Hacienda Avenue - BNSF switching in So Cal

warbonnetuk

Interesting, I spend quite a bit of time round the corner from this yard area when I go to witness testing at NTS Fullerton which is on Valencia Drive, just north and west of this yard.  The main line runs in front of the NTS facility, am always hearing the trains go past there.  I went to lunch one time and saw this small yrd so drove around the area to see if there were any interesting buildings or industries, but didn't take any photos.  If I go back anytime soon and you are still working on this plan I can grab some shots for you, though I am not sure when the next time I will be there is right now.

Cheers

Nick

Nick

Any photos you can get would be really appreciated. I'm v interested in Plasticolor Moulded Products on the corner of Kimberly & Acacia Avenues, Kimberly Clark between Acacia & State College Rd and then Future Foam on the other side of the State College Rd / Kimberly intersection. Also Suburban Propane on S Melrose between Boysenby Lane & W Lowther Ave looks interesting to model.

Fully appreciate that this may be some time and dependent on work commitments

Cheers

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Made a breakthrough last night. After a week of evenings freezing in the cabin the first train ran under its own power as well as having operating points and the accessory decoders programmed. One short across one of the point and a pair of extra feeds to sort out and then it's on the fun stuff!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few evenings I'm made a bit more progress on the layout with an emphasis on the scenic headshunt. The main area of interest here is the storm drain (a typical urban So Cal feature) initially done in wood but will get a plasticard overlay and painted a light grey / beige mix. The overbridge will be a simple concrete slab affair based on the one one the Kimberley Spur just before it passed under Highway 57

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Kimberly+Avenue,+Fullerton,+CA,+United+States&hl=en&ll=33.864402,-117.878462&spn=0.000772,0.001291&sll=51.119747,-0.183037&sspn=0.105596,0.33062&oq=kimberly+a&t=h&hnear=1542+Kimberly+Ave,+Fullerton,+California+92831,+United+States&z=20

Hopefully more to show during the week!

Dan

post-9070-0-05999200-1391972275_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

While the storm drain has been put to one side for a bit I managed to identify and fix an electrical short on the main scenic board which in turn has allowed me to commence scenics. First up is weathering the track, initially with a light coat of light grey and light brown applied with a airbrush. The point blades were masked up and will be hand painted before an overall dark brown / grey is applied

The attached pic shows the light grey / brown effect.

More to follow.....

Dan

post-9070-0-82142200-1392994724_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well despite the rush and late nights to get the layout to a semi decent state for ROTArail to outcome was (IMHO) pretty reasonable. Obviously load more detail to add but here are a couple of pics from the show.

So post show there are couple of immediate jobs to work on:

• a couple of track height adjustments across the baseboards
  • adjust the throw on switch 2 to get the blades right over
  • lower the overpass to a more realistic height
  • Finish off the warehouse
  • Add some scrubby bushes

More to follow

Dan

post-9070-0-83586100-1398805984_thumb.jpg

post-9070-0-57257500-1398806042_thumb.jpg

post-9070-0-30161400-1398806063_thumb.jpg

post-9070-0-11805400-1398806123_thumb.jpg

post-9070-0-04203100-1398806148_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Jacques

A few more details are required - hoping to pick some Ratio chainlink fencing up from my local hobby store on Saturday to add protective fencing (as per the prototype on the Kimberly Spur) along each side of the channel and over the bridge. Also will be amemding the backscene to incorporate a mirror at the back of the channel to give an illusion of depth. Lastly I'm experimenting with an angled 3D view in Google Maps to provide a low level backscene to give the impression of distance buildings and the mountains to the north

Hopefully will make a bit of progress over the long weekend

Dan

Hi Dan,

A million thanks for your late night working to get Hacienda ready for Rotarail2014 last Saturday.

I'll be watching progress with a keen eye from now on!

Dave