Lines in the Landscape

Peter Kazmierczak

A shot taken 32 years ago that I recently rediscovered and scanned for the first time a few days ago.

Built by Nohab of Sweden to the Prussian G8/2 design, a Turkish Railway 2-80-0 ambles across the landscape with the morning Sivas to Samsun passenger in March 1984.

post-4406-0-61474300-1461562715_thumb.jpg.

(best to click on the image to get the full effect.)

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

That looks delightful. Can you tell us where it is?

Hi Andy,

Here you go: http://rvlr.co.uk

Latest news on Facebook: https://facebook.com/rhiwvalley.railway/

First open weekend this year is 7th/8th May.

post-1103-0-87021100-1461924151.jpg

Old video (has last year's dates):

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 3

Don't think I posted this yet - train slicing through the dense jungles of the South Yorkshire Joint line near Maltby in April 2014.

I hope the driver had a machete and was up to date with the malaria tablets.

post-6971-0-47766600-1462564049.jpg

• Like 9

This part of West Yorkshire has several similarly splendid structures, Mike.  I must get around to photographing a few more of them, especially before the wires go up along the Standedge route in the next few years - probably !

The rather annoying thing about that pic was that I was actually waiting for a returning engineers' train to cross - locomotives along the Huddersfield to Sheffield line being a rare occurrence - but as it hadn't turned up and 2B37 was sent down the single line, I figured that it had either been cancelled or sent via a different route.  It subsequently ran about an hour late, long after I'd gone in search of breakfast.

I reckon it's all the better for having a short train that fits the girder section - adds something to the composition

Not the sharpest of images, but one to show Summer may be coming

I'm trying to work out what's happening on the pitch.

Two batsmen at the strikers end, one of them walking towards the square-leg umpire?  Apparently no batsman at the bowlers end?

Edited by mike morley

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to work out what's happening on the pitch.

Two batsmen at the strikers end, one of them walking towards the square-leg umpire?  Apparently no batsman at the bowlers end?

The padded figure to the left of the stumps is, I think the wicket keeper. Looking at a slightly earlier frame there was a batsman heading to the pavilion. It looks as though the new batsman wasn't ready to come on and that the outgoing bat had been run out on the last ball of the over - hence the general disarray. The most puzzling figure is the crouching one near square leg. The ball appears to be coming towards him. It was all taken from a fair way off - from the seafront.

Anyway if one's five-year-old moves one's set of Langley cricketing figures around randomly, you have a perfect prototype scenario. The only thing you can't have is a train in modern Southern livery - unless it's 73 hauled!

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just come across these on Rob McRorie's Flikr site. They are the work of an unknown photographer. I think they are extraordinary.

Here are just a few of them

19701214804_3668b84875_z.jpgTylwch 1956 by robmcrorie, on Flickr

20367395506_6bfaf59a48_z.jpgPontrillas Sept 1959 by robmcrorie, on Flickr

22614482888_d60f75012f_z.jpgDeeside Loop 1961 by robmcrorie, on Flickr

Go to https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcrorie/sets/72157655884004185 for more

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 8