Tunnock Yard - BR freight in the 1980's.

Wayne 37901

Good evening,

Just a quick update to keep this going.

I had a delivery of track during the week so should now be able to at least see how it will look compared to the plan above. Having seen a photo in a book showing part of a yard similar to mine, I was thinking of adding another road alongside the run round loop but looking back at the plan I think it will start to look too cramped. The aim for this one was less is more.

More to come

Edited by Wayne 37901

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words ess1uk.

The baseboard has been built and I've started fixing down cork undelay so the fun has started. I'll be working on this in between other jobs, but the main focus is to get the steelworks layout finished before the end of Decmber.... Wise or just nuts?!

More soon

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

I'm just starting my West Midlands plank, based on bloxwich metal traffic and CE traffics .

So this sort of thing is my bag !

Hi Rob,

Interesting you should mention Bloxwich as I had that in mind before the Scottish idea came about. I do hope you will chart the progress of your project on here as I'd be interested for sure.

Cheers 

• 5 months later...

Hi Andy,

Nothing new to report as of yet. As I said in my OP this is going to be a slow project which I'll work on in between other things. I have been tinkering with some stock though and I'll report on that soon.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

Thanks Wayne, I was thumbing through a mag the other day at work and remembered your thread and trackplan. Thought i'd drop you a line and see how your were progressing.

I'm still thinking about a similar idea...........

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Andy,

Nothing new to report as of yet. As I said in my OP this is going to be a slow project which I'll work on in between other things. I have been tinkering with some stock though and I'll report on that soon.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

Anything to report?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Crickey it was 2013 when I first started this one!!  :O

To redress the balance it's time for a long overdue update, I've lost the original photo's I first posted during the planning stage so I've had to go back and start again and today has been spent doing just that having came back from the Bristol show with a feeling of inspiration..

It's rare that I'll post photos during planning of a layout but I wanted an opinion on this one before I go further...

I think I've got something I'm happy with. It would have been nice to get the crossover in for running round but in EM that would be pushing things too much for a 4ft long board, therefore I've assumed it's off-scene!  :onthequiet:

Here's what I've come up with - ignore the hugely over-size excavator on the loading dock, it's an old toy I dug out of the loft from who knows when. The Bachmann box represents part of a rail served distribution centre.

I've never been a fan of fancy design software, mainly because it doesn't give you a 3D feel for how things will look so I always prefer to get out some bits of track and some stock and move things around a little to see what works and looks right.

So what do we think of this one? The aim here is less is more, didn't want to add anymore points.

post-6773-0-61143400-1493577706.jpg

More soon.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Wayne.

Read your post properly now.

I can't edit my above post for some reason. Deffo consider sticking with the loop for operational reasons. It will be cramped alright but that's half the fun......

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I was leaning toward keeping the run round on the scenic side but didn't want to cram too much pointwork onto the small board. If I include the crossover I'm thinking adding an extra 6 inches may 'stretch' things out a little.

I feel happy with the rest of it, it's just this one aspect that has me thinking.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901

Simple Wayne, the point on the left becomes a 3 way point and the point on the right becomes the other part of the crossover. Do away with the kickback road where the PCAs are (would there be a kickback road so close to the end on a spur like that-discuss?), so you basicall have 2 sidings and the run round spur. Stick a sector plate on the other end and voila! Jobs a good un!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Good to see you over here.

I had thought of using a three way but was concerned how much space it would take up as there's only going to be one scenic board.

You may be right about the kickback road where the tanks are, I added it in to make the shunting a bit more interesting but as it's close to the end of a spur it may look like I'm pushing things a bit. I'll have a play with a three way template and see how it looks.

Ta for the input it's appreciated.

Victoria looks a nice little project when I last checked in, and I'm having fun with Trevanna - I've done two shows with it now.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Seeing as I came from DEMU Showcase feeling inspired I think I know where I'm going with this now. I've had a re-think on the plan above and I've done away with the short kick-back at the end of the spur, to me it was niggling away as looking un-prototypical as mentioned earlier by Bungus the Fogeyman (Ta Dave!).

Provisional idea is to have the loop at the front of the layout so viewers get to see some detailed freight stock and have two sidings leading off this. Not sure what to do at the rear yet but one idea is to hint at an off scene coal depot, this would use a short rake of HEA hoppers as a static exhibit with some sort of fence or wall between the two. A similar thing was done on a layout called Shireback in Emdale which was also EM gauge.

More soon.

• Like 2

Hi Wayne,

Just found your thread, I have put some pics up on my Flickr site that you might find useful. 

Good luck with this one, Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-13449700-1496740044_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Peter,

That's very helpful thank you. I think I have a better idea where I'm heading now and will have another planning session on the weekend, two givens I have is that the scenic section must be no longer than 4' and only a maximum of three points.

I'm intending to get it drawn up full size and play with some stock first to see how it looks, but I have some plain line ready to be laid.

Cheers

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901