Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

• RMweb Premium

I see the Railroad Halls are being released on 1st Jan at a price of £67 on the Hattons web site. i wonder a) will it arrive on time and more importantly what you get for the money!

The million dollar question...... Is it worth worrying about when I have a hangover on New Years Day?

• RMweb Premium

I see the Railroad Halls are being released on 1st Jan at a price of £67 on the Hattons web site. i wonder a) will it arrive on time and more importantly what you get for the money!

The million dollar question...... Is it worth worrying about when I have a hangover on New Years Day?

There are worse things to regret when you wake up with a hangover on New Years Day :P

4901 Adderley Hall is an unfortunate choice. It didn't have a lhs lubricator pipe feed, it had knuckle pins on the front coupling rod, and its 3500g tender as initially fitted had a different frame pattern.

What would be a better choice then?

What would be a better choice then?

Something like 4999? (Although that is probably not typical of its second batch, and seems to have borrowed a 3500g tender from somewhere.)

I don't think the body and tender feature set Hornby has chosen will give any GWR Hall without some degree of minor alteration.

As I do not model December 1928, I am not worried. 4901 will be fine for my 1930's period. I have images of 4901 with a later Collett 3,500 gallon type and the 3,500 as issued by Hornby, In addition, it will be renamed anyway. At that price I have ordered two, and it is still less than the cost of an unbuilt DJH (with a 4,000 gallon tender of no use for my period), plus wheels and motor,

Mike Wiltshire

I see the pictures of rood Ashton hall has separate handles on the rear of the tender but not so on the pre production model! So does this mean the hall in the main range has separate handrails an the railroad one has molded!?

Regards Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Amid all the fuss, Hornby have released illustrations for the two GWR Halls..................

R3170 - No. 4901 Adderly Hall is in a more customary green GREAT <arms> WESTERN livery.

So two mysteries less now.  Both are listed as "NEW" and both have 10-spoked bogie wheels, but I can't make out the cabside hand rails in these images.

The model illustrated has no vertical handrail on cab, moulded handrails on tender rear corners and moulded smokebox dart. The black lining is missing from between orange lining on the cabside and tender. How much of this will translate onto the sale item I don't know. So a little bit for modellers to do.

• RMweb Premium

Email from Hattons giving April 28th as a release date for R3169. Fingers crossed!

I also got the email, I guess supply supply chain issues continue into 2014 then... What else will be late this year?

I read this thead with interest as I have a Bachmann Rav Hall limited Edition which is a lovely loco but face having to hard wire it for DCC. I am dismaid that Hornby will be producing a new hall with moulded handrails, cutting corners, such a shame, remember the Hardwick Grange of 2005 such nice details on that and DCC ready shirt button. I get red for Potter but why issue a Olton Hall in GWR livery, (see Hornby new releases website for pic) who wants it? My Bachmann Tender is late G Crest W like the current resto paint job on Rav. I like it much better than Great Crest Western. Not too hard to change though, just don't rub too hard. Buffers still have their Bachmann Halls in stock DCC ready and cheaper than on e-bay too. Would I want wartime black, maybe but most likely a ROD that has come through war and still awaits painting green again.

I hope the new Hall does not come out with the plastic look of the LMS Compound. Such a shame.

Era modelled, GWR 1946-1948 early BR with the odd time travel back to 1930.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes Darren, it is Olton Hall in Hogwarts livery but GREAT ( CREST ) WESTERN on the tender. I don't get why they did this though. They hold the licence for the Hogwarts Express so its a bit of a mystery!

Yes Darren, it is Olton Hall in Hogwarts livery but GREAT ( CREST ) WESTERN on the tender. I don't get why they did this though. They hold the licence for the Hogwarts Express so its a bit of a mystery!

If they produced it with the Hogwarts branding, then license fees would be payable and would pump the price up.

Hi 

I can not find any info that this Hall ever carried this livery, seem to me that Hornby may have lost the licencing on the HP stuff, looks like Hornby just stuck the Great Western on it so they can sell them?.

Darren

Archived