Low voltage transformer

tomparryharry

Yeah! We all LOVE those blanket judgements! "…the older part of the population that have nothing to do with computers."

I did my first programming exercises at an IBM 1401 using assembler in 1965. Now, guess how old I am and what I had to do with 'pooters in the meantime…

• 1 month later...

If just twisting two wires together was enough to make a satisfactory jount, why doesnt every electronic manufacturer in the world do it. it would save thousands. Whilst everyone is allowed an opinion, and everyone is allowed to believe that their opinion is correct, there must be a certian logic behind wht people today solder wires together, and not just twist them.

I have twisted wires together whilst testing a circuit, but would then solder and insulate the joint correctly. Some may use insulation tape others heat shrink, its down to personal preference as with most areas of this hobby. Do what you think is best.

Gentlemen,

Can I come in (say's he with his head down.!)?

I well remember coming across twisted wires in our family home in the fifties on mains wiring. Yes MAINS wiring! The lighting circuits in our post war prefab were connected in this way. No ceiling roses. A hook supported the light fitting and the 2 core brown twisted pair was fed through the brass chain and connected in the ceiling. Now these connections were made by twisting the 2 relative wires together

and then twisting on a small white porcelain cup(insulator) not unlike a thimble.

My first encounter with wire wrapping was whilst at HMS Collingwood, the RN electrical school. I seem to recall round posts whilst

prototyping circuits. No solder thou unless the circuit was of a permanent nature. Of course those skills were not needed on the computer I worked on in those far away days. Valve powered Analogue ones used in weapon guidance systems!Mended a few Marshall and the like guitar amps in my post Navy days!

Later on this older member of the population went on to teaching machine code programming using the ZX80 if I remember. Ah those good old

days before the 486 came along. I was in the big league then with 8meg of ram and young son was the first in his class with the

internet!

Nothing like a bit of BDR (Battle Damage Repair) is there? Shall we talk ADAWS?

Twisted wires are there for a layout that doesn't move and you just want it to work. 'Course you could then solder them as well. There are several under the loft layout, which after some serious heat cycling over 16 years continue to work just fine thanks. Actually they're pretty slow to make from a manufacturing point of view, but I really didn't need to unwrap the whole length of both ends and refit another cable in that snakes' nest.

My first encounter with wire wrapping was whilst at HMS Collingwood, the RN electrical school.

Ive recently discovered from some of his old papers that my grandad was stationed at HMS Collingwood from early 1940 (his previous posting was HMS Royal Oak …) I always assumed he just didn't like talking about his war, Ive now come to realise that he wasn't allowed to ;)

Archived