GWR 439 'Bicycle' Class

Does anyone know if there is any illustration of the '439' class in its original form, as built at Swindon in 1868?

I have read several comments referring to their unusual appearance, with the whole driving wheel exposed, hence the nickname, but the only illustrations I have seen are of the Wolverhampton 1885 re-build, with 'normal' splashers.

Am I right in assuming that their appearance might have been similar to the broad-gauge 2-4-0s of the Hawthorn class (1865)?, as shown in the c.1890 photograph below:

post-19820-0-82890800-1378648568.jpg

There is a photo of no 442 on page 543 of MacDermott vol 2 (1931). It is not very big but may be some help.

The same photo together with a basic description and major dimensions appears in the RCTS Locomotives of the Great Western Railway part 4, Six-Wheeled Tender Engines. The appearance is very similar to that of the Hawthorns. Indeed, from the side view you could be forgiven for thinking they were a broad gauge design. The wheels are of similar diameters. The wheelbase of the 439s is 7'3" + 8'0", giving extra space between the drivers compared with the 7'9" + 7'6" of the Hawthorns. The boiler is of similar size, but the top of the firebox on the 439s is flush with the boiler and there is a small dome on the centre ring. The cab was open with a low side sheet extending the length of the rear splasher and a little way above. The number was centred above the wheel on this sheet and a small side sheet projected back a short way from the spectacle plate above this. The front sandbox is in the same position as on the Hawthorns, but its front face curves down from the top, almost following the line of the rear face and splasher.

Nick

Thanks for the detailed reply, Buffalo.  Vol.4 is one of the RCTS volumes I haven't tracked down yet (at a reasonable price!).  I rather like the 'gawky' look of some of the BG engines and this could be a way of getting that look on standard gauge track.  Not sure that it could be done in 00 though,  because of the gauge compromise.

Mike

The NRM at York has most of the GW photo library. They were catalogued by the BR/OPC scheme, and the catalogues can be consulted there (they might be on the website). It's difficult to get prints, but they will produce the negatives and a light box and you can get reasonable reproduction using a digital camera and then reversing the image. I've done that for some photos and you get a reasonable "research quality" finish.

Archived