Class 56 Mainline body on new Hornby Chassis

It nay not make much sense, but has anybody done this? How difficult was it?

I have a Mainline body that I'm tarting up and am looking at ways to improve the underframe detail and drive. So I wondered if it would just be easier to find a Hornby chassis. I said it didn't make sense :-)

Thanks,

John.

I'd detail the existing underframe (providing the model runs well). From my blog;

http://eastmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/grids.html

DSCF4703.jpg

A little bit of work around the underframe and it'll make a huge difference, even just removing the webbing between the suspension units will lift things to the next level;

m56031.jpg 

Have a look at Jim Smith-Wright's article (where I stole my method from) here too;

http://www.p4newstreet.com/articlePDFs/Update%2042%20class%2056.pdf

• RMweb Gold

Ah, that's better. I have a small desire for a banger blue 56 from the early batch like I got a cab ride in all those years ago at Toton, can't justify the Hornby one just to sit in a box but a bit of modelling with a Mainline one might find it's way onto the workbench just for nostalgia :)

There's a bit of work involved but it's quite doable - a few pounds in Mr Hanson's pocket and you'll have a few bits to enhance the body and correct the grilles for the earlier version.

The key thing is 'rounding off' the existing cab. The aluminium cabs are much 'softer' in appearance with gentler curves to its edges. This makes a huge difference to the finished model. The other bit is the valance - I just permanently fitted the bufferbeams to the body and built that up in 40 thou Plastikard. Very strong and cheap! :D

EDIT: Spelling...

I didn't do the drive conversion as the loco ran very well as it was! I do have a two Hornby bogie powered chassis for use one day which should be able to pull a house down!

Jim actually got me three of the PA-1s mentioned in the article for conversion but I've not got round to them yet!

Do you think? Maybe its where the top lip of the bufferbeam needs touching up with paint where it meets the yellow nose. I think the dark area makes it seems like there is a big protrusion. In reality I don't think there's much. Remember the front of the nose curves around to the sides too. At the middle of the nose there's no protrusion, perhaps there's just a touch above the buffer shanks where the curve meets the cabside panel.

post-7084-0-71289500-1380202533_thumb.jpgpost-7084-0-40986400-1380202557_thumb.jpgpost-7084-0-83378300-1380202588_thumb.jpg

Thanks for everyones input. After some thought, I've decided to go down the PA-1 route. The main reason for me to do this project is to improve my skills, so it's a good excuse for taking the more involved route!

If you are interested, I've started a forum thread here to document my efforts  :butcher:

Great stuff! :D

Archived