's" near Mill Lane, the original for "'Arkwright's" in Open all Hours, and where my father would by fixtures and fittings for the dolls house and fort models he would build to order, for workmates, in the lead up to Christmas.

To be fair, Lendon's a.k.a. James & Lendon is more a general model shop than a model railway shop, and stocks a number items which L&B do not, especially an extensive and varied selection of paints.

As for Antics, they appear to be living on borrowed time as their Wood Street premises are slated for demolition and redevelopment to allow the occupants of "'Aunty's" new Welsh HQ a more interesting outlook.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Then, who recalls "Terry's Train Shop" in Broadway ? - Something like a Monty Python character, the chap behind the counter was, on a good day, obstructive, argumentative and abusive.

Yup. Unforgettable - but not necessarily in a good way.

I could think of other ways to describe this individual - none of them anywhere near as polite as your version.

I only visited his (rather bare looking) emporium once - went in the door, to be instantly "greeted" with a surly "What do you want?!!"

For some reason, I quickly decided that he didn't want (or deserve) my custom - and I did an immediate about turn. Strange as this might seem, I never made a repeat visit.

I can't possibly think why.

Seriously, I can't possibly think why ... it lasted as long as it did.

Huw.

Yes - whenever we 'went to town' and got off the 'trolley' by 'The Angel' Bud Morgan's would be our first stop.

In The Morgan Arcade was 'John Hall Tools' which also sold model railway bits and pieces.

On Mill Lane was 'The Model Shop' ( which later became a 'sex shop' ) where I was tempted to temporarily go 009 with a Playcraft Decauville tank and a Minitrains 0-4-0ST.

In late 1979, when I was first paid to walk the streets of Ely, a Wilson Road shopkeeper discovered a treasure trove of early 1960s Tri-ang and Hornby Dublo products, new and boxed in his storeroom, and sold them to a colleague at the decimal equivalent of the original price tags !! (I found out too late, otherwise......).

Older Cardiffians may also recall "Weisbard's" near Mill Lane, the original for "'Arkwright's" in Open all Hours, and where my father would by fixtures and fittings for the dolls house and fort models he would build to order, for workmates, in the lead up to Christmas.

To be fair, Lendon's a.k.a. James & Lendon is more a general model shop than a model railway shop, and stocks a number items which L&B do not, especially an extensive and varied selection of paints.

As for Antics, they appear to be living on borrowed time as their Wood Street premises are slated for demolition and redevelopment to allow the occupants of "'Aunty's" new Welsh HQ a more interesting outlook.

Brian R

Yes I remember them all but as you say Brian Terry's Train shop what a bloke if you went in the shop and just looked around and didn't buy anything you could look

out you as you would get some abuse, not surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Cheers GARETH

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

• RMweb Gold

Brian R

Known amongst my circle as 'Terry the Tw@ts shop'

Rob

• Like 3

Without wishing to hijack the thread and make it off-topic (again!) - what about A H Bakers on Wellfield Road?

He did Hornby Dublo and Minic ships. I had a bargain (or so I thought at the time) two Hornby Dublo locos - an N2 and Sir Nigel Gresley (LNER blue) with valances - for 7/6d. Both had bust wheels - mazak rot. Re-wheeled and converted to two-rail. What made these a bit special for me was that they had horseshoe magnet motors - and they still work despite their age.

I repainted the A4 but carefully retained the original transfers intact. Hornby of course cheated - motion? What motion? You've got valances, what more do you want?

And I never knew about Terry the Twunts shop, even though I lived just around the corner.

I bet you won't find the same locos in L&B's (to bring it back OT) ;) . (Thank deity I hear some say.)

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it is over egging the pudding to say that Adrian and Peter provide an invaluable service to the modellers of Cardiff and perhaps South Wales.

I go to Lendons for bits and bobs but I work close to L&B( perhaps too close!) and pop in on my way home.....more often than not leaving with a little something....

We are very fortunate.

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise parcel arrived for me yesterday from L&B - it was much bigger than expected. Class 66 'Evening Star' was inside and so was 'Sir Daniel Gooch' .............. but not the Class 47 that I was expecting but the GWR Class 800 - nice! All had been pre-ordered save a couple and I got lucky. Thank you Lord and Butler.

Cheers,

Philip

Having now found L&B it's become a firm favourite on regular visits to the 'Diff.

I'm usually told ohhhh you just missed Mr Rolley or NHY......no doubt our paths will cross soon.

'Mr Williams'.......in Bud Morgans......tall chap used to wear a blue nylon overcoat?

Still got a few Airfix kits here with Garth Models stickers on!!!

• Like 2

@ Black Rat

Yup, Mr Williams. He worked downstairs and was more into the model aircraft/boat side of the business. I think he wore the nylon coat less and less in later years. His sister in law, the petite one (Mrs Williams), was up in the railway room and so was Bud's sister (the taller one - Mrs Morgan). I think I was moved upstairs when one of the 'ladies' retired - or they only did half days on Saturdays for a while before finally stopping altogether. Mr Williams was an ex-steelworker from Port Talbot and he drove a black Singer (Riley 155 style) and then a Marina - I know - he used to give me a lift home on Saturday evening after a quick pint in The Jockey in Womanby Street (once I was old enough to drink ;) ). All the staff were brilliant especially to me being the 'youngster' - at the time. Funnily, I don't remember their first names - mind you in those days, it was always a bit of minding your Ps&Qs - so 'Mr' and 'Mrs' it was - even Bud!!

Cheers,

Philip

Edit: Lyn Williams - now for the two 'ladies'. Only an hour of thunking.

Re-edit: May Williams - now for Mrs Morgan - not bad, two hours only (it was 37 years ago when I left!).

Edited by Philou
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As we are down Cardiff Memory Lane (nowadays it means the bakery on Maes-y-Coed Road), I remember Bud's, The Model Shop (tiny but covered floor to ceiling and up the stairs with stuff in packets), Howell Williams (Kitmaster kits), and John Hall (Hornby Dublo and always a good layout in the basement for xmas); all the places mentioned.  Terry the T*^t was actually a good shop once you took Terry out of the equation; he was a miserable sod who seemed constantly resentful that he was not becoming a millionaire off our backs.  But one could get most things there, and he stocked Smith's scale couplings, the only place in Cardiff at the time that did.

Now I know this is going to sound like a Little Britain sketch, but Gay's Toy Shop in Albany Road, where Mr Gay would take young boys into the back room to show them his range of Airfix kits.  It really was a different world back then.

Another good stop for railway modellers was Grimwade's, a big second hand emporium in Canton. Lots of s/h of variable quality, but all cheap as chips for our meagre pocket money.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

Terry the T*^t was actually a good shop once you took Terry out of the equation; he was a miserable sod who seemed constantly resentful that he was not becoming a millionaire off our backs. But one could get most things there, and he stocked Smith's scale couplings, the only place in Cardiff at the time that did.

I used to buy my Smith's couplings there , but when I bought a couple of packets from there many years ago , Terry wasn't there, but he had someone else minding the shop , I gave the said stand in shopkeeper iirc probably a £10 note for my goods , the bloke put them in a bag , and handed me probably something like £17 in change , I left the shop rather quick !

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interesting day today.

Popped into Lendons and enquired regarding the stock of Bachmann wagons as I couldn't see many on display.....actually none.

I was told they had plenty..what did I want. Not sure I said. I just wanted to have a look and see what I fancy. Ah......best look on the website. Are they here then I replied yes but you're better off looking on the website..........

I then left, went to Lord and Butler, was allowed to rummage and spent £29......

Rob.

Interesting day today.

Popped into Lendons and enquired regarding the stock of Bachmann wagons as I couldn't see many on display.....actually none.

I was told they had plenty..what did I want. Not sure I said. I just wanted to have a look and see what I fancy. Ah......best look on the website. Are they here then I replied yes but you're better off looking on the website..........

I then left, went to Lord and Butler, was allowed to rummage and spent £29......

Rob.

Useful info....was going to pop in Saturday....think it will be L&B instead!

Lendons is only really much use if you can tell them exactly what you want, often by pointing at it or quoting a serial number!

I drive past there most days, but rarely call in, as you can't browse in there.

Can't see them lasting very long in this day and age. The main benefit of visiting a store, to my mind anyway, is to enjoy the browsing, looking, discussion, purchase experience.

Can't see them lasting very long in this day and age. The main benefit of visiting a store, to my mind anyway, is to enjoy the browsing, looking, discussion, purchase experience.

Lendons, which also sells plastic kits has operated in that way for many years though TBH they have nothing like the space L & B have.

I go there when I need something e.g. paint quickly. I live in walking distance of them but prefer L & B even though it means a round trip of over 12 miles.

Dave

Is it me or has no one mentioned Garth Model Co on Whitchurch Road?

Lendons as I lived in Llanishen was my model shop, Mr James or the James in James and Lendon ran it and was always helpful and would happily show me what ever I wanted to see that he had in stock.

Dispute the fact my pocket money was only 50p!

James and Lendon was a bicycle (James) and model shop (Lendon), something happened to Mr Lendon and Mr James took over the modeling side or so the story goes.  

• 1 month later...

Brian R

I remember Terrys train shop, dad and I took my class 91 (no longer in my possession) for repair in about 1993 ish, wasn't much help though I recall but I was only 7 at the time, lendons are pretty good for spares esp brushes and traction tyres and they actually do loco remagnatising for triang locos as he did my entire stock of triang Hornby locos for me plus up the road from me, lord and butler are ok for second hand but don't service their second hand locos as I have found out numerous times as I have had to service the locos myself to get them running decent and its a nuisance driving to Penarth road all the way from heath on a Saturday and their second hand stock has dwindled a bit apart from that I have used L&B since they opened, Will I continue to use them? Definitely Yes as they are always helpful in there credit to peter and Adrian, there used to be a model shop in Newport near the broad street bridge.

Edited by vikingsmb