Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

Last Christmas I started putting a NuCast Hall together. I spend an hour or so every now and then. The chassis was running by the Summer and now I have started putting the body together. I wonder if mine will be finished before Hornby's appears and then i will have to decide if to cancel my Hornby order or not.

The Hilux list is similar to the one I have generated for the NuCast body, apart from the Potteresque additions.

Mike Wiltshire

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So here is the latest on the Hall delay in an email from Hornby, which was a reply to a query sent last Monday!

My Original Email:

I have just seen on the website that the gwr halls are now listed as due 1/2/15, except R3169 which does not have a date on it. What is the expected date of Olton Hall and why have these once again been delayed further? This will make it 27 months from announcement to release. Why is this happening? The samples were shown at model shows last year and now we are still waiting. This is getting beyond a joke and I am seriously losing faith in Hornby. R3169 was meant to be a Christmas present last year, and now again i will miss out this year. Seriously unimpressed with Hornby at the moment.

The Reply:

Thank you for your email, I have looked into this for you and it seems that R3169 will also be put back to early next year.

Since last year we have had to change Factories as the one we were using kept letting us down with our products getting to this country. We have now moved to another factory who have had to start from scratch on these loco's which is why they have now been delayed. Once the new factory is up and fully running our supply of goods new and current will be more reliable.

Yours Sincerely

• RMweb Gold

So here is the latest on the Hall delay in an email from Hornby, which was a reply to a query sent last Monday!

My Original Email:

I have just seen on the website that the gwr halls are now listed as due 1/2/15, except R3169 which does not have a date on it. What is the expected date of Olton Hall and why have these once again been delayed further? This will make it 27 months from announcement to release. Why is this happening? The samples were shown at model shows last year and now we are still waiting. This is getting beyond a joke and I am seriously losing faith in Hornby. R3169 was meant to be a Christmas present last year, and now again i will miss out this year. Seriously unimpressed with Hornby at the moment.

The Reply:

Thank you for your email, I have looked into this for you and it seems that R3169 will also be put back to early next year.

Since last year we have had to change Factories as the one we were using kept letting us down with our products getting to this country. We have now moved to another factory who have had to start from scratch on these loco's which is why they have now been delayed. Once the new factory is up and fully running our supply of goods new and current will be more reliable.

Yours Sincerely

Well,I don't know whether to laugh or cry at reading this..There is something almost childlike in this response and revealing of a lack of 'ownership' of delivery difficulties.The final sentence is breathtaking in its naiivety. A simplistic put off,if I ever saw and a shoddy PR job

I agree Ian this really seems to be a fob off. The explanation of having to change factory does not make sense as the Hall was being developed at the same time as the Star, Duke of Gloucester, P2 and 2Bil. All of those models were built by Refined Industries, not Sanda Kan, which was the factory that was causing delays to Hornby. Hornby had ceased to use Sanda Kan for new products some time before they extracted their other tooling for existing models. The explanation of having to retool does sound like another B17 issue, unless they have decided to improve the original specification

• RMweb Gold

I agree Ian this really seems to be a fob off. The explanation of having to change factory does not make sense as the Hall was being developed at the same time as the Star, Duke of Gloucester, P2 and 2Bil. All of those models were built by Refined Industries, not Sanda Kan, which was the factory that was causing delays to Hornby. Hornby had ceased to use Sanda Kan for new products some time before they extracted their other tooling for existing models. The explanation of having to retool does sound like another B17 issue, unless they have decided to improve the original specification

Or it's just a load of uninformed nonsense from a PR Dept who don't realise the level of knowledge of the past they are dealing with (or that it is seemingly greater than theirs :O ).  

• RMweb Premium

So I have had another email reply to my query re the Halls.

Thank you for your email, unfortunately this item has now been put back to next year. I am waiting on an answer of why this has occurred but have no news I can give you at this point.

This came from the same person that provides the last email with the pathetic excuse and now he is unable to give me a reason? Seems like the right hand has no clue what the left one is doing.

• RMweb Gold

So I have had another email reply to my query re the Halls.

Thank you for your email, unfortunately this item has now been put back to next year. I am waiting on an answer of why this has occurred but have no news I can give you at this point.

This came from the same person that provides the last email with the pathetic excuse and now he is unable to give me a reason? Seems like the right hand has no clue what the left one is doing.

Plus ca change......or,put another way,they're waiting for a container load of left hands from Refined Industries.Which finger (s) will be missing/bent/snapped in transit ? Joking apart,I think at this point you are 'on message' that you are wasting your time.The author of of your e mail simply doesn't know,poor man.

• RMweb Gold

Plus ca change......or,put another way,they're waiting for a container load of left hands from Refined Industries.Which finger (s) will be missing/bent/snapped in transit ? Joking apart,I think at this point you are 'on message' that you are wasting your time.The author of of your e mail simply doesn't know,poor man.

Or woman ;)

What I think we need to appreciate is that many of the folk at Hornby have little or no past experience in the model railway marketplace let alone in the hobby and quite possibly have only a 'party line' understanding of the manufacturing and shipping process.  Plus of course they are probably quite unused to dealing with the demanding nature of many railway modellers who, not unreasonably in my view, would like to know when particular products are likely to arrive.

In the current reality it would seem the supply situation might not be quite as rosy as the arrival of some P2s and DoGs may have suggested although speaking as I find I had no problem in getting hold of a couple of ex LNER CCTs; in fact all I'm waiting for is a 'Castle' (which has still not arrived in quantity although some have been seen & sold by the retail trade).

Waiting a totality of, say, 700s in a particular livery I can readily understand, I find it more difficult to understand why models which are exactly the same should turn up in limited (in quantity) batches when surely the cheapest and most efficient way of producing them is to do a complete run before re-tooling to do the next variant.  And let's face it where models are pre-ordered in numbers or, even better, 'sold out' to the trade, surely the logical thing to do is get them all in, and on their way, at the earliest opportunity?  But then as Hornby have only recently released a model with an SK code maybe ships from China are even slower than the old saying suggested, or there is some deeper reason for such delays?

• RMweb Premium

I agree Mike and no doubt it will be made worse on 25th Dec or 1st jan (or whatever variant is chosen this year), when Hornby announce next years(?) models..... Probably claiming at that stage that it's all ok and everything will be made in that year.....

The back-log will just get worse..... If only I was a better kit builder :-)

Hmmmm, a bit confused now. Just been back on the Hornby Site and it know say's all 3 versions are coming soon. Was there really any 'Olton Hall's' in stock yesterday at all? It did say there where 2 left yesterday. Or was it a site glitch? Very confusing indeed...  :scratchhead:

Hello, Hilux5972, everyone.

Curses - too late! You could have additionally asked them what the devil this means on their website:

"Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated".

Does one infer that if I were to order a red 'Hall' locomotive, as illustrated, they may choose, quite legitimately, to supply me with a yellow class 31 - or a purple Dodge Viper from their Scalextric range?

Granted, in order to make a point I'm being a little facetious here, but, really, just what purpose does that seemingly innocuous little sentence actually serve? Any thoughts, anyone?

Cheers,

BR(W).

Curses - too late! You could have additionally asked them what the devil this means on their website:

"Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated".

Does one infer that if I were to order a red 'Hall' locomotive, as illustrated, they may choose, quite legitimately, to supply me with a yellow class 31 - or a purple Dodge Viper from their Scalextric range?

See this 28xx thread for an excellent example of exactly what this disclaimer can mean.

Many of the catalogue illustrations (and those on-line) are not photographs of the actual models. They are often photo-shopped estimates of what they intend to produce. The actual product may not look identical to the illustration and in some cases liveries might be significantly different.

• RMweb Premium

And the reply has arrived

Dear Mr Scott,

Thank you for your email, there does seem to have a Glitch on the website with has now been addressed. R3169 is now due at the beginning of next year.

Yours Sincerely

Simon Watkins

Customer Care

• RMweb Gold

See this 28xx thread for an excellent example of exactly what this disclaimer can mean.

Many of the catalogue illustrations (and those on-line) are not photographs of the actual models. They are often photo-shopped estimates of what they intend to produce. The actual product may not look identical to the illustration and in some cases liveries might be significantly different.

Or wrong - as is the case with 2811 (which was in the right livery, just) in the catalogue. 

And the reply has arrived

Dear Mr Scott,

Thank you for your email, there does seem to have a Glitch on the website with has now been addressed. R3169 is now due at the beginning of next year.

Yours Sincerely

Simon Watkins

Customer Care

Thanks for the info Mr Scott. Can be safe in the knowledge that that I have time to get a few other items before hand  :jester:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived