What kits are there for M&GNR locos in 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Shed82CB said:

David,
I'm curious, having seen a video running what motor you used? was it K's or something else?
Thanks, Rebecca

After so many years I'm not sure but probably a Mashima (or similar).   Certainly an open frame motor, with (I think) 40:1 gears with an etched fold up motor mount.

I probably brought a set of motor + gears + motor mount at the same time as the kit.

I never really liked K's motors and only used them in K's own kits, which came with their motor.

David

18 hours ago, Thane of Fife said:

Evenin' all 

I bought a job at auction a couple of years ago. It included a Midland 3F tender loco which I intend fitting with a home made extended smokebox to produce a J41.

I  think London Road models do a Midland 3F tender loco.

Malcolm

LRM does a MR 3F kit, but I think it may be for the MR "M Class" 0-6-0, built from 1903 onwards. This had (according to Wikipedia) a slightly different cab from the earlier designs which were apparently supplied to the MGNR. However my knowledge of MR locos isn't great, so I could be wrong.

The MR 1808 4-4-0 were also used by the MGNR, for which a kit is available from LRM.

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/locos-tenders-chassis/midland-railway/

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Not sure if this topic is still live, but I have a question on M&GN liveries. What is the best way of painting the loco yellow. From the pics it looks as if there are multiple shades.

(The reason I ask is I have dug out an unfinished DJH kit of a Netherlands Central Railway 4-4-0T not unlike the M&GNR ones and I would like to finish it in the NCS yellow livery)

Phoenix Precision do M&GNR Loco Gorse Yellow (and Loco Brown for the frames).

Colour photography didn't exist at the time of the M&GNR AFAIK, so any colour pictures  are likely to be paintings or "colourised" photos so rather open to interpretation. 

1 hour ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

J3's can make a good M&GN loco, the one below is a Dublo chassis with a scratch built body and tender, but fitted with a 'Jinty' smokebox and a stovepipe chimney.

manna

DSCF5462.JPG.e351e2767b64ca09a7484d7640c6e157.jpg

DSCF5466.JPG.1c5305e3727ffa3ae447eaefc4dddf5e.jpg

Only one issue with an otherwise very pleasing result - no forward cab windows?

3 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Only one issue with an otherwise very pleasing result - no forward cab windows?

G'Day Folks

Yep, no handrails either, or steps, she's not quite finished yet, one day I'll finish it.

manna

35 minutes ago, MarcD said:

We are producing a M&GN 3 plank drop side wagon in 4mm. At the moment it's just a wagon body at the moment but the em society under frame parts fit on it. 

Marc Dobson

Pre-Grouping Railways

Do your wagon instructions include information on which axle boxes, etc. are required and where they can be obtained?

9 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Do your wagon instructions include information on which axle boxes, etc. are required and where they can be obtained?

I can supply axle boxes and springs for these as well as buffer heads. 

I currently don't have the etched parts that I would normally supply with my 7mm kits.

Marc

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, crackedmember said:

IIRC  One of the Midland steam railmotors was used for a time by the M&GN.  D&S used to do a kit for this.

I also seem to recall that when the class A 4-4-0T's were borrowed by the MR  Johnson 0-4-4T's were supplied in their place.

Clive Burdikin

If you are right about the railmotor, then it is fortuitous that London Road Models have just produced an etched brass kit for it in 4mm.  The earlier kit was from  Jidenco/Falcon Brass, I don't think D&S ever did any railmotor, sadly, and their only loco kit was a W&U Tram loco.

• Like 1