LNER J71 & J72

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

I am well advanced with an etched kit for the LNER Q7 (NER S3). The early test build is shown below. I have most of the details of these engines from the GA and from the Isinglass Drawing. However I am missing the details of a number of items which cannot be gleaned from these drawings. I know that the preserved loco is at Shildon but it is not easy for me to get there.

Does anyone have photos in close up of any of the details on this loco. I particular I would like photos of the crosshead, slide-bars,  cylinder rear and especially the footplate brackets incorporating the pivots for the brake hangers. I know the general shape of these bit close-ups would be a great help. This area is always in shadow on photographs and invariably full side view or three-quarter frontal.

If anyone can help with this one I would be very grateful.

post-6751-0-62210300-1380911477_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

Hi Arthur,

I have just uploaded (there are 78 so may take a short while to upload) a lot of photos of 901 to my flickr site at full resolution so hope fully you should get some of what you need from there. If you PM me your email address I will pass on some more info that I gathered when I built my DJH model

Hi Arthur,

Hopefully these may be of assistance

post-6837-0-00206800-1380962807_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-47104300-1380962813_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-26913200-1380962819_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-26647900-1380962825_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-89657100-1380962830_thumb.jpg

post-6837-0-39841200-1380963099_thumb.jpg

Edit: the last photo just about shows the brake hanger on the second axle and the sandbox bottom.

I have slightly higher resolution copies of these photos if they would be of use but the file sizes are just over the upload limit.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Mike & Rob

Many thanks to you both. These are exactly what I was looking for. I will take me a while to study all these in detail but They will tell me most if not all that I need to know. The cylinder casting should be fun to make!

Thanks again

Arthur

• RMweb Premium

Arthur,

while not including the areas you mentioned you might find something of interest here

Photographs of details on NER locos are always welcome. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to see these.

Arthur

• RMweb Premium

Can't wait to see the motion brackets with Q7 and RH/LH etched on them...

Now there's a thought!

Really though these would be better as a casting but it would be diificult with the compromises necessary to comply with P4, EM and OO. If it were cast with the inner flange (attaching it to the frame) then(except in P4) the latter would be 'floating' in the air which might look a bit odd, especially in OO. It might also get in the way of the tyres on the leading wheels.

I have aready convinced myself that the footplate brackets woul be better as castings but time will tell.

Arthur

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Following the success of my appeal for information on the Q7 I would like to make another request foe details of the J71/72 Classes. I am not expecting great things on the J71 but there is still one J72 around. In particular I am looking for photos of the cab interior: backhead, locker, handbrake etc. Any photos of the detail between frames would be of use. I have the J71 under development So hopefully some one out there can help. The J71 and J72 shared a common boiler so that the backhead details of both should be very similar. The J72 (Joem) has the later style of combination injectors rather than water delivery via the clack valves but we can make allowances for both styles.

Thanks in anticipation for any contributions that might help.

ArthurK

Archived