Greasy Dark Dirty Drips on Fuel Tank Wagons.......Incorrect?

M.I.B

Anymore photos of weatherd tankers??

Plenty in my recent new collections

Procor 50ton GLW Class A tank wagons Esso   http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/procor50tclassa

Procor 50t GLW Class B fuel oil tank wagons http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/procor50tclassb

BPO37xxx tank wagons Gas oil, petroleum, Acrylonitrile TTA TTB http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bpo37xxx

Paul Bartlett

Interesting thread - I think it does come back to 'work from a photo' - there's plenty of flows out there that show some marking on the side, but there are others that show very little. The weathering does seem to be much less overall than under BR days, maybe due to more environmental awareness, maybe due to changes in product composition (no lead in petrol etc?)?

TDA VTG86921 in aviation fuel service (2009), these tanks as the OP says don't seem to show spills much at all, in fact where there's been a spill you have a section of tank that's cleaner than the rest, not dirtier, like this!

TDA_86921_VTG_ActonML_260509a-M.jpg

TDA VTG78231 in general (Diesel/Gasoline) service (2013) - i've tried to pick an 'average' one of these, they certainly aren't all clean of spills, there are ones I have shots of that are much heavier weathered than this, but neither are they all filthy either - the weathering is maybe more complex than many folk assume, definately not a big splodge of black.

If you want my **guess** what happens with these tanks is that there are spills, and that gradually builds up to a dark colour, but if it then rains when that tank has spilled product on it then it has a cleaning effect. That results in the spills being worse on the bottom of the tank where the rain doesn't wash it clean.

TDA_78231_TIPH_Newport_25062013%20%2835%

From the same train as the above, TEA GERS89023 - this batch seem to stay cleaner (even of road dirt) - I suspect they get regularly cleaned as part of their maintainence contract? This one is fairly average in weathering, but seeing these GERS ones with no appreciable weathering (other than the paint's gradual fading) isn't rare.

TEA_89023_GERS_Newport_25062013%20%2825%

TEA VTG88111 (2011) - a Petroplus wagon on empties out of Cardiff, uncleaned spills, apart from an almost shiny band around the middle, presumably where the lineside vegetation on some routes polishes the body!

TEA_88111_VTG_Newport_02092011%20%28569%

<snip>

You can see these from 20 years ago at

http://youtu.be/M2OVimqa86Q

• RMweb Premium

....................- the weathering is maybe more complex than many folk assume, definately not a big splodge of black.    Agreed.

Still want to see some steam era fuel tanker photos is anyone has them - just to prove the existence of the greasy back stripe.

Even when you look at the real thing, sometimes it just makes no sense and ends up looking like a bad example from Ebay! - anyone want to take a punt at these two?

EWS870255 (2007)TTA_61219_ESSO_WashwoodHeath_061104a-M.j

That's not filled with a fuel product - the symbol and the HAZCHEM code give that away even weithout looing up whatever UN Number 3257  stands for.

Does look like an Ebay weathering job tho!

• RMweb Premium

That's not filled with a fuel product - the symbol and the HAZCHEM code give that away even weithout looing up whatever UN Number 3257  stands for.

3257 is bitumen.

Cheers,

Mick

Interesting thread - I think it does come back to 'work from a photo' - there's plenty of flows out there that show some marking on the side, but there are others that show very little. The weathering does seem to be much less overall than under BR days, maybe due to more environmental awareness, maybe due to changes in product composition (no lead in petrol etc?)?

.. or is it that the older photographs are of wagons which have had many years of use and the "weathering" has built up over a long time. Several of my photographs from the 1980s are of wagons still showing that they are in the finish they were delivered in sometimes 15 - 20 years before. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/smbpclassa/e3b467ef0

Paul

• RMweb Premium

That's a very odd/confusing bit of quoting MIB - the image of mine you have used in your quote I stated (correctly) as being a bitumen one, the text you have used with it was for a different tank (one of the EWS examples at the bottom of the post).

I have to email under quite difficult circumstances here, often the service drops while I am editting down quoted posts.  I appologise.

I can't abide the American style or replying to a post and replicating the whole post to comment on one part.  Hence why I started to crop the reply.  I obviously didn't come out as intended.

Not exactly what was asked for but interesting all the same.

Just checking my Tramway books and found a photo of a longer rake of identical tanks looking only  slightly better than those in he photo but dated 73.

Will look to see if I can find anything earlier as tanks ran down the quay pre 67.

Stu

Plenty in my recent new collections

Procor 50ton GLW Class A tank wagons Esso   http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/procor50tclassa

Procor 50t GLW Class B fuel oil tank wagons http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/procor50tclassb

BPO37xxx tank wagons Gas oil, petroleum, Acrylonitrile TTA TTB http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bpo37xxx

Paul Bartlett

Thanks Paul,wil take look now :no:

.. or is it that the older photographs are of wagons which have had many years of use and the "weathering" has built up over a long time. Several of my photographs from the 1980s are of wagons still showing that they are in the finish they were delivered in sometimes 15 - 20 years before.

Maybe in some cases, although the GERS Murco ones must be a decade or so old, and apart from the gradual fading towards a delightful pink are kept clean.

• 2 weeks later...

We appear to have gone off MIB's original point which was that in early steam days, it is unlikely that tanks would have dark streaks.

It is clearly not difficult to produce evidence of streaking in days of "modern image" railways (can we really refer to locomotives etc as "modern image" when we are referring to a situation of up to 50 odd years ago?) which really just emphases the original point.

Jim

Jim

It is difficult but I'm not sure why reach this conclusion. Unfortunately, so many photos were taken immediately after build or general repair. However, I've plenty of pictures taken earlier of Class B tank wagons and those in traffic tend to have a reasonable amount of thin dark staining on the middle third of the tanks - for example SHELL BP writing has one or both L's obscured. I deliberately write staining because it is quite thin -  unlike the tanks used for bitumen type products which can have quite heavy deposits - dribbles - down them. Class A's do seem to have been rarer and most of my photos are of them newly painted. A few certainly have some staining, but not so much - their lighter product would have been generally cleaner and I suspect that, even then, more care was taken with loading and discharging their more flammable product.

Paul

• RMweb Premium
A few certainly have some staining, but not so much - their lighter product would have been generally cleaner and I suspect that, even then, more care was taken with loading and discharging their more flammable product.

That's the general synopsis of my post.

No oily greasy stains on steam era fuel tankers, espeically the silver  or beige ones.

Archived