acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Just after Lockdown I had my next book back for proof reading, this has been returned to the publisher after checking. They also sent me the suggested cover, which is good but doesn’t actually have any photos from Brighton or any of the three that I’d submitted for the cover. Publication date has been put back to November from July.

730FCA76-344B-4E73-A710-7C4FA495744C.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Just after Lockdown I had my next book back for proof reading, this has been returned to the publisher after checking. They also sent me the suggested cover, which is good but doesn’t actually have any photos from Brighton or any of the three that I’d submitted for the cover. Publication date has been put back to November from July.

730FCA76-344B-4E73-A710-7C4FA495744C.jpeg

Andy, the blurb on the back needs another proof-read: "...previously [unpublished?] photographs..."

Now, let me guess (and, probably, show how bad my memory is):

Front top - Beddingham Crossing?

Front bottom (ooer missus...) - somewhere between Gatport Airwick and Three Bridges, taken from Crawley New Yard?

Back - Copyhold Junction?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Andy, the blurb on the back needs another proof-read: "...previously [unpublished?] photographs..."

Now, let me guess (and, probably, show how bad my memory is):

Front top - Beddingham Crossing?

Front bottom (ooer missus...) - somewhere between Gatport Airwick and Three Bridges, taken from Crawley New Yard?

Back - Copyhold Junction?

Well spotted, I hadn’t picked that one up.

Close but no cigar.....Southease station.

Close but still no cigar.......you went the wrong side, just north of Gatwick station.

Spot on.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Got some time in on Charles House today. The building got another wash of colour and some basic toning done. This has enabled me to start fitting windows. 

F43D193B-5374-444B-8052-413DFCB491D3.jpeg

D044A338-F916-4640-A43F-7534EB470394.jpeg

The sharp eyed eyed amongst you will notice the LH end now has the three walls. This is because I’ve reduced the width of the RH end to fit the site better. One advantage of a card carcus.

Progress is likely to come to a halt soon as I’ve run out of Evergreen 110 strip for the lintels / window sills and running low on Mek Pak......... I’m getting an order in.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Well spotted, I hadn’t picked that one up.

Close but no cigar.....Southease station.

Close but still no cigar.......you went the wrong side, just north of Gatwick station.

Spot on.

Thanks Andy.

I wouldn't have guessed Southease. I've only gone through on the train, never stood on the platform. Now I look again the road's too narrow for Beddingham.

I wasn't really convinced about my guess for Gatwick. Is that the airport link road bridge? I was usually at CNY in the middle of the night with the vans or crane...

Ah well, as Meat Loaf nearly sang "One out of three ain't bad".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Duncan. said:

I take it you really enjoy fitting windows! 

Cheers

Duncan

There’s a lot of them! Does make the building come alive though.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Andy.

I wasn't really convinced about my guess for Gatwick. Is that the airport link road bridge? I was usually at CNY in the middle of the night with the vans or crane...

In the background yes. Photo taken from the footbridge.

One of the Brighton MRC treasure hunts we organised would have taken you through the signaller controlled but hand operated crossing, lifting booms. Then we realised the signalman wouldn’t have been overly happy about having to release the gates several times an hour so we changed the clue.

Edited by acg5324
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Railfreight1998 said:

Looks great - it does have quite a presence when you see the whole thing. 

How did you make the roof as the variety of colours is very realistic?

Cheers

It’s just mountboard. Big A1 sheet costs £3-5 and it comes in a variety of colours. This is a dark grey one. I also have a sheet of white. It will end up getting over painted.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Progress today with Charles House has been mainly adding windows.....yawn. 

I have continued with the upper floor as I’m out of Evergreen strip for the lower ones. Emergency supplies should arrive this week.....along with some more glue....and some jigsaws!

Any way.....today’s pictures.

952BC1B4-22B1-43C1-86A9-98EB4738AD63.jpeg

71317300-64E9-4B74-8421-922F9E8201B5.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

You may have noticed there are doors fitted too, which include BIG heavy outer doors and lightweight inner ones complete with a reception area attached to the back wall. The inner doors are drawn with a silver paint pen on to clear plasticard. This means I will be shortly able to glue the front part of the building to the carcass.

5619F455-E651-4070-B2F7-1B43736518CB.jpeg

EBCD1BAC-93B9-4714-9E25-F225E9FBBC4D.jpeg

2DE9E259-395B-423C-8081-6DF6068CD564.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Today the front walls of Charles House were permanently attached to the carcass. I’ve also carried on with the top floor. This will be mirrored at the other end before the middle is filled in.

5019CFB5-D2B4-4EE2-8BE8-E48677CEB2DF.jpeg

8B3EFF2D-0B91-487A-BCFF-7306B34BBA4B.jpeg

2D4D7F46-7CAE-4322-BDBF-8240ED1B7F7C.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A I’ve also run up some drawings for the Radnor Arms. The front and rear walls want making a little wider, otherwise I’m happy with them. 

26CF01EC-FC45-4B1D-88D6-F6E8800B0732.jpeg

The wall with the ? Is where the houses in Radnor Terrace abutted the pub and I’ve no pictures so it will be rendered with blockwork scored in it as is often the case. I’m assuming a flat roof...or maybe a gentle pitch.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Steven B said:

Hi Andy, have you tried the National Collection of Aerial Photography? They've got a good selection of photos around Kensington which might help with roof details on some of the pre-war buildings.

Steven B

Hi Steven, yes been on their website. Plenty around Olympia but they are oblique views and from too far a distance to make out enough detail. It’s a shame this pub was demolished around the same time Charles House was.

I had another browse of this site and found a photo I’d missed.

https://ncap.org.uk/frame/11-1-1-331-22

Despite opening an account I don’t seem to be able to zoom in on the iPad.....one for the PC tomorrow.

Edited by acg5324
Update.

• RMweb Premium

I started replacing the raised scenic areas today, these warped whilst the layout was stored in the MIL,s garage when we had the building work done.

I've laid out some of the retaining walls to see what they will look like when fitted....pretty good I think. The debris on the track is cork underlay stripped back.

50CDAAE6-62A2-4EE9-8E3C-A682BFF813A4.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

More progress with Charles House today. Top floor fitted, another wall window fitted and two more painted prior to weathering and windowing! This will complete one end of the building.

A3B55F64-66C3-473B-AA49-07CA8998FFED.jpeg

19085155-525B-4FFE-867B-55FD1E997053.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, acg5324 said:

I started replacing the raised scenic areas today, these warped whilst the layout was stored in the MIL,s garage when we had the building work done.

I've laid out some of the retaining walls to see what they will look like when fitted....pretty good I think. The debris on the track is cork underlay stripped back.

50CDAAE6-62A2-4EE9-8E3C-A682BFF813A4.jpeg

You'll need some limited clearance chequer boards!

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You'll need some limited clearance chequer boards!

Yes. The walls do need to move back a bit. First job for today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not much progress today, the raised area got trimmed again for the retaining walls to fit. I also made the missing bits of the Metcalfe retaining walls, the brick piers. These need the copping stone adding and of course some weathering.

0AB22B53-AE6E-4F5A-A267-8DFAA526F63E.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The carcass for The Radnor Arms was put together today. I will have to move it across the street as Charles House will take up to much room. The unseen end can either abut the next building or I can leave it as a stand alone building with an alley way behind it.

DC4F2BA8-3E48-4972-ACC6-95398BC58960.jpeg

I’ve finished the retaining walls but they are not attached to the layout yet.  So here is a picture taken through the open window of the layout. Rear of Charles House and the Radnor Arms to the right......plus bus on bridge pose.

F2A7B2FC-3EBF-413F-B45D-EA6730B615C2.jpeg

4BFDE380-A6A7-4AAC-A93F-C1EF8425C4D5.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

For a change I decided to progress the Radnor Arms a bit. Two walls have no windows as they would have originally been attached to terraces. So far I’ve only partially done the front wall.

127339D6-A892-4080-9BA8-7993CEF9000D.jpeg

14DEDDE0-C324-4611-BC56-3477F06B0CC5.jpeg

AAF5B6D0-28C1-43C4-8365-7C42B5EBEE00.jpeg

Rest of the day involved FaceTiming my sister and assisting Mrs G with a nice jigsaw of Robin Hoods Bay. 

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2