Do we have to have so many posts pinned to the top of forum

As the topic says, do we need to have so many pinned items at the top of the forum. Its not as if the pinned topics are of special modelinfg interest. I do not know chubber or his modelling skils, but it seems disprportionate that there are so many pinned topics from the same person, with no special contect. Why not make every post pinned.  Now I have to go almost to the bottom of the page just to see the latest posts. Is it just me, or do others feel the same.

• RMweb Gold

I have no idea what you are referring to, but suggest you may find easier ways of browsing. I never see pinned items at all. Every time I click the RMweb link in my Favourites it takes me straight to Active Content which lists in time order every topic that has been posted or received a post in the last 24 hours. Since all the topics I post in have a star in the left hand column, it is easy to follow those of particular interest. As such I don't follow topics or forums at all, but simply find items of interest as I descend the pages.

Use of Active Content guarantees you will see every topic, including some you didn't know about, but which might interest you.

I do not know chubber or his modelling skils, but it seems disprportionate that there are so many pinned topics from the same person

Well perhaps you should - then you might understand why.

I actually don't see ANY pinned topics - that is because like many I never look at the "home" page - which is - and I'll agree with you here - very muddled and full of not particularly useful stuff.

Try following RMWeb by the "View New Content" Button - it will give you a list of all active topics - the ones folk are currently discussing. And as a tip ignore Wheeltappers unless you really are prepared to waste time.

Not only are there too many pinned topics but there are too many forums and sub-forums, the whole place sometimes seems way out of control. Inevitably you cannot follow it all - no one can but the "new topics" is a good place to start then set the settings up in your profile to receive an email when someone posts to a topic you have participated in - presumably interests you. Useful for those layouts that you really like but do not progress much.

But if you never go to the front page like me you never see what is pinned or not.

As the topic says, do we need to have so many pinned items at the top of the forum. Its not as if the pinned topics are of special modelinfg interest. I do not know chubber or his modelling skils, but it seems disprportionate that there are so many pinned topics from the same person, with no special contect. Why not make every post pinned.  Now I have to go almost to the bottom of the page just to see the latest posts. Is it just me, or do others feel the same.

I'd be surprised if there was nothing of interest for you in Chubber's Pinned Topics - they are well worth reading but you are obviously in a great hurry.

As the topic says, do we need to have so many pinned items at the top of the forum. " I do not know chubber or his modelling skils", but it seems disprportionate that there are so many pinned topics from the same person, with no special contect. 

Steve I think you're a bit of a dog in the manger, you may well not know Chubber but if you take the trouble to read through his entries you couldn't deny his skills in that field. If you do deny his skill I personally feel sorry for your non appreciation of a very gifted person, absence of spelling mistakes is just one instance.

• RMweb Gold

For those not sure of the OP's issue, click on the "Card Structure Modelling Forum" link at the top of this page (i.e.. the one you are reading) which is part of the breadcrumb of where you are on the forum.

There are several threads by Chubber, and as has been said - they are some of the best examples of card modelling around - we can all learn a lot from him.

• RMweb Gold

For those not sure of the OP's issue, click on the "Card Structure Modelling Forum" link at the top of this page (i.e.. the one you are reading) which is part of the breadcrumb of where you are on the forum.

Did that, and found it took approx .8 of a second to scroll down to reading this, the latest thread in the forum. Is this, by any chance, actually about the limitations of devices that aren't desktop PCs?

• RMweb Gold

Did that, and found it took approx .8 of a second to scroll down to reading this, the latest thread in the forum. Is this, by any chance, actually about the limitations of devices that aren't desktop PCs?

Agree entirely - there aren't too many pinned posts there in my view and it is very easy to scroll down past them if they don't interest you.  But we all have our different ways of using RMweb and it might depend on you finding what best suits you - for example I always use 'View New Posts' and have it set to 24hours although today I had it set to 1 week in order to look at what I'd missed while on holiday.

Experiment with finding your way around the site and see what suits you but be prepared to find pinned posts in some categories - they're there for a good reason, whoever wrote them.

If you look in USA and Canadian Railroads there are a number of pinned Topics - but that's because they relate to specific subjects like US Layout Designs - which can be added to by anyone! It also saves having a good deal of repetitive Topics for each new layout design that people come across. 

Not perfect (what is?) but it works....

Best, Pete.

Dougs (Chubbers) posts are very informative, his techniques and tools that he uses is of benefit to anyone building card models, the results he gets is all you need to see to realise this.

Also his techniques are useful for building both scalescenes and your own kits Steve.

Being pinned gives you easy access to reference information that you would otherwise have to trawl through this forum section to find.

Archived