Dapol announce 8 new 'O' gauge wagons at Guildex

Andy Y

Note that in the photos I put up a couple of posts back, the bar does have a definite downwards bend (probably not unrealistic!)- in the picture looking down onto the wagon this is the most obvious "horizontal" to compare the sides to, the major flaw being that it's not in fact horizontal. This makes the sides look much more bowed than they are- which is very slight on my example but it's a long way from being upsetting to me (and no worse than a couple of my kit built ones, which is of course a reflection on the quality of my building and not the kits themselves...).

Not sure that you can complain that the detail appears too fragile- it's there, if it wasn't people would complain it's missing, if it was overscale to reduce the fragility then obviously that would be a crime too... I'd rather have it, knock it off and have to get the superglue out or make a more durable/ scale compromise repair as appropriate than not have it in the first place.

Interesting observations. IMHHO, no need for details to be 'over-scale' just to make them stronger, I think it's about 'appropriateness' ie if the detail is there it's helpful if its made from robust materials as opposed to merely plastic (or at the very least ABS - which is flexible) for everything.....so perhaps Brass or NS or even in very vulnerable areas LWB can be used. Of course cost comes into the matter, yet a few pennies more each vehicle for the sake of longevity would be okay with most modellers I would have thought. As for replacing details that are broken? Some have stated that they cant put a kit together so replacing details - arguably the hardest/most awkward part of a kit build - wouldnt appeal to those folk me thinks...

Just a couple of pics of my Dapol vans after an initial whiff over of some dirt which has brought up the detail really well

need to get some pics to work from to finish these off and figure out how to turn up the resolution on the cameraattachicon.gifDapol Vans (4).jpgattachicon.gifDapol Vans (5).jpg

Very nice, they do come alive with a little weathering.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi. Well I wasn't but I have! 4 assorted wagons have just arrived from ehattons - good service.

Echo the comments above, nice, definitive Richard Webster influence can be seen.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but looking underneath I am intrigued by the 2 screw fit covers over the ends of the coupling hooks / springs. They have a vague Kadee look about them - are Dapol going to be offering auto-couplings? Thinking on it: as they attract more OO modellers to move up to O gauge, I would think fighting with 3 links would be an definite negative.to someone who is used to auto-couplings?

Rgds Andrew

I finally succumbed to temptation and ordered three vans from Hattons. Sigh. Now, what's this about Slaters offering lost wax Instanter links?

Also, can anyone comment on the appropriate years the bauxite XP vans would have been seen in service? An infant's question, I know.

Edited by HeavyDuty

Hi. Well I wasn't but I have! 4 assorted wagons have just arrived from ehattons - good service.

Echo the comments above, nice, definitive Richard Webster influence can be seen.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but looking underneath I am intrigued by the 2 screw fit covers over the ends of the coupling hooks / springs. They have a vague Kadee look about them - are Dapol going to be offering auto-couplings? Thinking on it: as they attract more OO modellers to move up to O gauge, I would think fighting with 3 links would be an definite negative.to someone who is used to auto-couplings?

Rgds Andrew

Nice to hear it.

Dont be put off by 3 links there are plenty of alternatives including modified Tension Lock couplings see;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50279-o-gauge-auto-couplings/page-1

I finally succumbed to temptation and ordered three vans from Hattons. Sigh. Now, what's this about Slaters offering lost wax Instanter links?

Also, can anyone comment on the appropriate years the bauxite XP vans would have been seen in service? An infant's question, I know.

Simples!..........contact Slaters or CPL et al.

Off of the top of my head bauxite (a mine-field of a livery if one looks closely) vans; from the start of BR into late 1970s/early 1980s. In terms of those modelled by Dapol, at this time, I would say certainly into the mid 1970s.

Circling back - but not wishing to focus on the negative - I was reminded the other day, that bowed IM plastic wagons sides can be due to not allowing the moulding (wagon-body) enough time to cool in the tooling/mould, ie its been removed too quickly.

ATVB

CME

Thanks for the link. I have gone the Dinghams route for my layout, as there is nothing worse than struggling with 3 links that won't play ball when you have the public looking on!

Rgds Andrew

You are welcome Andrew.

Yes, I agree, I once saw a finescale 4mm layout (EM/P4 I cant remember which), with overhead electrics and 'hand-of-god' uncoupling, suffice to say the overhead was taken out during a shunting/uncoupling move by a loose shirt-sleeve! That wasnt very FS! I felt for the guy, but in that situation and at exhibition there is a good argument for auto-couplings.

ATVB

CME

Nice to hear it.

Dont be put off by 3 links there are plenty of alternatives including modified Tension Lock couplings see;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50279-o-gauge-auto-couplings/page-1

Simples!..........contact Slaters or CPL et al.

Off of the top of my head bauxite (a mine-field of a livery if one looks closely) vans; from the start of BR into late 1970s/early 1980s. In terms of those modelled by Dapol, at this time, I would say certainly into the mid 1970s.

Circling back - but not wishing to focus on the negative - I was reminded the other day, that bowed IM plastic wagons sides can be due to not allowing the moulding (wagon-body) enough time to cool in the tooling/mould, ie its been removed too quickly.

ATVB

CME

Thank you! I usually research a bit before throwing down plastic, but I was enamored by the photos and jumped without first looking. I should be safe for both of my eras.

Into the 1980s with a TOPS code added, plenty of dated pictures here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvanplanked and here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brvanplywoodvvv  and later when in departmental use, frequently thier 1960s livery with a departmental prefix.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

My three vans arrived from Hattons last week (ordered Friday, received Monday - I have a hard time getting local things delivered this quickly, stunning service.) I'm very impressed, and have gone ahead with preordering the next four and the Vanwides, plus I am looking for the first run pre-TOPS planked that I missed.

I like the idea of vans for show layouts simply because they can be loaded or empty - the wags that ask about either 1) the hand of God reaching in to empty or load an open or 2) why you're shunting loads away from the same place you just spotted them gets a little old.

Does anyone have a part number and/or source for the lost wax Slaters Instanter links (only the Instanter portion, not the entire coupling?) Slaters haven't responded to my email question.

I like the idea of vans for show layouts simply because they can be loaded or empty - the wags that ask about either 1) the hand of God reaching in to empty or load an open or 2) why you're shunting loads away from the same place you just spotted them gets a little old.

Tanks are good for this too as well as Dapol's High Bar open with a suitable tarpaulin.

Paul

Tanks are good for this too as well as Dapol's High Bar open with a suitable tarpaulin.

Paul

Agreed - that's why I'm looking at using mostly cement in PCAs (OT for this thread, sorry) for my blue era plank.

Back on topic, wouldn't the highbar's sheet be folded and placed on the wagon floor when empty? Or were they like clayhoods where the sheet remained in place?

My three vans arrived from Hattons last week (ordered Friday, received Monday - I have a hard time getting local things delivered this quickly, stunning service.) I'm very impressed, and have gone ahead with preordering the next four and the Vanwides, plus I am looking for the first run pre-TOPS planked that I missed.

Does anyone have a part number and/or source for the lost wax Slaters Instanter links (only the Instanter portion, not the entire coupling?) Slaters haven't responded to my email question.

Yes vans are easier to run realistically, for the reasons that you mention.

Slaters' service is usually excellent, try telephoning them?

I have part number for instanters and links but they dont sell, iirc, the instanters seperately. Try CPL, Peco or Parkside Dundas, they may. CPL have just changed owners (so Im not sure what their range entails now but they used to do various couplings ie screwlinks), I had an idea that Peco might do instanters, but cant recall, PSD might be prepared to sell you some (Peco and PSD would be plastic though).

MMP also do instanter couplings yet the instanters are etched and have to be laminated.

Hope that helps.

ATVB

CME

Slater's sold me 3 pairs of instanter 'links only' for about 7.50 - probably over a year ago.  I e-mailed them, got a prompt reply with price and picked them up, with the rest of my order at an exhibition. Slater's links are the 'flat' type whereas the Peco ones are shaped wire IIRC.

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Parkside instanter middle link comes on the same sprue as the sheet rail gubbins for their GWR 5 plank and you actually get 4 links per kit in all the fitted van kits I have (two flatter, two chunkier) so there are potentially spares out there in RMWeb world!

• 3 weeks later...

These vans/wagons look bloody good to my eyes. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, and certainly can't vouch for the accuracy of the bolt heads, strapping, hinges etc, but for the money I don't think you can go wrong.

Birthday is in a week or so, might treat myself....

These vans/wagons look bloody good to my eyes. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, and certainly can't vouch for the accuracy of the bolt heads, strapping, hinges etc, but for the money I don't think you can go wrong.

Birthday is in a week or so, might treat myself....

I have several of the 12T vans, and I'm impressed!

A box opening......

attachicon.gifWEB Dapol BR 5 plank.jpg

Dapol 5 plank wagon open diagram 39 B494990 in BR Grey. Sprung axleboxes, buffers and couplings.

Looks very nice! Are the sides four square & true??

Re previous Poster and Instanters; IMHO the best out there are the CPL versions, they used to be - under new ownership but shudb a similar ethos - excellent value for money and the very best quality (ie LWB and wonderfully executed), thus not worth reinventing the wheel for, unless for the sake of ones own modelling pleasure-perhaps? I understand that CPL are constructing a new website and getting geared up.

Although these Dapol vehicles are excellent (especially when compared to the POW 'adventure')-when compared to Bachmann 12T vans, we have, as with most things 7mm, been short changed slightly.

So to Dapol its a B+ (for now) and perhaps the next batches will be A*?? I do hope so.

ATVB,

CME

Bachmann 12T vans CME?  Surely these are 4mm (unless I missed something) and I don't get how they could be better than these - wonder what you mean.  I have a Slaters planked standard van and the Dapol plywood van, not a lot in it that I can see, although I'm no expert on the minutiae.  You do need to add a lamp bracket and instanter link on the fitted models, but these are pretty minor.

John

Bachmann 12T vans CME? Surely these are 4mm (unless I missed something) and I don't get how they could be better than these - wonder what you mean. I have a Slaters planked standard van and the Dapol plywood van, not a lot in it that I can see, although I'm no expert on the minutiae. You do need to add a lamp bracket and instanter link on the fitted models, but these are pretty minor.

John

Hi John,

I do indeed mean the 4mm versions-I was making a comparison with products provided SFTB for our 4mm modelling brethren.

Without wishing to bore-but repeating myself to a certain extent;-

The current release of Dapol vans & wagons (of which I have a few-plus I have built approx 70 plus wagon kits over the years, from most of the kit manufacturers) have (when compared to eg. Bachmann RTR 12T vans) three link couplings as opposed to Instanters (does not apply for Bachmann versions), the lamp irons are missing, no written/printed details on the manufacturers' plates, where applicable the 'W' Iron tie-bars are too thin and if one wanted to be really picky the bauxite livery is questionable on certain vans (this aspect is a minefield however due to subjectivety, era issues and the fact that bauxite was a minefield on the prototype too), plus a fair few other issues etc etc. So in 7mm we have-yet again-been somewhat short changed when compared to our brethren who model 4mm RTR (ie Bachmann et al keep pushing the boundaries of realism and value?). If any wobbly sides were to be noted on a modern 4mm RTR release there would be a public enquery and comments such as 'school-boy errors' would be banded about, or worse.

From my POV Dapol have knocked out some nice RTR models, with some nice aspects and features, yet theyre still only B or B+ standard as opposed to A* standards.

Dont get me wrong, theyre fine for layout models, better than some kit builds Ive seen too, yet certain aspects of 4mm RTR, lead to way in terms of detail, accuracy, inovation, VFM etc etc.

Perhaps as RW becomes evermore involved we will see yet more linear continuos improvement-I do hope so.

ATVB

CME

I've found that the same solvent Kato USA recommends for removing lettering from their products works on my vans - it removes the white with minimal effect on the bauxite and requires no rubbing which can cause polishing of the wagon paint.

It's a Japanese product called "Mr. Color Thinner." It's no longer resold by Kato USA but is readily available on Amazon here, and also in the UK, too. There are several products with similar names, I'm told you *do not* want the leveling filler!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobby-250ml-Color-Thinner-103/dp/B000VYWPGM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487257896&sr=8-2&keywords=Mr+Color+Thinner

Thanks for the clarification, I pointed out the lamp bracket and instanter thing, so we agree there.  I was also thinking that the bauxite looks a tad light but as I intend to weather mine, it doesn't matter to me. So, yes, somewhat shortchanged but I'd be more inclined to give the wagons an A nevertheless.  Another point is that the wagons have a compensating beam on one side.

I've only been doing 7mm for a few months so I'm perhaps not as sensitive as you are.

As for the Bachmann models, as an LMS modeller in 4mm I felt VERY shortchanged that the vans released as LMS (and by Dapol as well - they've just released a whole raft of these) are in fact BR vans and impossible to correct.

Cheers

John

Edited by brossard