Bromsgrove 1958-1965

Barry M

I went back to the drawing board.

I had to think of what everyone was suggesting and what was operable.

First of all, I needed to look for a real track plan and work from there. Bromsgrove was the obvious choice for me as it's in my 'neck of the woods'.

Having sold all my OO gauge locos etc. some years ago, a change of gauge wasn't going to be difficult.

The space I will have in the completed garage conversion would never take this in OO Gauge, so I have decided to move to N Gauge.

It is based on 11 feet long but I may have 12 feet available so it could lengthen a touch!

Completely controlled by DDC, I have the opportunity to have the Lickey Bankers waiting at Bromsgrove South, through expresses such as the Devonian Express as well as the local services and Goods.

I obtained the track plans from the National Railway Museum, but have adapted them to allow for the space, particularly around the Goods Yard and the distance between Bromsgrove South Junction and Bromsgrove Station.

The extensive Wagon works to the North East of the Station, I have had to ignore, again due to Space issues.

Please let me have your thoughts and comments.

Thank you.

Barry M.

post-19583-0-43222000-1377543407_thumb.jpg

I look forward to seeing this develop as I only live 2 miles from the station, but I'm far too young to remember steam banking (other than recent railtours) there.

One thing I would say is to extend the slow lines past the scenic break so all the slow trains don't have to immediately cross onto the fast, it'll also give you a bit more operational flexibility. Like say a slow frieght moving off on the down slow after just having had the brakes unpinned just as an express thunders past it on the fast.

Have you seen these plans from http://www.signalbox.org ?

http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams/bromsgrovestn1967.jpg

http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams/bromsgrovesouthjcn1934.jpg

Sam

Thanks for the comments Sam. I agree, I would like to extend the slow lines further so they are coming off the main lines in the hidden section. Space is at a premium and I'm worried about the radius being too much for the 'Down' slow line.

I'll have a look if I can do it on the planner.

Barry

Ok - Had ago at extending the 'Down Slow' and the 'Up Goods', through into the Fiddle Yard.

I'm hoping there will be at least six inches of space available to me lengthways on completion of the Garage conversion, which will help!

I'm worried about that 'Down Slow' inner radius....looks tight......

Any comments on the 3 way point from the Fiddle Yard?

As ever, your ideas, criticisms, comments are very welcome.

Barry

post-19583-0-73075400-1377797602_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Have always fancied this - excellent choice !

Operations could be spectacular - and agree with the amendments to the slow & goods lines.

Blackwell anyone?

Phil

The crossover that the 3 way point forms a part of looks surplus to me as there is another crossover immediately to the left of of that does the same thing. I don't know much about N gauge but Anyrail hasn't flagged it up for being too tight and so long as it's larger than the minimum set track curve radius it should be fine.

I think the fiddle yard entry on the right could be improved and I hope you don't mind but I had a tinker to show what I had in mind... first is the ultimate space saver with 3 double slips !

The red line may be showing on the curves but this is caused by my 00 gauge settings, this shows it's tighter than a Hornby R605 1st rad curve!

The set track curves (ST-18F) that aren't connected to anything are there for comparison to the flexitrack. All track is Peco code 55.

post-14823-0-92660900-1377813376_thumb.jpg

as well as being the shortest this version is also the most flexible operations wise.

post-14823-0-33063200-1377813763_thumb.jpg

This variation only has two double slips but is a little less flexible.

post-14823-0-82936700-1377814459_thumb.jpg

This is my version of the initial plan, as you can see by position of the set track it is quite a bit longer !

Hope this is clear enough, Sam

Sam, thanks for taking the time to post these ideas. I have taken your advice and chosen the three double slip method into the Fiddle Yard. It should work.

I have also increased the length in total by 2". (I think I will have more lengthways available anyway). This has allowed no radius less than 12" - running shouldn't present any problems now.

Barry

post-19583-0-43247800-1378038120_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You could pinch another inch with another double slip at the other end.

And also for consideration - a long loop at the back, access only to the up goods - would improve operational flexibility as would mean you could run a freight in to there and it wouldn't disrupt traffic in the down direction which all freights taking bankers will as you currently have the layout.. Can see an issue about returning the bankers out of there but if they dropped off before the facing crossover at the fiddle yard entrance they could then cross over using that to return right line as per prototype.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

A further thought - do you envisage banking coupled or just buffered up?

If the former then you have quite a reach to the back of the layout to uncouple them.

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes - as you have drawn that it gives you additional flexibility.

Is that your coaling stage at the bottom centre of the diagram? I only ask as the headshunt next to the up goods doesn't look long enough to hold much other than a single loco.

Cant wait to see this develop - spent many a happy hour at Vigo just up the bank

Phil

Phil, the coaling stage is the light blue square. Bottom right.

It's where the original one was sighted. Allegedly!

I hope I can get another 4" lengthways - this would allow me to put the turnout under the footbridge, more to the left under the road, where it should be.

Thanks for your observations. I'm going to cover the build right from the start!

Barry

• RMweb Gold

Great

Have you seen this site?

http://www.miac.org.uk/bromsgrove.htm

Have a trawl around it theres lots of interest

And this one

http://www.lickeyincline.co.uk/

The P J Shoesmith of 48249 on the bank is awesome! Managed to be at Vigo a few years ago when 5690 went up unassisted - the ground shook, awesome!

Now if you were doing late 60s/early 70s we could pass traffic from Abbotswood on to you....!

Phil

Archived