Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Farnley Burton - No Progress, but I am building a house

freebs

I am still in shock. I was looking for a button for "horror" in the ratings but there isn't one...

Jason's photographs are great and reminded me of when I used to live in Lancs...sandstone and millstone grit buildings, all uniformly black until the seventies. I had also forgotten the trick of raised pointing...glad that nobody has asked me to replicate that. Anyway, Lee, whatever you do I am sure it will be perfect when you have finished. Like the others wiser than me have said on this thread, keep looking at the real thing. 

Incidentally, the rust on those light green drainpipes on jason's council building photo is wonderful...quite an inspiration!

cheers,

Iain

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifstoned.jpg

The whole building has now been treated to a coat of Humbrol 84, which is a little greener than I'd hoped for, but it's going to get weathered anyway. 

I'll see what it looks like tonight when I get home from work, then possibly I'll give it a light wash with Humbrol Sand acrylic to lighten it off and put some mortar in the joints, before attacking it with some browns and black

I agree with Jason and Jeff, I don't think it needs a Matt Sand wash, it would make it too warm looking. I think it looks spot on as it is. As I said in PM and as Jason said above, a touch of olive green is exactly right for this stone.

Al.

Keep us posted on developments....so we can all get ready to scream......enough.....stop already!!! :jester:

Am positive you will make a good job of. Again.

Then you must really move on to something new. Love your work. So glad you didn't want to rethink the actual building as well :butcher:

:scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Once the recolour is done, shall look forward to more of your work :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Didn't get very far last night. Was convinced the Humbrol 84 was wrong - way too green, but I have since rethought, having looked at Jason's building thread and will persevere with weathering - see where it goes from there...

• Like 2

Didn't get very far last night. Was convinced the Humbrol 84 was wrong - way too green, but I have since rethought, having looked at Jason's building thread and will persevere with weathering - see where it goes from there...

Freebs

I don't think you can go far wrong with the Humbrol 84 and Jason seems to have it right.

Duncan

Freebs

I don't think you can go far wrong with the Humbrol 84 and Jason seems to have it right.

Duncan

Yeah, Jason's is just about perfect, but mine looks like it's been painted with camouflage paint! It just looks so olive - but I think I'm comparing it to photos of buildings that are cleaner and definitely more yellow.

Have you any of the same materials left to create some "swatches" Lee?

Rather than tinker with the actual model, a few bits of the same material to try different paints and washes might save you a world of heartache. With notes made a useful future reference also.

I work in print so am well aware of the intricacies of colour, including effects of substrate, pigment, reflective light et al. The Pantone swatch is God in my game! Then some wiseass wants blue ink on yellow paper...tsk.

C6T.

Incidentally, the rust on those light green drainpipes on jason's council building photo is wonderful...quite an inspiration!

cheers,

Iain

The paint looks like Humbrol Cockpit Green.  Could be worth a bash on one of my freelance projects!

Following the coat of Humbrol 84, I decided that I really, really didn't like it. I don;t know whether I'd not mixed it the first time I tested it or what, but the first test looked a great match for what I wanted, but the actual coat folowing a thorough mixing, looked a more (admittedly close match to the lid) olive colour..

so...

I covered the whole thing with a new colour I mixed from a base of Magnolia, adding in some Humrol dark earth, Artists' Yellow Ochre and a bit of Lemon Yellow, and used this as a base to work on.

I first, using the dab-on-with-a-bit-of-cloth method added on some Humbrol dark earth and then when dry, added over the top some weathered black. It's looking very filthy again, but nowhere near as grey as before. I'm going to need to touch up all the window frames (I've actually knoccked one window out) and all the downpipes, but I think it's getting there.

Apart from some fettling and scratching out of filled in mortar courses, that's the road side done - i've just got to add the black weathering to the track-side now!

post-15693-0-95896800-1392586583.jpg

post-15693-0-99841100-1392586585.jpg

• Like 6

I do plan on fine tuning it once most of the grime has been applied. There are small issues such as the roof slates lifting off and a couple of the downpipes having come loose that need to be addressed also...

• RMweb Premium

Lee - how many times have I told you to STOP repainting things?

So - listen to what the "critics" here have written. They like it. It's spot on for the area and period. Excellent stuff!

Now please don't even think of painting it again - you probably have something else to repaint!

Jeff

Guys, thanks, yes, I'm happy with it now. I've finished dirtying up the track side tonight, so all I have to do is go and tidy up all the window frames, clean the windows, then repaint all the down pipes. The cream bargeboards want touching up too.

Then I'll add some posters/signage to the exterior and consider a basic canopy. I'm thinking something more covered roof than ornate trusswork like Al's...

sssh   Lee , only you and I know it was a ruse ;)  it was the plan all along to get it this good and you just wanted to see the look on peoples faces ;)

Really nice job, but not sure i would hold my nuts so close to the fire...respect. :locomotive:

Edited by Kal

Stonework finished again now, but alas Ive not managed to photograph it in a decent light, so new pics will have to wait. 

In the meantime, I've drawn up a new plan to throw up in the air. It's a very basic plan, and shows me up for the apprentice to a Novice railway modeller that I am - it's only really a pair of running lines with the scope to add two smaller lines inside.

The size is approximately 10ft x 6ft. I say approximately, because I haven't measured it recently to check

I'm not happy about the way my current larger curves look, and I'm worried I've compressed them to allow for longer straights to the possible detriment of badly running locos, so I've devised this plan to make the largest curve a 30" radius

post-15693-0-27970500-1392990646_thumb.jpg

:)

The inside line is obviously slightly less than this and I'll space the curves at about 40mm centres to avoid carriage fouling, but this should provide me with a nice sweeping curve out of the station.

The red curve represents 4th Set track radius, Blue - 3rd and Green 2nd. I've left them on the plan to give me an idea of what curves I have to play with. 

The first few incarnations of the track layout have all been laid freehand, so this time I'm going to lay the template out.

At the moment there is not a lot of space for the Goods Shed I've built, and there's an awful lot of dead space at the top end of the layout, but there's not enough space to run storage lines.

If anyone has any thoughts on the plans, I'd be grateful.

Edited by freebs
  • Like 1

Lee

I know where you are coming from because I have been there, but if it were me I would try and reduce the number of loops, considering your scratch building quality, you want to set it off as well as you can , so maybe have just 2 loops, or if possible just the one.

I think your buildings will set off the atmosphere much more than 3 trains all running around at once. I have seen fantastic single line working layouts, just a thought.

I am speaking from a distant memory and  much less experience than many here, but I think 40mm is too tight for the spacing on curves, but of course it depends on how long your coaches are. A mark 3 would I believe struggle, but I do not suppose you will be running coaches that long?

What sort of train classes will run?

Another thought is , does the well have to be central to the layout? Could you have a scenic and none scenic side? That way you could have just one track on the none scenic side leaving more options on the scenic?

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1