Essex Express

The 22.01 Felixstowe Ditton didn't run on Thursday due to problems at Stafford the night before causing some cancellations. And the driver for 4m42 went passenger to rugby on 4m59. This is only a rough guess but maybe 4m45 ran in its path early to Colchester recessed there till it's booked time then departed.

Thanks, but 466S )02:50 ex- Felixstowe North) was right time to Colchester and then showing as some 280 minutes late leaving Marks Tey.

This thread started in 2013 with a photo of Colchester depot, here is a view of mine from 1981

attachicon.gifscan0058.jpg

March allocated 37174 stands outside the depot at Colchester with two of the locally allocated shunting locos

08460 and 08256, 12/2/81.

attachicon.gifscan0035.jpg

47423 passes the depot with the 12.30 LIverpool St to Norwich service, 12/2/81

cheers

Nice pictures, I was based at Colchester for six years and saw out the last days when it was a mixed traction depot.
  • Like 1

Thanks all who keep this thread alive, (especially the shark at shenfield, maybe we should buy her and turn her into a club room) oh and the wagon at Romford, and any other homeless piece of rolling stock come to think of it, what say we start up a sanctury/rescue center for unwanted stock???? :locomotive:  :jester:

Edited by BigBountyHunter
  • Like 1

As I was heading to Norwich today to catch a ride on the short sets (top and tail 37/4 to Great Yarmouth and top and tail 68s to Lowestoft today for those who don't know) I tried to take a picture of said GUV to post up on here.

Unfortunately, some inconsiderate decided to park two rakes of intermodal freight directly in line of sight... Nice to see it still there though.

• Like 1

Thanks all who keep this thread alive, (especially the shark at shenfield, maybe we should buy her and turn her into a club room) oh and the wagon at Romford, and any other homeless piece of rolling stock come to think of it, what say we start up a sanctury/rescue center for unwanted stock???? :locomotive:  :jester:

The Shark isn’t drafty enough, yet....

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Without wanting to be too controversial, I've always felt that original EW&S livery sat very well on 37s, i find that picture more pleasing to the eye than the blue pair.

(Although i also prefer them in large logo than plain blue so it's nice to see that one did venture this far south)

Without wanting to be too controversial, I've always felt that original EW&S livery sat very well on 37s, i find that picture more pleasing to the eye than the blue pair.

(Although i also prefer them in large logo than plain blue so it's nice to see that one did venture this far south)

Agreed, I also preferred the 37s in large logo over plain blue.

We had a few large logo 37s down here- a quick look at my 1989 Platform 5 combined volume states that the following machines were SF based.

37004/012/057/116/128/209/216 as well as 358 without yellow cab sides.

• Like 1