Essex Express

I'd be surprised if any FL drivers sign Haughley to Norwich or Stratford to The Street (but imagine the AGA driver can conduct if necessary). Also the lack of ETS.

Unless that t'bird is purely for 'liners? Though I do recall the local cranks going loopy when high winds (St. Jude storm I think) brought about a mini FL festival on mainline pax services.

I'd've thought a DRS 68 would be ideal for the job. Cost pending natch.

C6T.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if any FL drivers sign Haughley to Norwich or Stratford to The Street (but imagine the AGA driver can conduct if necessary). Also the lack of ETS.

Unless that t'bird is purely for 'liners? Though I do recall the local cranks going loopy when high winds (St. Jude storm I think) brought about a mini FL festival on mainline pax services.

I'd've thought a DRS 68 would be ideal for the job. Cost pending natch.

C6T.

I have noticed more class 70's operating freight liners up the GE Mainline lately. Given their poor reliability, maybe the 66's are being left at strategic locations until the teething troubles are ironed out.

Oh my god I was genuinely peeved at the thought of the old familiar friend that is the shark not being there anymore!!! If the Thunderbird role has been taken over by freightliner 66 does anyone know why there is often a DRS 57 sitting outside Colchester shed? I assumed it was a Thunderbird too??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This thread is great, its called Essex Express, but we have discussed the only remaining landmark from the 1990s left between Chelmsford and London. If it is ever moved there will be thousands of commuters thinking they are on the wrong line or train if it is not in its right place. Long live the Shenfield Shark.

Oh my god I was genuinely peeved at the thought of the old familiar friend that is the shark not being there anymore!!! If the Thunderbird role has been taken over by freightliner 66 does anyone know why there is often a DRS 57 sitting outside Colchester shed? I assumed it was a Thunderbird too??

I thought Thunderbird Two was green...

• RMweb Premium

I saw the track layer just near Boreham on Saturday alongside the A12 as I was headed back from John Dutfields. It was in cutting so you couldn't see if any loco's were attached.

The track laying train returned to Hatfield Peverel yesterday evening (Saturday 5th Nov) with 66548 attending. I'm told, the train is self-propelled but it is not powerful enough to haul the loco as well.

The train is in platform 1 at the moment and the crew arrived around 9am to set it up. It will be working by 10am or so and it is quite a spectacle to see in operation.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

I passed it again yesterday on the A12. It was just east of Boreham in the cutting.

There is a major program of track and OHLE renewals on that section of line at the moment and I think that t is going to be in the area for something like 7 weeks. 

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Taking these photos this morning I remembered how awkward Hatfield Peverel is to get a decent picture - there are lamp posts, cameras, screens and clutter everywhere. Also, the sun was in exactly the wrong place.

post-14389-0-61117700-1478441240_thumb.jpg

The first shots were around 9am. The class 66 had idled all night to keep the life support things like heating running ... this was the coldest night of this Autumn.

post-14389-0-55805300-1478441264_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-84201500-1478441273_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-71348800-1478441282_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-90567100-1478441291_thumb.jpg

About an hour later, the train had divided into its two sections, with the power plant (called the 'D75') nearest the class 66:

post-14389-0-58052200-1478441302_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-04669100-1478441311_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-13687400-1478441320_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-16878400-1478441325_thumb.jpg

The train has renewed about 800 metres of the Down line, from near the Ter viaduct to the station, and today it is working on the Up line to the north of the station. The train is stabled at Parkinston, and although self-propelled, it weighs up to 3,000 tonnes when loaded up. The class 66 helps it up the gradient from Manningtree to Mistley.

I doubt I'll ever see it so close again so I hope these are of interest.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, the Shark is not the only abandoned wagon on the line.

The 'Romford MHA' has been abandoned on the headshunt outside what is now the Romford TOC for many years, full of spent ballast and becoming something of a rockery feature.

gallery_24698_3502_44032.jpg

In the last couple of weeks it has been moved into one of the sidings outside the yard/depot south of the station and TOC. First time it has moved in 5+ years I believe.

A couple of months back I noticed TMC had a heavily weathered Hornby MHA left, so I bought it. When I have a some time I will add some vegetation to make a nice little cameo based on reality. Also have a Hornby Shark to abuse at some point as well, although I suspect a Cambrian model kit might be easier.

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

66548 I'm pretty certain is the Shenfield Thunderbird, or has been for a couple of weeks now.

I have noticed more class 70's operating freight liners up the GE Mainline lately. Given their poor reliability, maybe the 66's are being left at strategic locations until the teething troubles are ironed out.

Presumably FL get fined [a lot] if one of their box liners breaks down on the GEML - quite a few run south during the evening peak, and one failing would cause chaos and incur significant Delay Repay costs.

There is a major program of track and OHLE renewals on that section of line at the moment and I think that t is going to be in the area for something like 7 weeks. 

Terry

Seems that things didn't go too well this weekend.  Loads of delays between Marks Tey and Shenfield yesterday morning being blamed on "poor track conditions".  Due to the track problems, both the Broxbourne and Stowmarket RHTT trains were at Shenfield station (opposite sides and ends) at the same time.

On a happier note, I can confirm that the Shark hasn't moved - yesterday it was in the company of 66514.  

• Like 1

Travelled on a refrub 321 in the peak on Tuesday.....more minuses than pluses.

Air con and low noise a plus...on the minus side doors rattle more than the originals, lighting is really too bright, the interior is as harsh and conveys the ambiance of a 1970's br loo,and then to top that I have sat on more comfortable church pews.

• RMweb Premium

Travelled on a refrub 321 in the peak on Tuesday.....more minuses than pluses.

Air con and low noise a plus...on the minus side doors rattle more than the originals, lighting is really too bright, the interior is as harsh and conveys the ambiance of a 1970's br loo,and then to top that I have sat on more comfortable church pews.

Sat, like on a seat, that type of sat.......lucky so and so........

• RMweb Gold

I'd just like to thank Freightliner for wrecking my day :nono:  Delays on London Overground due to broken down train and now nothing on the GEML due to another train fail - I hope it's not also Freightliner or there will a ritual sacrifice of my Bachmann FL 70 (if I ever get home!).

GA report "Due to a broken down train between Harold Wood and Brentwood some lines towards Shenfield, Southend Victoria and Chelmsford are blocked. Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 90 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 22:00 17/11. The 17:50 London Liverpool Street to Norwich has broken down near Brentwood on the line mainly used by Greater Anglia trains for Southend Victoria and the Colchester line. Another Locomotive will be coming from Shenfield to assist the faulty train towards Norwich. This operation is expected to be completed by about 19:45. Following trains commencing with the 17:52 Liverpool Street to Clacton are disrupted and cannot divert around the defective train due to the junction crossover at Shenfield being out of use. Customers at London Liverpool Street are asked to postpone journeys until 20:30."

So Thunderbird deployed but still a mess presumably due to Crossrail related track works. Marvellous.

Formatted after reaching home just after 2130, via TfL Rail and car. 2.25 hours late.  :nono: 

Lucky that this evening I wasn't going to be preparing for a job interview tomorrow or anything. :butcher: :ireful: Ho hum. 

Edited by ruggedpeak

The second train was a hauled set I passed it on 4m73 at about 23.45 at Shenfield dumped in the platform. Think the other train earlier was 4l97, the train loco of that 90047 was taken off and dumped outside the box at Colchester I think there were wheel set problems on the 90.

• RMweb Gold

Train service disruption Thursday 17 November - An Apology

We are very sorry for the severe disruption affecting all services on the Great Eastern Main Line last night. The problem was caused by a train fault on the 17:50 London to Norwich service. The nature and location of the incident meant the service recovery process was particularly long and complicated, despite the efforts of our team, in partnership with Network Rail, to minimise its impact. We will be holding a review into the incident with the aims of both preventing a repetition of the train fault which was the underlying cause of the disruption and improving contingency arrangements in the event of a similar incident occurring again.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/service-disruptions/train-service-disruption-thursday-17-november-apology

Trains breaking down happens, but it should not take out the entire mainline for hours. Ooops.

In happier news, on Friday the RHTT with DRS 57303 and 57007 ran on the Up Fast mid-morning with stops at Witham and Shenfield and probably elsewhere to allow trains to pass. A RHTT with topped and tailed by GBRF 66's was running on the Down Slow through Ilford.

NR seem to run one of their MPV's early evening between Clapham Junction Shepherds Bush or thereabouts as it passes northbound and returns shortly thereafter southbound washing the rails.

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have the day shift on the thunderbird on Wednesday i will be prepared!

Good luck :)

Most mornings the 66 is ticking over next to the Shenfield Shark. Is it fired up in the morning or is it the auto stop/start kicking in?

With regard to last Thursday (17th November), I'm wondering what happened to the 466S Felixstowe North - Ditton Freightliner.  It was running to time until Colchester/Marks Tey, whence it resumed its journey some 4 1/2 hours late.  It was eventually noted passing Stratford with 70008 - something of a surprise.  I'm guessing an engine failure with a replacement loco sent out from Colchester - possibly Ipswich - but can find no evidence of light engine movements.

The 22.01 Felixstowe Ditton didn't run on Thursday due to problems at Stafford the night before causing some cancellations. And the driver for 4m42 went passenger to rugby on 4m59. This is only a rough guess but maybe 4m45 ran in its path early to Colchester recessed there till it's booked time then departed.

This thread started in 2013 with a photo of Colchester depot, here is a view of mine from 1981

post-7081-0-72915700-1479645693_thumb.jpg

March allocated 37174 stands outside the depot at Colchester with two of the locally allocated shunting locos

08460 and 08256, 12/2/81.

post-7081-0-85929200-1479646023_thumb.jpg

47423 passes the depot with the 12.30 LIverpool St to Norwich service, 12/2/81

cheers

• Like 7