Bromsgrove 1958-1965

Barry M

I went back to the drawing board.

I had to think of what everyone was suggesting and what was operable.

First of all, I needed to look for a real track plan and work from there. Bromsgrove was the obvious choice for me as it's in my 'neck of the woods'.

Having sold all my OO gauge locos etc. some years ago, a change of gauge wasn't going to be difficult.

The space I will have in the completed garage conversion would never take this in OO Gauge, so I have decided to move to N Gauge.

It is based on 11 feet long but I may have 12 feet available so it could lengthen a touch!

Completely controlled by DDC, I have the opportunity to have the Lickey Bankers waiting at Bromsgrove South, through expresses such as the Devonian Express as well as the local services and Goods.

I obtained the track plans from the National Railway Museum, but have adapted them to allow for the space, particularly around the Goods Yard and the distance between Bromsgrove South Junction and Bromsgrove Station.

The extensive Wagon works to the North East of the Station, I have had to ignore, again due to Space issues.

Please let me have your thoughts and comments.

Thank you.

Barry M.

post-19583-0-98400700-1377426724_thumb.jpg

Thats a nice idea Barry, I will be doing a similar type of thing when I move house and re build Bute Road, the main difference being that mine will be OO and I have a nice Midlands Viaduct for the other wall.

I will use the Bromsgrove type idea as an open Fiddle Yard where I can exchange locos and shunt wagons.

I think your plan, in the area you have available, and in N Gauge would work really well and I will look forward to seeing it develop on the Layouts section very soon, you will also find that if you post this as a plan on there you will get lots of positive feedback and advice.

Andy :sungum:

Looks like a good plan.

One thing that stands out though: i'm assuming the loops at the top of the plan are a fiddle yard? If so then it will probably work better to have 3 longer loops for each line rather than the crossovers using up space for the outer line to cross the inner to access them.

Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not sure how a model of Bromsgrove can be of Bromsgrove without even a small sample of Lickey Incline!

Not sure how I'd go about doing so, but there is/was a layout of Shap which had complicated hidden return loops to enable trains that went up the grade to return to the bottom.

Archived