Motor Books, Cecil Court, London

stewartingram

The Hamblings bloke was another Cheerful Charlie! I guess West End rents would break anyone's spirit.

You're right there. Can't remember the chap's name but I know he died some years ago (obit in Railway Modeller).  It's a long time now since I worked near there but one lunchtime I went in and when paying for whatever bits I'd bought, asked about whether nickel silver or brass or steel was best for track/wheels. Wow, he really showed great enthusiasm for once and told me all about the history of Hamblings, how they'd made parts in the basement workshop (esp the wheels) in the 1940s and on, and how demand had now slackened so they had to use brass rather than nickel silver for wheel rims to keep costs down, although NS conducted electricity better. So my last memories of Hamblings are a bit more positive (and I always use NS track and Romford type N/S wheels etc.)  They also did scenic backgrounds, I think.

On an earlier occasion, I asked in the shop whether they sold 4mm scale coupling rods. He was horrified. "What? You have to make them yourself!" 

So I went home and cut and filed up some rail....      Bless him.

Sorry Motor Books is going. Bought stuff on various railways (particularly Scandinavian that I couldn't get anywhere else) and Oz and NZ railway magazines - this was pre internet of course.  Curiously, I was just talking about St Martin's models today, I've got 3 cars I bought from them (could be 20 years ago)  sitting on the table in front of me right now. Coincidence of course.

The years go by.

Edited by railroadbill

• 2 weeks later...

Went in yesterday, the shop has 3 weeks to go at most. Made a modest purchase - which was half price, wished the chap behind the counter well and left. It's thought that the company will continue to trade over the net - but with a much reduced stock. Get there while you can, but the railway stock is diminishing daily. Some real bargains to be had if you're into American and German stuff though.

There seemed to be quite a complex history behind Motor Books and various other trading names.

The Headington shop was the home of OPC many years ago and they combined it with a model shop.

Haynes took over OPC, mid to late 1980s, but not sure to what extent the model shop was still under their wing. It was later sold and as others have said then went down hill.

I used to visit the shop and can remember talking to one of the original OPC staff about problems in selling books at Smiths in Kings Cross. Other London terminals sold a decent volume of their titles.

OPC was, by 2000, sold again this time to Ian Allan.

No knowledge of what the sale involved regarding the other trading companies and business names.

Never bought much in the London shop  but did buy the odd item over the years.

I took various visitors there, mainly from overseas, who did buy quite a lot.

Foyles seem to have a good stock but of a limited subject range.

A sign of the times I suppose but sorry to see it go.

Bernard

Haynes took over OPC, mid to late 1980s, but not sure to what extent the model shop was still under their wing. 

It never was, Haynes only bought the publishing side of the business, the shop ( plus the Bournemouth branch) was sold to Motor Books at the same time. Bournemouth had the NRM photo, and plans collection on loan until completion of the NRM library.

Paul Mays- former owner of Motorail Books, which was formerly Motor Books ( and OPC), Bournemouth. 

Edited by bike2steam

It never was, Haynes only bought the publishing side of the business, the shop ( plus the Bournemouth branch) was sold to Motor Books at the same time. Bournemouth had the NRM photo, and plans collection on loan until completion of the NRM library.

Paul Mays- former owner of Motorail Books, which was formerly Motor Books ( and OPC), Bournemouth. 

Paul.  What happened to the large collection of glass plate negatives and prints that had been gently deteriorating underneath Paddington Station that OPC took over from BR in the early1980s?

I know they were in the Bournemouth shop because soon after they arrived there I spent a day making a film about them for the local BBC South Today programme.

We focussed on the carriage print views which the GWR encouraged their official photographers to take with their spare plates after recording a new culvert, goods shed or whatever. The Swanage Railway supplied us with a train that ran up and down just north of Swanage so that my reporter could do the opening PTC in a compartment with carriage prints. I remember a mad dash back to Bournemouth from Swanage to get enough time to film the collection and an interview - with you?- which we did in a room in the shop. 

I'd had the impression that OPC had agreed a publishing deal with BR to make use of the collection and that involved conserving them. I don't remember anyone saying they were part of the NRM collection but may have missed that while we were filming. AFAIR the vast majority of what we saw was GWR. The film may still exist but I've no way of getting hold of it if it does.

I did go into Motorbooks last week between meetings in London and, partly for old times sake, bought one half price book by a French loco driver

Edited by Pacific231G

The original Bournemouth premises. Formally known as 'PRONTO (BOOKS ?)' IIRC . A favourite haunt of mine.

Ian Kennedy (Now of Oakwood Press), behind the counter and Jim Russell, pounding out the 'OPC / BR Joint Venture Scheme' Catalogues / Lists of drawings, acquired from BR's archives, on his typewriter.

post-7009-0-63570100-1380285583_thumb.jpg

Not quite sure of the time-line / history of the 'over the road' transfer, or whether OPC were still the proprietors, when it occurred, but this was Paul's emporium, 'MOTOR BOOKS',  thence, 'MOTORRAIL BOOKS' . 

post-7009-0-17684600-1380286618_thumb.jpg

Once the jewel of the Holdenhurst Road.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

Thanks Frank, the transfer across Holdenhurst Road was about 1990, a couple of years before I became involved with the business, in those days Holdenhurst Road wasn't quite as seedy as it is today.

David - the entire collection of prints, and glass plate negatives went to the NRM library on its completion. The guy you would have seen was indeed Ian (Kennedy) the then manager, son of Rex, and Jane Kennedy former owners of OPC, after the sale of which, Jane went on to take over Oakwood Press, now run by Ian, with his brother ( cant remember his name at the moment??) in charge of the video side of the business. If not now, that was the way it was when I finally closed the shop in 2005.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

Thanks Frank, the transfer across Holdenhurst Road was about 1990, a couple of years before I became involved with the business, in those days Holdenhurst Road wasn't quite as seedy as it is today.

David - the entire collection of prints, and glass plate negatives went to the NRM library on its completion. The guy you would have seen was indeed Ian (Kennedy) the then manager, son of Rex, and Jane Kennedy former owners of OPC, after the sale of which, Jane went on to take over Oakwood Press, now run by Ian, with his brother ( cant remember his name at the moment??) in charge of the video side of the business. If not now, that was the way it was when I finally closed the shop in 2005.

Hiya, Paul.

Getting even more Sou'westerly from Cecil Court, SW2.

I agree, the Holdenhurst Rd. isn't what it once was... Continuing seedy, but, It's appearing more,...as we say,.. these days,...multicultural / cosmopolitan. Even the 'Dolphin' pub, is now a 'Tesco Local' ! 

Derek, further up the road, at 'Bournemouth Model Railway Centre', is continuing to 'battle on'.

The parallel running,  even more multicultural, Charminster Rd. still contains one (multi-aspect) model shop.... (Dudley Dimmock, once, had a shop there)......'Grants' (long time, gone), at the bottom of the hill,  was my very first experience of a Model Shop...

Back to your post, Paul.... Ian's Brother is Andrew.... Along with Rex (Managing Editor), Ian (Design), and Co-Editor, Andrew Wilson, they started publishing 'Steam Days', (Redgauntlet Publications) in 1993. Now published by Ian Allan. It is, still, one of my favourites.

I must apologise to you, Stewart, for straying too far OT, but, No.10 Cecil Court was, once, home to 'Hamblings', was it not ?, another favourite haunt of mine, when I paid a visit to 'The Smoke'. ....

Pleading ignorance,...is / was 'MotorBooks' at the same address ?.

Cheers.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

Back to your post, Paul.... Ian's Brother is Andrew.... Along with Rex (Managing Editor), Ian (Design), and Co-Editor, Andrew Wilson, they started publishing 'Steam Days', (Redgauntlet Publications) in 1993. Now published by Ian Allan. It is, still, one of my favourites.

I can remember talking to Rex just before I closed the shop, and he was telling me he was looking forward to retiring from editing 'Steam Days', and passing it on to someone else, so he didn't then ?? He was looking forward to moving into his Welsh holiday home full-time.

I can remember talking to Rex just before I closed the shop, and he was telling me he was looking forward to retiring from editing 'Steam Days', and passing it on to someone else, so he didn't then ?? He was looking forward to moving into his Welsh holiday home full-time.

As far as I know, Rex Kennedy is still listed as Editor of Steam Days http://www.keypublishing.com/portfolio/overview.asp?PublicationID=58 .... Part of the Ian Allan group ?

The 'Pendragon Publishing' logo was last seen on the front cover back in April of this year.

• RMweb Premium

He is still editing as of the current issue!

I visited Motor Books a couple of weeks ago and found nothing I wanted/could justify buying; similarly in Foyles. However an antiquarian bookshop on Charing Cross Road yielded a fine crop of reasonably priced Bradford Barton volumes plus Great Western Pictorial 1 and 2, so my trip to Town wasn't wasted.

Pete

edited to add 2nd bit.

Edited by petethemole
  • Like 1

I remember the Holdenhurst road shop from when I was younger and use to go in with my Grandad in the early 90's during holidays. I remember the last time I went in not long before you closed and got a book on the EWS story as was down that way for a funeral. It was always worth visiting when I was down south. There was a big dog too if I remember rightly. I was sad to see the shop close.

Thanks

Mark

I believe Diecast /Grand Prix Legends own the model car shop now  .I dont buy from them as they are pricey .In fact I stopped buying diecast full stop  lately .

There was great story about the original shop being comprehensively looted in the great Poll Tax fiasco and the probability of kids playing with 500 quid hand builts

I remember the Holdenhurst road shop from when I was younger and use to go in with my Grandad in the early 90's during holidays. I remember the last time I went in not long before you closed and got a book on the EWS story as was down that way for a funeral. It was always worth visiting when I was down south. There was a big dog too if I remember rightly. I was sad to see the shop close.

Thanks

Mark

Many thanks, yes I did have my dog(s) in the shop, either Duke my gsd, or Blondie my Leonberger, or, on occasions - both :sungum:, it was good because sometimes regular customers would come in just to see, and fuss the 'pups' .

Edited by bike2steam

I am intrigued by the mention of some German stuff being left, so tried to go and have a look on Saturday. Despite arriving just before 5, when they advertise closing at 5.30 on Saturday, the shop was closed and dark. Still displaying "Last two weeks" signs, and visibly intact though, rather than looking like they've started to pack up. 

Does anyone know if they are still opening, and if so, what the hours are? They advertise being open until 6pm weekdays, but I don't want to waste my time after work if they will have closed already!

I was unusually in the area yesterday and thought I'd have a look.  Must have been about  4.30 to 5pm, still open and a few people coming and going.   Yes there are some German railway books left, and some UK  - unfortunately nothing I really wanted.  Some aviation, military and car books as well, plus dvds.  Then went and had a browse in Foyles, which is moving to larger premises just along Charing Cross Road from their existing shop. They seem to be doing very well.

Nostalgic experience from the years when I worked up near there.

Also, I think that Hamblings was definitely nearer the Charing Cross road end but didn't recognise which shop it was.

I ....Foyles, which is moving to larger premises just along Charing Cross Road from their existing shop. They seem to be doing very well.

Nostalgic experience from the years when I worked up near there......

Foyles used to have a notorious payment process, where you took your purchases to one desk where the attendant completed a chit. You then took this chit to another desk, somewhere else on that floor, and handed the chit to another attendant together with your payment. The receipted chit was then handed back to you, after which you then walked back to the first desk to collect your books.

I always wondered if this was the late Christina Foyle's attempt to impose the Soviet consumer system (see also the old GUM department store in Moscow) on Western book readers.

• Like 2

Foyles used to have a notorious payment process, where you took your purchases to one desk where the attendant completed a chit. You then took this chit to another desk, somewhere else on that floor, and handed the chit to another attendant together with your payment. The receipted chit was then handed back to you, after which you then walked back to the first desk to collect your books.

I always wondered if this was the late Christina Foyle's attempt to impose the Soviet consumer system (see also the old GUM department store in Moscow) on Western book readers.

That brings back memories.

Buying an LP was even harder. :banghead:

Bernard

Foyle's payment system used to take forever, seemed even worse when you were on your lunch break. It did call itself the biggest bookshop in the world (is it still or is Amazon etc. really a shop?) According to text on the hoardings outside where the new  premises will be, Christina Foyle was known as the Red Queen of Charing Cross road.  Easy to shop now, shop looks very bright inside as well.  Some years ago think there was a big bookshop on the other side of Charing Cross road, that's gone now.

Definitely a shame about Motorbooks, I picked up my first copies of Narrow Gauge and Industrial from them many years back. They were also a great source for historic motorsport videos. Seeing that someone has mentioned Foyles, they have been offering better pre-order discounts than Amazon on a number of new Ian Allan titles lately.

Linners

Edited by Linners

....Some years ago think there was a big bookshop on the other side of Charing Cross road, that's gone now.

I think that was Books etc., which was basically competed out of existence by the rise of Amazon. Also, the fact that they had coffee shop concessions within the premises meant that many people went in for the coffee, but didn't actually buy any books....

Edited by Horsetan

They used to have a similarly arcane system in the Mensa DLF (Dopolavoro Ferroviario) restaurant behind Stazione Termini in Rome. You had to look at the counters to see what you wanted then buy tickets for the various items from the stunningly attractive but extremely sour cashier. You then took these to the counter and got the dishes you wanted and if you decided you wanted something else you had to either forgo it or accept a cold meal (on top of the cold welcome)

The mensa DLFs were/are an odd institution as they were essentially canteens for railway workers run by their social and cultural organisation but seemed generally open to the public - well they never turned me away- and about half the price of any other restaurant but with really good food.  As a student travelling on a rail pass during the1970s when money was very short I ate at the one in Rome several times and later while touring Italy by train out of season used several of them along with the occasional University mensa. That included the one in Rome and sourpuss was just as beautiful and just as miserable five years later. Perhaps she was trying to get into CineCitta as a starlet and failing.

Edited by Pacific231G

They used to have a similarly arcane system in the Mensa DLF (Dopolavoro Ferroviario) restaurant behind Stazione Termini in Rome. You had to look at the counters to see what you wanted then buy tickets for the various items from the stunningly attractive but extremely sour cashier. You then took these to the counter and got the dishes you wanted and if you decided you wanted something else you had to either forgo it or accept a cold meal (on top of the cold welcome).....

I was in Rome recently and can confirm that a similar system is in use at many other cafés and ice-cream parlours. It does have the advantage of separating those who serve you the food from those who handle your cash (and the gazillion bacteria which impregnate it)...