50007 Elgar No More ?

I remember well 49 of the class in large logo and 007 in green. Whatever peoples thoughts, it was blue from new till blue large loco until 1984 then green ever since - nearly 30 years.

I like locos to remain in as ran condition. I've never been keen on loadhaul, maroon with yellow stripes or two tone green. But then, I'm not in overralls each Saturday keeping them running or raising funds.  Just keep her running and maybe mainline certificate 007. Best of luck whatever the livery outcome.

I always remember it as one of the first 50's I ever saw........in a properly work stained, filthy blue, sounding like a bag of nails on full chat on 1M07 out of Coventry. It never seemed to be cleaned.

Rose tinted specs, granted, but it looked good. Strangely it was the last one I copped for haulage.......in green. I was never a fan of it in that colour, but it's certainly grown on me. As someone above pointed out, it's been that way for 30 years now, an there are plenty of other 50's out there wearing blue, LL or variety colours. 

Leave it as it is  :sungum:

According to the latest Rail Magazine, Neil Boden has bought it to go mainline to tow D306 and 61306 Mayflower around and that he has a "soft spot for 50's". He is also reported to be ditching the GWR Green livery as he has "too many green locos already".

According to the latest Rail Magazine, Neil Boden has bought it to go mainline to tow D306 and 61306 Mayflower around and that he has a "soft spot for 50's". He is also reported to be ditching the GWR Green livery as he has "too many green locos already".

How dare he. A loco owner spending his money, his time, on his loco and painting it the livery he wants, It will never catch on  :laugh:

Joking apart I wanted to paint a 25 I part owned into large logo blue only to gt a load of flack so that plan failed, but a other group on site painted there 40 into it without any fuss

Robin

The change of ownership can only be good for 50007, as the CFA were clearly lacking the funds to keep it in decent order...the release of funds will hopefully allow them to make progress with 40012's bogies and whatever else needs sorting out properly.

Personally I never saw 50007 in blue when in service, so if bodywork repairs dictate a repaint I'd quite like to see it as such, perhaps backdated to as built condition where cosmetically possible....like 50002 or 50044?

The green paint never bothered me either, along with the 4x GW150 47's it looked pretty smart to my eyes...the only thing I wasn't keen on was the rather excellent 50046 being used as a parts donor when 50007 was revived from the scrapline in 1992 for the final railtours after it had fried its main gen and a couple of motors the year before.

thanks Ian for the prompt, the CFA, have sold the loco for a few reasons. 

lack of funds, so why let it rot on the yard, when someone else was willing to take it on.

diminishing numbers of working members

working members not getting any younger !

rent for leaving the loco on the yard

the fear of getting 50007, usable, and something expensive going wrong that would be financially prohibitive for us to put right

the other two locos needed work and it was stretching our recourses

So the answer was there when Neil came along with an offer, and with the deal we have secured the following

More money will be spent on D212, (the money for the bogie work is already sorted) some bodywork needs attention and a repaint.

37190 is to have bodywork attention, repaint and mechanical work (by the CFA) to bring it up to tip top condition while it is at WWH.

So all in all, we are happy with a good outcome to a bad situation, the decision has been a difficult but necessary, and very hard for one shareholder. As for the colour, well thats up to the new owner, i do know his intension's, but i'm not letting on :)  even under torture, from the most probing of forum interrogations. Neil Boden is moving very fast, and we expect the loco to be started next week , and i will go further and say move under tis own power, so thing are looking up all round.

the only bad thing for the new owner is that he has to put up with the paint it brigade for as long as he owns it, we have had the burden for the last 19 years.

Gary Hinson

Hi Gary!

Thanks for your updates regerding the locos sale, always nice to hear first hand info, it must have been a tough decision for you guys after 19 years owning the loco and I hope you continue to have sucess with the 37 and 40.

As for the livery, well since its departure south last year, I spent 10 years as a working volunteer on 50027 Lion at the NYMR and we were constantly pestered to paint it blue but never did they offer to pay for it so I know exactly what you mean.

Hi Gary!

Thanks for your updates regerding the locos sale, always nice to hear first hand info, it must have been a tough decision for you guys after 19 years owning the loco and I hope you continue to have sucess with the 37 and 40.

As for the livery, well since its departure south last year, I spent 10 years as a working volunteer on 50027 Lion at the NYMR and we were constantly pestered to paint it blue but never did they offer to pay for it so I know exactly what you mean.

I would say stick with the NWSE livery, that’s how I remember 27. The new owner, is in touch with me, and is making great progress, so, its a relief that at last something is going in the right direction for 50007, just to put a price on things, Neil has already changed the oil and filters, I would put a price of around £1500, for these.

Now for the lumps of lead and acid!

The green paint never bothered me either, along with the 4x GW150 47's it looked pretty smart to my eyes...the only thing I wasn't keen on was the rather excellent 50046 being used as a parts donor when 50007 was revived from the scrapline in 1992 for the final railtours after it had fried its main gen and a couple of motors the year before.

I didn't know until last week why 50007 was chosen to be painted Green, but I'd be interested to see the list of the other proposed names that were rumoured at the time (and duly abandoned). And if it's just paint and cast metal, exactly how many times since have other preserved 50's been reumbered as "Hercules"...?

It's probably just my age, but I'll also remember it as Eddie, and the WR always seemed to keep it as a celebrity (I cabbed it on a tour around Laira in 1987).

• RMweb Premium

I've always wanted to see a power car in lined GWR green (with choc/cream coaches!).

OT, but when Great Western Trains first appeared on the scene, a number of livery mock ups (repainted 00 gauge HSTs) were published in RAIL. These included a version of GWR chocolate and cream, which looked really smart, and a variation of the theme which substituted the chocolate colour on the power cars for brunswick green.

Archived