Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

A busy week this week with work then a trip south to Redhill for a Southern Control retirees reunion. Six of us, with about 220 years of Railway service between us……even so, a bit of progress with the 6B….although as it’s currently pouring down the next stage will have to wait!

On a side note, I left Redhill station at 1800 and arrived in York at 2053. not bad for Approx 200 miles.

IMG_3404.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I’ve managed to dodge a few showers this week, so during the dry spells some progress has been made in the paint shop. Just the TFK a and the powered DMBS to complete.

It’s an Yorkshire NGS meeting tomorrow, providing I get a coat of gloss varnish on overnight, I will make a start on adding the white lining decals, coach and set numbers.

IMG_3439.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, grahame said:

The thumper is coming along impressively. You've made quite an effort on it.

Did they actually run through Olympia?

I have a photo of a 6L on the West London line, probably on a railtour. They were used extensively by the SR on Merrymaker excursions at the weekends. I’ve been on the them to Leicester and Derby, admittedly these were routed via Kew and Brent. Back in the day we did a Merrymaker to Diss for Bressingham, I think this was also in a Hastings unit.

https://zenfolio.page.link/LFbxA

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I took three of the 6B into work on Saturday, a posed photo on the N gauge diorama. Plus one of the full set at home.

The powered DMBS needs lining and numbering, I can then make a start on fitting the bodyside handrails.

20230729_093639.jpeg

IMG_3448.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Andy.

I received the latest NGS Journal on Friday - good to see you getting the Best in Show at the NGS bash at the NRM but bit odd that you weren't actually being presented it in the photo.

Steven B.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steven B said:

Looking good Andy.

I received the latest NGS Journal on Friday - good to see you getting the Best in Show at the NGS bash at the NRM but bit odd that you weren't actually being presented it in the photo.

Steven B.

Thanks Steven……Yes it was sort of hurried, looks more like my Brother in law is getting it given to him.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Miserable day today….so I popped out to get some timber for the lighting and facia…..six battens of three different sizes, two small sheets of 5mm ply, one small sheet of white faced 3mm hardboard, two L brackets and a small box of screws. £70.  Ridiculous price for the timber……..but at least it’s currently straight and has no twists……I rejected several packs that I broke open until I found one that was amazingly almost knot free.

IMG_3450.jpeg

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3452.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Quick, cut it, glue it and screw it as you want it. This modern stuff they call timber has a mind of its own, and will bend and twist while you're not looking...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Well…some interesting announcements from Bachmann, nothing for me on the N gauge front this time round……but I’m hoping they announce some more class 47s with the Winter announcement.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, acg5324 said:

A bit more progress with the lighting facia………happy with the level.

IMG_3459.jpeg

IMG_3460.jpeg

IMG_3461.jpeg

IMG_3462.jpeg

You've shown us that the lighting frame is level but not that the layout is...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The lighting framework is now complete, bar the pelmit. It’s ended up heavier than I wanted so I’m going to have to strengthen the uprights and make them into a T girder…….it’s still level…..😃

IMG_3467.jpeg

IMG_3468.jpeg

IMG_3469.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The facia has now been added to lighting unit. I’m at work today so pictures later and I’ll make a start on fitting the LED lighting strips. These are from TLC Electrical and are self adhesive, can be cut and re-soldered.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It'll be interesting to see how well the self-adhesive glue lasts - I've seen some rather droopy LED strips where the glue softens with the heat from the LEDs. Might be worth packing some gaffer tape!

Steven B.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Facia done….the wider part will take the Olympia station sign….now what colour to paint it. Black, white, Elephant…….yes that’s the colour of the scenery facia! I’m thinking of putting a route map of the West London Line on the rest of it.

IMG_3471.jpeg

• Like 8

That's a very nice little layout and its coming along well. It shows what can be done in N gauge in a reasonable space. I look forward to seeing it at an exhibition one day..

I went extreme minimalist with the lighting on my last lighting rig. I used an LED light strip attached to a pine moulding and made the nameboard with a left over bit of Hobby craft foam board. It works well, is very light, doesn't take up much room and is easy to carry. The trick with LED light strip is to not buy cheap stuff without any proper ratings - in my experience you need at least 800 lumens per metre. I have found that warm white (3000K - 3500K) gives the effect of a nice sunny day.

totm.jpg.ea2b9802868271acef1d81016e061210.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Facia done….the wider part will take the Olympia station sign….now what colour to paint it. Black, white, Elephant…….yes that’s the colour of the scenery facia! I’m thinking of putting a route map of the West London Line on the rest of it.

IMG_3471.jpeg

I'd keep it simple, with just the sign and a plain colour for the rest. Otherwise I think it would be too busy and distracting.

Elephant seems to be a good colour - after all, you must have one in the room...

• Funny 1