Lines in the Landscape

Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Gold

Nah, that's a model: landscape too clean, trees too small and a totally unprototypical gradient - in any case, a train going uphill would never manage it, even in N gauge.

Shurely…. ???

Oops, it's Switzerland.

Going uphill ;)  (you can't see the wagons on the rear of the train in this view of course)

post-6859-0-20408400-1484394459_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Here's a tiny bit of a line in a landscape, and a bit of a query.

post-6864-0-65305600-1484492210.jpg

It's near to the Avon Dam, south Dartmoor seen yesterday in brilliant but low sunlight

post-6864-0-00525200-1484492197.jpg

Near South Brent, approximately where the arrow is on this map. Probably around 2 feet in gauge. The nearest rail is bent up at the end which caused the shadow at the right side.

The thing is, I can't find any reference to there being a tramway on this side of the valley - just the South Zeal tramway to the west, as shown on the map. The dam was built in 1957 and I assume road / tracked vehicles were used by then instead of tramway/railway. So is this just a kind of 'folly' set up as a point of interest or was there something here which isn't apparent on t'internet?

• Like 2

wrt tracks on Dartmoor, no idea if in that area, or may be another 'layout', but there is a sort of military railway that automatically ran a miniature tank, for target practice. Being military, I doubt if it would be shown on any maps. .

• RMweb Gold

wrt tracks on Dartmoor, no idea if in that area, or may be another 'layout', but there is a sort of military railway that automatically ran a miniature tank, for target practice. Being military, I doubt if it would be shown on any maps. 

Sorry to contradict, but the military target line is on the 1:25000 map as shown here  It's much further north than Avon Dam; the firing ranges are more on the north side of Dartmoor around Okehampton Camp. There was a short feature on a BBC program on hidden areas of Britain where a former officer got the keys for the shed where the train was kept and it was wheeled out into the open for the first time in years; it was something like an armored narrow gauge Simplex which towed a wagon to carry the actual targets. There were / are return loops at either end of the track so, once set off, the train could be left to trundle up & down as long as needed - unmanned!

Looking at the history of the region, Avon Dam is a quite recent (opened 60 years ago) construction, and older maps show nothing there at all.

I wonder if it is left over from a constructors' narrow gauge line?

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the history of the region, Avon Dam is a quite recent (opened 60 years ago) construction, and older maps show nothing there at all.

I wonder if it is left over from a constructors' narrow gauge line?

I did wonder that as well, but I thought that road traffic might be more likely by then & I can't find any reference to there being a railway....

There was a short feature on a BBC program on hidden areas of Britain

I saw that, remembered 'twer Dartmoor., that's why I said 'may be' . Maybe some aerial shots (google earth) will give some indication of the track route, as it does for many other disused/ripped up track elsewhere

• RMweb Gold

Sorry we're a bit off topic here, but here's the google maps satellite view of the target railway near West Mill Tor and it's quite obvious at this scale. Might try & find this sometime we're up that way.

This is the location of the track fragment near Avon Dam - there's a hint of a terraced track heading southeast but it peters out pretty soon, so I don't think it was an actual track.  I'm none the wiser!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Steamranger Heritage Tourist Railway, Victor Harbour, South Australia, New Year's Day 2017.

Track is broad gauge 5'3". Locomotive is a 4-6-2 built in 1936 by the South Australian Railways workshops at Islington.

post-4406-0-43692700-1486086386_thumb.jpg

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...