Milky Woodland Scenics Realistic Water

Hi folks,

Last night, I applied some Woodland Scenics Realistic Water to my river bed and it turned milky or cloudy overnight, even though I only added a pretty thin layer as per the instructions. I have read in various places that this milky appearance will disappear with time, but I was wondering if any other RMWebbers had got the same milky appearance which then disappeared? And if so, how long did it take? Now that temperatures are falling again, I probably haven't chosen the best time to add the water, but I wanted to leave it to last in my scenic section so that it didn't get spoiled.

The bottle I used was probably around 10 years old and I have used it before without any problems (so it had been opened before). It seemed to still be runny so I thought I'd use it again, but I'm thinking now that maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

As the river is otherwise pretty much finished, I dread the thought of having to rip it up and start again.

This is the river as it stands after the 24 hours of curing as per the instructions...

post-7247-0-26526100-1378497895_thumb.jpg

Any help, experiences or (especially!) reassurance would be gratefully received. 

Yours

Worried of Waverley West

Dave

I have found that if you apply it over a river bed which has pva glue in its composition, this causes woodland scenics water to cloud up initially, though in my experience, this fades away after a day or two. I wouldn't worry, your river looks excellent, if any cloudy ness persists just blame pollution!

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

There's been no obvious change (3 days and counting). So fingers crossed that it clears up with time. I think I've just about got enough depth to cover the bed and redo if absolutely necessary.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Exactly the same thing happened for me..... but the cloudiness does go, it takes a good while but it does go so don't panic.

HTH

Cheers

Lee

Cheers Lee, that's what I was really hoping to hear!

Dave

• 2 months later...

How did it go?

I have just applied Realistic water for the first time, and dried (I thought at least) poodles of pva glue on the river floor (that I had used to secure talus) turned white!! I hope it disappears but I guess not.

• RMweb Premium

dried  poodles of pva glue

They can't have been easy to model convincingly!

I had the "milky water" problem, which largely sorted itself out over a few days after application - luckily, as I was modelling a fairly narrow stream, I was able to hide the area that stayed stubbornly milky (and remains so) under some overhanging foliage.

They can't have been easy to model convincingly!

I had the "milky water" problem, which largely sorted itself out over a few days after application - luckily, as I was modelling a fairly narrow stream, I was able to hide the area that stayed stubbornly milky (and remains so) under some overhanging foliage.

I guess I have to come up with a convincing backstory of a chemical plant upriver.

After all my certainty the the Realistic Water would all come good in the end, I have ended up with a mess beneath Victoria Bridge. The river was poured in four thin layers of the stuff, whereas the first three layers (with nothing in between them) went crystal clear in days, the top layer dried clear (ish), insofar as it looked much like Dave's river at the head of this thread. This was OK, but the top layer then clouded over. This has meant the whole river has had to be peeled off, leaving a nice murky river bed, and the canoeists carefully rescued with a scalpel!

Does anyone have a more reliable method to pour water in one go (presumably a two part resin) to about an inch thick? If there was a product on the shelves next week at Warley that people swear by for clarity, I'd be interested.

Cheers,

Will

• 2 months later...

I have found any of the 'glues' used to make water, either start out white or can have a tendency to have a milky appearance for a while. They eventually turn clear, I quite like the milky colouring in some instances, and have attempted to copy this especially in the waterfalls i do.

Just to clarify (pun intended), my stream has now cleared completely and I'm planning on adding a bit more water to it. I will attempt to add just a thin layer each time though. Maybe I added too much last time.

Will post a pic or two when I get chance.

Cheers

Dave

I built this diorama a few years back and used Noch's Realistic Water (the same product as Woodland Scenics I think) The river bottom was covered with track ballast and painted before adding the "water" The level, yet uneven, surface gives a nice shimmering effect. The smoke and the area under the bridge is Photoshopped. The rest is au natural in sunshine. 

post-12040-0-47004500-1391707591.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I built this diorama a few years back and used Noch's Realistic Water (the same product as Woodland Scenics I think) The river bottom was covered with track ballast and painted before adding the "water" The level, yet uneven, surface gives a nice shimmering effect. The smoke and the area under the bridge is Photoshopped. The rest is au natural in sunshine. 

A bit off topic I'm afraid. 

I like the steam launch. Is it a [big] Billings Boats hull with a scratchbuilt interior? I have one on the 'to do' list for my layout but haven't really thought about the interior yet. 

Archived