Springfield Junction - Present day 00

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Well get your finger out, I come over on Tuesday night, buy you a curry watch two DVD's with you and you tell me you have been busy !!! ( hope your feeling better mate ) :-)

I believe there was a tour of East Lancs Chinese takeaways and restaurants before deciding on a curry - reminds me of York Ex.......

Cheers,

Mick

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

SJ hasn't been forgotten - just "more of the same" with more wiring up of the pointwork and decoders earlier tonight.

There was a slight delay to tonight's work as Spike, whilst looking for some small woodscrews, discovered a wasp's nest in the smaller shed (that was the original location of the test track) and decided to investigate further, rather than getting down to the job in hand and fixing down the cable trunking.

(He's easily distracted - sometimes more than me!)

Cheers,

Mick

• 1 month later...

Wasp nest disposed off!!

We've been very quite on updates, but we've been making small progress in the back ground, still plodding along with wiring so not much to shout about.....

Been a little distracted by doing a small amount of work on the new bryford station Concourse, so if any one did bother to look through the station windows at DEMU, they might of seen the new elevators and destination boards and about 40 people!

Still lots more to do in there when time allows!

Hope to make a push on the Springfield wiring, over the next 10 days, then start with the support ribs for the upper/ scenic level!

I'm sure Picys will follow soon after!!

Cheers spike

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had a tidy up in the man shed!,,, still doing wires..... Losing the will to live....... Mick took some picks last night's wiring efforts, so I'm sure they will be on here soon !!

I must be doing some thing wrong ... Coz I'm always the one having to climb on my hands and knees under the layout to clip up the bus wires !!

I'm not sure how that's happened.... Maybe his Jedi powers are stronger than I thought!!

Our friendly joiner, "dan the joiner" has taken all the 18mm plywood to work and passed them through his rip saw......, so we now have rather a lot of 138mm ripping to be installed as the support rib's for the upper level, so when topped with 12mm sheet we have the next track base running at 150mm to match the up &down ramps!!

Spike :-)

• RMweb Premium

Had a tidy up in the man shed!,,, still doing wires..... Losing the will to live....... Mick took some picks last night's wiring efforts, so I'm sure they will be on here soon !!

I must be doing some thing wrong ... Coz I'm always the one having to climb on my hands and knees under the layout to clip up the bus wires !!

I'm not sure how that's happened.... Maybe his Jedi powers are stronger than I thought!!

"These are not the wires you're looking for...................."

It's about you were on your knees........ although admitting that to your missus is not a good idea.

Anyway, here's the pics so far.

The point motors have been wired back to the accessory decoders and the microswitches for frog polarityare all connected. This is the north-west corner.

post-408-0-94923700-1403651044_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-83405100-1403651049_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-69002700-1403651054_thumb.jpg

The temporary taped labels will be replaced with something a little tidier!

So far, we're about 2/3 through the point wiring. As mentioned earlier in the thread, these are the lower storage yards and as much of the wiring is being kept above board as possible.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been awhile since an update. We've both been busy with work/family/holidays/other layouts/etc. but there's been a bit of progress on the woodwork front. Some of the lower deck wiring needs to be completed.

The "bridges" for the upper deck are taking shape. These will support the top scenic section.

Dan the joiner at work installing the last couple above the north yard.

post-408-0-06788000-1408492994_thumb.jpg

Another view of the north yard - the top deck is just an offcut to see how it looks

post-408-0-66145800-1408492985_thumb.jpg

Under the south side - the top deck is also loosely in place

post-408-0-54995200-1408492989_thumb.jpg

And this is how much room we have. These are only stock storage, so no real need to get in for access unless we have any problems.

post-408-0-34026300-1408492999_thumb.jpg

The bridges have been carefully located, so that it's still easy to access the lower deck without them getting in the way. (Until the top deck goes on, of course!)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Great layout you have here....I am building a similar type fiddle yard myself, which will also be covered by an upper level, just wondering how you are planning to control the trains in and out of the yard, I was going to put dead sections behind each point which are only powered up by the point is set for that road.

Will follow this closely...

• RMweb Premium

Great layout you have here....I am building a similar type fiddle yard myself, which will also be covered by an upper level, just wondering how you are planning to control the trains in and out of the yard, I was going to put dead sections behind each point which are only powered up by the point is set for that road.

Will follow this closely...

We're looking at a Hornby Railmaster for point control. All the track is powered, all the time. Frogs are switched with the point motor.

One issue with dead sections before points is that they are fine for locos, but what if you have say a Voyager with the powered car being the 4th in line (the 221 is not a centrally located power car)?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

We're looking at a Hornby Railmaster for point control. All the track is powered, all the time. Frogs are switched with the point motor.

One issue with dead sections before points is that they are fine for locos, but what if you have say a Voyager with the powered car being the 4th in line (the 221 is not a centrally located power car)?

Cheers,

Mick

Yes I had thought about multi units, I was going to dedicate 3 sidings for them and have the whole siding dead when not set for that road.

• RMweb Premium

Latest update - last night, more wiring. We've now completed 3 of the 4 "corners" of the storage roads and there's only a 5 point sequence to do at the south-west corner. So if I get my finger out and providing that Spike isn't in the way, I can probably do it in one evening.

The main bus wires for the DCC and point control are going in. We're not too far from a full test of the storage yards, but next Monday night could be a no-go for SJ, if I manage to persuade the big lad to get off his backside and go mountain biking..........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any update mick?

Hi Rory, Sorry - Nothing to report yet. Hoping to get back onto it soon to finish off the lower deck/storage wiring

Happy New Year Mick & Spike.

Could either of you post a track plan?

Pete

Sorry Pete, we only have a few sketches of the proposed upper deck scenic area. When we get something solid, we'll post up.

Cheers,

Mick

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Minor update.

After many weeks of not being able to make time, we spent an evening in a fairly cold shed. The fan heater has gone AWOL. My toes are only just warming up an hour after getting home. I was using the soldering iron to keep my hands warm.

Progress was good - on my part [1] - I managed to finish off the south-east corner pointwork wiring. The next session should see the main bus wiring done [2] and then we can start testing the DCC point control as well as running a few trains round.

Cheers,

Mick

[1] Spike took about an hour to put three screws in a point motor base and "loosely" installed a couple of bus cables. I have no idea what he was actually doing apart from shuffling stuff around the shed.

[2] He's promising to get in there in a couple of days to loosely install the remaining bus wiring, so I can solder it up on Wednesday night. And pigs might fly.................. :O

• Like 2

Thank you nobby ..... I'm almost a regular colomist for the guardian now !! 2 written / 1 pod cast and now a film about our business .....

The only real plus to making the film is that people actually understand that there are company's outside the M25 !!!

And don't believe what the yellow train junky puts on here!! I've got all the bus wires installed !!!

And just to clarify ... Over the last few weeks we've been mountain biking round gisburn forest on a Monday night after work !

But what he failed to mention is that the so called " big lad" royal kick his ass on the up hill bits... And the down hill bits come to mention it!! Just needs to man up abit .....

;-)

That said, " the coke fuelled teenager " is defiantly a Jedi when up comes to designing wireing !!

Hopefully we can get some more Picys on here soon!

We have also done a small test on the dcc track power and apart from the track needing a good clean, it went well ! apart from the rouge tin of Dulux under coat across the tracks !!!!

Also got a load of buildings and "bits" sorted out for the upper layer.

Purchaced- Faller road system starter pack for the road system ( that will be two full runs each way round the out side of the building ( aprox 55 foot each way)

Ratio viaduct kit - this will be modified to represent a model of the prototype at ingelton in the Yorkshire dales

2 wills midland signal box kits that have already started to look like the prototype at peak forest (love abit of kit bashing)

Hornby skaledale " dent" station & waiting room - this has now been striped of the window frames and is being fully repaired from photos of the prototype, the out the box model is good but the stone work is way to bright.

Built a village pub and post office in low relief for the village, and a village primary school that's a old stone building with a modern extension .

Picked up a Bachmann relay box for the side of the track and loads of stuff like trees and detailing bits.

Sorry I've not put any pictures on but " computer says no !" , file size is to big !!

I'm sure the updates and progress will start coming more regular now we've got the wires in, just go two big trade shows to get over in the next few week than start making some big steps folward.

Cheers spike

• RMweb Premium

And don't believe what the yellow train junky puts on here!!

That said, " the coke fuelled teenager " is defiantly a Jedi when up comes to designing wireing !!

I think that both of those mean me.....

Cheers,

Mick

Just come across this thread...I'll certainly be following with interest - looks superb.

I've said this a couple of times but I can't get over how big some of these layouts look compared to my own, with the main loop of mine being approx 16ft x 9ft, this looks an awful lot longer than mine.

Keep up the great work!  :locomotive: