Bachmann G2 - swapping of tender or removal of BR symbol

Hello,

I purchased the G2 49064 over Christmas. 49064 was the last LNWR locomotive to leave Tredegar shed in 1959. I was delighted to see that Bachmann had used the 86K shed code badge on the front, but for the loco to be accurate, it needs the original 'cycling lion' emblem and not the later BR logo.

So two questions, the initial as I've not taken this out of its box yet:

a) can you swap tenders between the G2s or are they hard-wired?

B) if I need to remove the emblem, how easy is this with a Bachmann loco?

subsidiary question: Who supplies the best 'cycling lion' emblems?

many thanks

regards

• RMweb Premium

... if I need to remove the emblem, how easy is this with a Bachmann loco?

Easy with a cocktail stick and isopropyl alcohol - my preferred method of removing Bachmann markings.

Place cocktail stick in pin chuck for better grip / control.

Dip cocktail stick in IPA and apply to the first character / item to be erased and start rubbing, confining area of rubbing to the character itself as far as possible.

Keep the area being treated and the end of the cocktail stick damp with IPA throughout the operation.

When a build-up of dissolved paint occurs, a quick wipe with a tissue dampened (not wet !) with IPA will remove the residue.

When all lettering elements / residue have been removed you will be left with shiny patches. This is largely due to the removal of the satin varnish which Bachmann apply to the entire body.

However, a gloss finish is required for the application of the new transfers. I prefer to apply Klear floor lacquer to unify the surface finish before applying the new transfers.

After the transfers have been applied and given 24 hours to dry, another coat of Klear is applied to seal the transfers.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi Philip,

Julian & John have definately covered the re-decaling subject most eloquently, all i have to add is that the tender on this loco is removeable.

There is a metal drawbar which simply unclips, below this is the wiring loom - the plug of which fits into a socket on the LOCO!!!!!

To remove mine, i had to unclip the the loco brake rodding but this is all acetal type plastic and very flexible so no harm done there.

However, if you follow Julian and John's comments, you probably don't need to change the tender!

Cheers,

John E.

thanks for the replies.

they will all be useful.

I need a number of G2s in LMS livery and also with cabbed tenders. The LNWR fabricated cabbed tenders for the G2s allocated to South Wales after WWI. 8899 for example had a cabbed tender throughout its time in Abergavenny/Tredegar. taking off the transfers will be needed for these.

I have a cabbed tender with a cycling lion, so that will do for 49064 in its final guise.

many thanks again.

Modelmaster tends to have quite a thick backing material for a waterslide transfer, I much prefer Fox. I've also has Modelmaster ones react to some varnish types and the clear areas silver.

I need to model one of the Barry Island trip engines sometime for which I have e/c tender cab. Need to design a new chassis first though!

What is isopropyl alcohol and where can it be bought? Is there a more common name for it?

Thanks,

Mike

Ipa can be had from some chemists I believe, its found in quite a few other things. You can sometimes use meths instead though to remove or indeed a fine abrasive.

As this is just a black surface that will be weathered afterwards its not so delicate as many transfer removals.

• RMweb Premium

What is isopropyl alcohol and where can it be bought? Is there a more common name for it?

Thanks,

Mike

As has been mentioned, in the UK it can be bought from chemists - probably to order - if you can convince them that you won't drink it !!

In the USA I believe that IPA is known as rubbing alcohol - quite appropriate, really! ;)

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I need to model one of the Barry Island trip engines sometime for which I have e/c tender cab. Need to design a new chassis first though!

Hello Craig,

Good to hear from you. Chassis. Are Brassmaster's still producing chassis for the G2? I know that Comet do a chassis, I have one for under an old Gem G2 kit.

regards

Hello Craig,

Good to hear from you. Chassis. Are Brassmaster's still producing chassis for the G2? I know that Comet do a chassis, I have one for under an old Gem G2 kit.

regards

Thanks, Im not sure if Brassmasters sell the chassis separately, I did recently miss a whole kit that went for only about ??60 on eBay! It would probably be the better option though than the Comet which I assume is not of the new design. The other alternative is for me to find some drawings and do one myself but that is waay in the future! So far in the future that Bill may actually get his to market by then ;).

Slightly hypocritical now considering how far behind i've got with my own etching but Bill has had some stuff listed as soon for quite a while.

Thanks, Im not sure if Brassmasters sell the chassis separately, I did recently miss a whole kit that went for only about ??60 on eBay! It would probably be the better option though than the Comet

I've got one which I'm prepared to let go as I can't see me putting it together for some time, such is the backlog of work. It includes a replacement boiler of rolled 15 thou nickel silver instead of that bloody awful copper tubeing.

Archived