Maybach music

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Hence my caveat re accuracy of sounds - do you know of a clip with start up on it?

Also need some of those lovely etched Falcons to enhance embellishment.

Is one of the easiest non sound ready installs yet - the round speaker supplied with the chip just sits in its sound box between the sides of the cast chassis once the PCB is pushed as far as it will go in its mountings to the opposite end. Just had to be sure not to foul bogie tower or cardan shaft. Also cut off internal stubs of engine and preheater exhausts to ensure they don't foul the speaker and allow a further exit route for the sound, although the twin rad fan grilles also do this of course as well as allowing cooling air to circulate to the chip.

30 minutes - done

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't aware that Falcon, being diesel electric, had a dynostarter?

Mike.

I have in my book collection a copy of a sales broucher for the "Falcon"locomotive dated 2nd February 1962, I have had a read through it but it dose say how the engines are started by either dyno-starter or by electricly driven starter motor.

Terry

• RMweb Gold

I have in my book collection a copy of a sales broucher for the "Falcon"locomotive dated 2nd February 1962, I have had a read through it but it dose say how the engines are started by either dyno-starter or by electricly driven starter motor.

Terry

Well, that's me confused.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Settle down gentlemen!

Been hunting for an equipment diagram - heres one on the excellent class 47 web site

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_feature_424.php#

No mention of a dynastarter as Mike alluded - or other starter motor

Hence generators must have been used to start the diesels - resulting in something that potentially sounds a bit different, which is what Mike was suggesting I think. As I said in the initial post - caveats applied.

I also suspect that given a different exhaust configuration the resonance was different to a Wessie

But in the absence of definitive sound evidence....

She wont be starting her engines on Abbotswood, just running through

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Premium

TBH not totally impressed with the sounds . Western not bad but I always thought they revved higher than that, Hymeck sounds a bit 'tinny' think both would benefit from some beefier speakers to enhance the deeper tones. Of course this is my opinion only and if the OP is happy then there is no problem.

• RMweb Gold

TBH not totally impressed with the sounds . Western not bad but I always thought they revved higher than that, Hymeck sounds a bit 'tinny' think both would benefit from some beefier speakers to enhance the deeper tones. Of course this is my opinion only and if the OP is happy then there is no problem.

I'm inclined to agree but I think - as Phil has already noted - that the size of the speakers must be a factor.  The Hymeks always seem to me to have a very 'deep' sound plus of course the transmission noises which might be difficult to replicate accurately.  Overall i still have reservations about sound but some of Abbotswood's running at shows do indicate that it can be good when done properly.

• RMweb Gold

Have to agree on that Mike - am not sure any of the hydraulic sound files have got the transmission changes right

Having said that the effectiveness can be judged by some of the reactions seen at shows - jaws do drop occasionally! You do have to drive to the sound file rather than expect it always to react to your driving - and actually that tends to force more realistic operations.

Perfect it aint - agreed - but diesel sounds are good enough to add a certain extra for the majority of observers. Not sure that steam has quite got there yet, although admittedly is much more complex.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I agree Phil, generally diesel sounds are better than steam and given the difficulty of recording hydraulics I think that the sounds are acceptable and will improve in the future. We are a little behind our continental counterparts regarding sound especially in steam outline. However I have just seen DCC automatic coupling and uncoupling in HO which excites me more than sound.

• RMweb Gold

Now coupling - whilst a minor subject for us on Abbotswood - could certainly add much more realism to a lot of layouts.

The prospect of a chip in every vehicle to enable this might be tenable for a small fleet - but not for us!

Cheers

Phil

Archived