OO Gauge - London Transport L30/31

Having started work on a small London based layout for my slowly growing London Transport steam fleet, I have noticed a lack of models/kits for the former District Railway Pair of L.30 and L.31. After looking around for photographs/drawings for the pair and being relatively successful, I've decided to use it as a test bed for a 3D printout. Using a CAD software I'm used too over the last couple of days, I've produced this and successfully uploaded it to shapeways. Only problem that appeared was the fact I seemed to have designed it upside down by mistake......

674x501_1324394_1274773_1378382519.jpg

Overall not a bad model for a first attempt. Just need to check all the measurements before sending it off for a print.

Jon

That certainly looks like a good representation of the prototype and is a model which looks very interesting for me and many others who model LT.

What gauge is the loco in and have you a RTR chassis in mind to put it on which would need to be outside cylinder 0-6-0. Also how much is this looking like costing and what material(s) are you considering having it printed in as this will affect the price.

I will keep an eye on this topic with interest. Looking good so far.

OliverSR

Very nice.

What material?

If this is 4mm, you might consider having detail parts in FUD,

- viz, buffers, smoke box door, chimney, tank filler caps
- put your own brass hand rails on

And print the main body in WSF - heavy enough rivet detail

generally gets printed.

- consider adding NEM boxes.

Don't get too impetuous to print - in development it is a

cumulative expensive that can become embarrassing..

Hi,

OliverSR, it's a 00 scale design. It's designed around the chassis off the Bachmann Standard 2mt tender engine minus the leading wheels and the tender. It's been ordered in WSF as a test and cost wise is around £41 including postage.

Dazzler fan, thanks. I'll look into doing most of what's been suggested over the next few days.

Personally, I've ordered a copy of the one shown above because it has the right amount of detail for me and my 3D modelling/real world modelling ability. Plus it will prove to me that I can design something for my railway that doesn't look awful compared to commercial products from the likes of Hornby/Bachmann.

Jon

Hi,

It's including VAT and postage. I don't have a clue what the material is capilble of so it's more than likely I haven't thinned it out enough.

Hopefully lessons learnt making this one can be used on another project of mine. Producing a set of LU S Stock which I'm not sure if anyone's done yet.

First version's on shapeways but after thinking about it, I'm planning to work on version 2 this afternoon.

Jon

Shapeways have comprehensive data sheets with discussion

of specs' and advice for modellers, under "Materials"

www,shapeways.com

Ah! Thanks for that, I'll check that for future reference.

Well, tonight I managed to get all the main S stock V2 bodies done but the only problem I've found with them is that the total cost has shot up from 61 euros to 91 euros and that doesn't take into account the completed chassis O.o

That said, it does look a lot better than before :) See below for the before/after shot of the Non Driving Motor coach.

Before:- https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_1326616_1275851_1378409501.jpg

After:- https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_1326616_1280220_1378581139.jpg

Just need to sort out the chassis (started and awaiting detailing)/bogie designs (no idea where to start) before sending one of them for a test print. But that's a long way off at the moment fortunately.

Jon

Some promising stuff here, I look forward to seeing how it develops, been doing some 3D modelling myself on the LT theme with quite a bit of help from another member on here, whos doing various rolling stock in N. Look forward to seeing more developments when you have them.

Hi Matt,

Cheers, I am watching your Chesham coaches with interest with possible intension to buy one/two :) Best of luck to you on your projects.

News on L.30/L.31,

Today, the first print of the existing design for the Hunslet pair arrived. With the exception of the cab windows being too small, a minor thing to sort out, the model has turned out exactly as I hoped. As far as I can tell, there is one other modification that needs doing but other than that, it's nearly done.

1b1cd5ac1b1911e39a0922000a1f8c1a_7.jpg

Jon

Hi Jon
 Looks very nice very good for a first print!
Thanks for the encouragement on the coaches, first prints were positive, of course for complex design there were always going to be issues, but I'm confident they are now fixed, so this month I hope to print the final Brake 3rd, and end of September / early October print the all 3rd coach... so should have 2, by November, leaving the 2 composites to be completed. I hope for November due to them being at a club exhibition. But pleased that there is interest in them, listening to feedback and peoples wants or concerns.

Certainly like your little tank there, what material have you printed it in?

Hello Jon,

Good work with your first printing project, it does look very good. 

I have been thinking since you quoted the post, have you tried uploading your design to I.materialise to get a quote, they have a slightly larger wall thickness of 0.8mm but you may find that you get quoted a cheaper price and I prefer their quality of finish (for Polyamide) over WSF. Might be worth a look?

Keep up the good work,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Jon,

Good work with your first printing project, it does look very good. 

I have been thinking since you quoted the post, have you tried uploading your design to I.materialise to get a quote, they have a slightly larger wall thickness of 0.8mm but you may find that you get quoted a cheaper price and I prefer their quality of finish (for Polyamide) over WSF. Might be worth a look?

Keep up the good work,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Cheers, I have looked into I.materialise but it came out more expensive than using shapeways for the Hunslet project. Came out around the same for the S stock however so I may look into using the site for those at least.

Hi Jon

Looks very nice very good for a first print!

Thanks for the encouragement on the coaches, first prints were positive, of course for complex design there were always going to be issues, but I'm confident they are now fixed, so this month I hope to print the final Brake 3rd, and end of September / early October print the all 3rd coach... so should have 2, by November, leaving the 2 composites to be completed. I hope for November due to them being at a club exhibition. But pleased that there is interest in them, listening to feedback and peoples wants or concerns.

Certainly like your little tank there, what material have you printed it in?

Hi Matt,

Its printed in WSF. Good to hear the Cheshams are progressing :)

Well, after a tweak to the CAD file for the Hunslets, Its now available for anyone who wants one on shapeways (search for angr607 to find it). I might order one to replace my current example but the only thing that bugs me with mine is the small cab windows so it will most likely be cheaper to just take a file to them.

674x501_1324394_1292827_1379009837.jpg

Also the latest S stock designs (V3) with a revised roof have been done as well and I may start to look into getting the NDM printed come payday as its the one I'm most happy with. I have though ordered the chassis for this and another design so I can check out for myself the best way to attach the bogies to the chassis. I've also ordered two out of 3 designs for the S stock bogies to check I've got the basics right before continuing.

674x501_1326616_1293776_1379021042.jpg674x501_1332639_1287302_1378838057.jpg

Plus I started yet another project. As far as I know, there hasn't been a kit for the D78 stock trains used on the District line. So, today I've created designs for both the Trailer and Driving Motor varients. Being relatively simple to design, I may order one of the D stock coaches with the S stock NDM but I haven't decided. Again, body's done with just underframe details to work on.

674x501_1341141_1292478_1379002047.jpg674x501_1341157_1292496_1379002289.jpg

On checking the pictures again, it seems I've missed out the inter coach safety curtain fixings on both designs. Doh!

Jon

Archived