acg5324

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Looking good. Where's it going to run - on the next layout?

Hastings units were favourites on railtours as well, including the Cymru DEMU to the Welsh valleys and the Long Thin Drag over the S&C to Carlisle, annoyingly not quite to Scotland, and more mundanely, the Chatham Dockyard branch, all of which I've photographed (somewhere on this site if they survived the photopocalypse).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today I made a start on putting Olympia back together, just two boards so far so that I can do a repair on one of the baseboard joint rails. I am also going to reverse a set of captive nuts to make it easier to bolt together in its room.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve started a fresh thread for the Hastings DEMU…..I’ll post some Milestone photos in the Olympia thread but day to day progress will be on the new thread.

Today some things got glued on rather than chopped off. Battery boxes and air tanks.

IMG_3041.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Some running repairs were completed today. All the legs have now had their joints screwed together too……and I’ve made an extra bespoke leg that sits over the bookcase and makes getting the baseboards attached much easier. Previously I piled some books up to support the joint when attaching or dismantling.

IMG_3043.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

……and after a lovely week away in Northumberland we’re back. Just two hours drive from York but a different world. We were staying near Warkworth, only a few mins from the former station and adjacent level crossing…….so it was rude not too!

All taken in a 40 minute period on 7/6/23.

DSC06436.jpeg
220003 and 220025 on 1M00 the 1807 Edinburgh to New Street.

DSC06437.jpeg
800109 on 1W24 the 1600 King X to Aberdeen.

DSC06438.jpeg

66736 on 6E45 the 0807 Fort William Alcan to North Blyth Alcan.

DSC06439.jpeg

One of just two trains a day to and from Chathill

158851 on 2N35 the 1915 Chathill to Carlisle.

DSC06442.jpeg

and finally 66041 on 6E30 the 1332 Dalzell BSC to Tees NY.

also close by at RAF Boulmer was this stuffed and mounted Phantom.

20230607_145812.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The three ferry vans arrived at the weekend. Ferry nice models( see what I did there) they don’t seem to be very free rolling but with a nice flat layout this shouldn’t be an issue.

IMG_3286.jpeg

IMG_3285.jpeg

IMG_3284.jpeg

IMG_3287.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The two Hastings unit DMBS’s have had various holes drilled in them for handrails and roof conduit plus a quick squirt of Tamiya fine primer, those print lines show up now!……but at least it isn’t so ghost like. Brass buffers have been fitted after I accidentally snapped one off. I had some ready just in case.

IMG_3310.jpeg

IMG_3311.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Loved the Class 201/202/203.

Loved travelling on them and loved listening to them idling in Robertsbridge Station, before hearing the clatter of the starting signal and the thrash of the EEs. 

Along with Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, they formed the soundtrack of my childhood.

Looking forward to seeing these develop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, acg5324 said:

The three ferry vans arrived at the weekend. Ferry nice models( see what I did there) they don’t seem to be very free rolling but with a nice flat layout this shouldn’t be an issue.

IMG_3286.jpeg

IMG_3285.jpeg

IMG_3284.jpeg

IMG_3287.jpeg

Very nice, I didn't realise that they were being produced unpainted as well, this will suit me as I would like one in Dutch livery for a weedkilling train.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 03060 said:

Very nice, I didn't realise that they were being produced unpainted as well, this will suit me as I would like one in Dutch livery for a weedkilling train.

Also available as chassis only…and in Dutch livery

Edited by acg5324
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 03060 said:

It is available in Dutch livery

HTH

Scott

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Scott B said:

It is available in Dutch livery

HTH

Scott

Thanks for this, I can't have read my magazine very well as I thought that it was only being released in the two liveries seen above, which is why I didn't pre-order any.

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 03060 said:

Thanks for this, I can't have read my magazine very well as I thought that it was only being released in the two liveries seen above, which is why I didn't pre-order any.

Regards,

Ian.

And plain brown and Satlink liveries.

https://www.ngsjoin.com/br-ferryvan-vix-8882-p.asp

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A constructive day at the Yorkshire NGS meeting. With enough work done on the 6B to pose five cars together.  Buffet and TF had most of the work done on them. The unpainted one is a TS.

IMG_3321.jpeg

IMG_3320.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 12

On 19/06/2023 at 17:00, acg5324 said:

The two Hastings unit DMBS’s have had various holes drilled in them for handrails and roof conduit plus a quick squirt of Tamiya fine primer, those print lines show up now!……but at least it isn’t so ghost like. Brass buffers have been fitted after I accidentally snapped one off. I had some ready just in case.

IMG_3310.jpeg

IMG_3311.jpeg

The stratification ridges on the sides are a little disappointing. Are you going to file them smooth? 

Did you consider etched overlays? Worsley Works can probably be encouraged to produce them. They do the 6S in N gauge and planned to do all heritage DEMUs in 3mm and would probably shoot them down to N gauge.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, grahame said:

The stratification ridges on the sides are a little disappointing. Are you going to file them smooth? 

Did you consider etched overlays? Worsley Works can probably be encouraged to produce them. They do the 6S in N gauge and planned to do all heritage DEMUs in 3mm and would probably shoot them down to N gauge.

The coaches were bought in two batches the motor coaches and TFK then the other three. The first batch are a much better print than the second. Yes they will get some sanding down…and had when the photos were taken. They seem to sand OK as well. I was tempted to get a 6S but wanted a long frame version so the 3D print was the way forward.

• RMweb Premium

Lunchtime today I could hear the dulcet tones of a class 37 in the distance, it eventually trundled by light engine enroute from York to Scarborough and back. It was due back just after 1500…..so it was rude not to!…..only complaint is that it was coasting.

0Z37:1214 York Parcels sidings to York Parcels sidings via Scarborough, rather nice 37401 ‘Mary Queen of Scots’. Taken at Lady Kell Gardens foot crossing, Haxby. 27/6/23.

DSC06518.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The 6B DEMU now has its sixth car. The two TSO,s are mounted on Farish Mk1 Chassis rather than then 4CEP cars for the rest of the set. These have no weights, unlike the 4CEP, so are a bit thinner. I will need to make a false floor out of 20thou plasticard to raise the bodies as they foul the bogies rotation.

All six cars are nearly ready for masking and painting!

IMG_3336.jpeg

IMG_3337.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

IMG_3339.jpeg

IMG_3340.jpeg

IMG_3341.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

No progress with Olympia as we’ve had a cheeky weekend away in Manchester, Premier Inn Media City, Salford Quays…..other hotels are available. Trains both ways were on time, although the one home wasn’t the one we were originally going to catch…..which was delayed.

Mrs G was quite happy to knock off another tram line, so we’ve done Trafford Centre…..didn’t go anywhere near the shops, thankfully.

After the Egyptian exhibition on Friday we went to the Transport Museum of Manchester well worth a visit…..it is 99% buses so look away now if you only do trains 😂

https://motgm.uk/

I took quite a lot of photos there, these are just a few. It’s based in part of an old bus garage, the rest is still in use by Go Ahead. 

20230708_105740.jpeg

20230708_110600.jpeg

20230708_110815.jpeg

20230708_111302.jpeg

20230708_112016.jpeg

20230708_112309.jpeg

20230708_112444.jpeg

20230708_112752.jpeg

20230708_113339.jpeg

20230708_113352.jpeg

20230708_112004.jpeg

20230708_111953.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Before our weekend away I managed to get the first Hastings DMBS masked up for spraying its base colours, the bandages  masking tape was removed today to reveal this.

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3401.jpeg

The ends of the sides will get painted in rail blue by hand, as will the solebars / buffer beams, jumpers in black.  I’m pleased with progress so far. 

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 12