Dublo brake down crane

Londontram

I have in my collecttion an old Hornby dublo brake down crane I always thought it as a good looking well balanced model better than the later Hornby 75T one IMHO and I have a few questtions 1) is it a copy of a prototype if so which crane and how close is it scale wise 2) has any one done any thing with one, is it worh the  effort to detail it - if so when would that type have been in service and with which railway companys? Sorry to have so many questions. Steve

The HD model represents the six cranes built by Cowans Sheldon for the LNER in 1939. Two were sent to the Middle East during the war but the other four survived to be dieselised in the mid 1980s and were withdrawn in the late 1990s. One survives in preservation but it has a replacement welded jib which was fitted in 1968. The model seems to be a decent attempt although the jib is somewhat shorter than scale to allow it to go round train-set curves. Donkeys years ago I think there was an article in Railway Modeller by someone who had built a new jib of scale length.

A prototype it is based on is in preservation at the Llangollen railway. I suggest using the breakdown crane association website as a means of research and some good photos. I have a similar project in mind once I have finished rebuilding my 75 tonner. I plan on doing mine as a diesel converted model in yellow.

Thanks all as I said even though the jib might be to short I still think it has a nice balance and looks steam age, the idea is to do away with the cranking handles and other toy like fittings add ropes and pullies and add piston detail, get the match trucks right and paint as one of the LNER cranes as mentioned by "poor old Bruce" though right at the momment it will have to go onto the waiting list wih all the other future projects.

I want to keep mine operational but want to do away with the cranking handles so trying to work out how to do it.

You could cut the cranks off leaving a few mm still exposed, dress this up with a file untill its of a square section or press/glue or solder on a short section of square section brass tube and make up a key using the next size up of square section brass tube as the shaft of the key so that its like an old clockwork key that way you could still wind it up and down to pose it  but if painted the same colour as your cranes chosen body colour the ends of the shaft wouldtn't stand out to much as the shaft will only stick out about 2 or 3 mm, I might look at something like that when I do mine

• RMweb Premium

You could cut the cranks off leaving a few mm still exposed, dress this up with a file untill its of a square section or press/glue or solder on a short section of square section brass tube and make up a key using the next size up of square section brass tube as the shaft of the key so that its like an old clockwork key that way you could still wind it up and down to pose it  but if painted the same colour as your cranes chosen body colour the ends of the shaft wouldtn't stand out to much as the shaft will only stick out about 2 or 3 mm, I might look at something like that when I do mine

... or just cut a slot in the end of the handle stub, and use a screwdriver to turn the drum.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived