Hacienda Avenue - BNSF switching in So Cal

warbonnetuk

After returning from this year's TVNAM I got thinking about a new layout project that I could use at home and also eventually replace my current show layout 'Galatia, KS'. The new layout had to fit onto the cabin we'd recently installed so the max length for home operation was 10ft.

From a bit of research on various forums I came up with either La Mirada industrial park or the Kimberly Spur, both in Fullerton, California as potential inspiration. Looking at both these areas the Kimberley Spur ran out as the most attractive with a number of small industries that still appeared to be rail served. The three chosen were:

Kimberly Clarke

Plasticolour Moulded Products

PepsiCo

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&q=Kimberly+Avenue,+Fullerton,+CA&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80dcd6769415f0f9:0x3e3477d8ea7397d9,Kimberly+Ave,+Fullerton,+CA+92831,+USA&gl=uk&ei=2R1TUvPlFa6W0QWw64GIDw&ved=0CC0Q8gEwAA

Using this research and a couple of the layouts I'd seen at TVNAM I came up with the attached track plan

More to follow.......

Dan

post-9070-0-71438400-1381178767_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

it looks very interesting .I switched to Google maps ground view and as I "drove" slowly down Kimberly Avenue  the silver  pickup truck coming towards me travelled back at the same rate I  went forward ,always in view in the same distance ...weird ,I assume marketing .Tell me I am not seeing things and dreaming it .Thinks the whole lot could be done in Z though not sure how good at switching in  Z scale is .Thanks for linking it .

I had a look too,it seem`s quite busy or a least the small yard does.But what really got my attention where these at one end of the yard.......

post-19751-0-86482000-1381182896_thumb.jpg

Some nice prototype power,in two versions/liveries.

Brian.

• Like 2

it looks very interesting .I switched to Google maps ground view and as I "drove" slowly down Kimberly Avenue  the silver  pickup truck coming towards me travelled back at the same rate I  went forward ,always in view in the same distance ...weird ,I assume marketing .

That just means the Streetview car was travelling in the same direction as the truck and you were looking at the images out of the rear camera.

Adrian

I had a look too,it seem`s quite busy or a least the small yard does.But what really got my attention where these at one end of the yard.......

attachicon.gifATSF GP60`S.jpg

Brian.

Another reason why the prototype location appealed! The initial roster for the layout will be a GP60 in patched Santa Fe, 2 x GP60M's one in BNSF H2 and the other patched Warbonnet and a Genset. Am doing further research for some more way out 4 axle power in use in the greater LA conurbation before Gensets became the norm - favorite at present is a ex-BN GP40 rebuild in patched BN 'Whiteface' paint.

Dan

Looks an excellent idea. You could alway wind back a few years closer to merger time and have the joy of running some of the ATSF Geeps that we're used about that time. I've just received a Genesis GP38-2 in BN Green which I have spent two days drooling over. The ATSF GP50 looks just as awesome and if they were to do a GP39-2 you would have two quality engines to stick lots bits too. Just a thought, looking forward to this whatever.

ChrisM

attachicon.gifATSF GP60`S.jpg

Brian.

Chris

That's an option. From digging around on the various on-line photo archives the Spur was switched by GP35u, GP30u and GP39-2. Before then it was chopnose GP7 & 9's

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/socalrailfan/LMLocal.html

These old Geeps would need 'Topeka' angled cab conversion as well as a nose job - there is a guy in the US trying to produce a cab / nose kit to fit a P2K unit but the length of time it has been running maybe a Genesis version will appear first :derisive:

Also looks like I'm going to have to find a Centralia ATSF caboose too!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=304693&nseq=5

Dan

I hope you are going to have a working speeder aswell!!

I have 2 Centralia cabooses but they are in UP colors.

ian

The amount of tagging on some of the shove platforms being used I doubt that would be an issue once it had been weathered etc!

Dan

Think that's just a "normal" International wide-vision Dan, Atlas has done this scheme on their wide-vision, it's not a perfect match, but the closest you'll get in plastic I think...

(Image from my site, but a photo credit to Mel Rogers - preserved one at Williams AZ, 2010)

ATSF999727_Caboose_Williams_MelRogers-XL

Hi Dan,

The Atlas GP40 is a lovely engine, it looks great and runs wonderfully. Enjoy. If you want to get an ex BN shoving platform I would go for an for the Atlas Cupola Caboose with the appropriate detaining bits from Moloco.

Have a few more days off before starting work again after a 6 month break so have been trying to progress the track laying on the layout. The traverer tracks are down along with the scenic tracks on Board 1 and the copper clad sleepers across the board joint onto Board 2. A child free day tomorrow so the plan of action is to sort out the backscenes and cut the timber for 2ft scenic headshunt.

I've also found some more prototype info on the industries on the Kimberly Spur that could mean a re-jig on the which ones will be modelled plus I've a solution to my caboose problem. More to follow........

Dan

post-9070-0-45260400-1382535454.jpg

• Like 3

Ah how time flies.  I remember when the GP50's were new, Op-Con called our yard and threatened us if we even thought about using a GP50 as a switcher, they were ONLY to be used on intermodal trains.  And lo' the mighty have fallen.

• Like 2

Dan

Are you going to fit Frog Juicers as per Galatia?

Ian

Mmmm.....not sure at the moment. Layout will be using Cobolt motors instead of the usual SEEP solenoids. Also, after a lot on consideration, I'm not using a DS64 for the points as there are only (currently) 3 switches / points and they will all be in easy reach

Dan

• 2 months later...

Well its been a while since my last update - the main reason being a lack of progress on the layout to report on. However with the deadline of having the initial 10ft set up ready and operational for Rotarail 2014 at the end of April I ventured down the man cabin yesterday and pressed on.

So since the last update:

• All track has been laid, glued down and track joiners soldered up
  • Track feed droppers and frog droppers are in place
  • Cobolt motors have been installed with the throw tested via a 9v battery
  • 2ft scenic headshunt board has been constructed. This will represent the small storm drain and overbridge that is situated half way down the prototype Kimberly Spur.
  • Overland brass ATSF caboose purchased off E-bay for a v reasonable price and Microscale decals delivered to renumber it to the prototype used on the Spur

Next steps:

• Wire up track feeds and board to board jumpers
  • Commence work on storm drain and bridge ahead of laying track across board joint

Where I am in two minds is now to control the Cobolt motors - whether to use conventional switches or use DCC. Having looked at a DS64 these run on min of 12v where as the recommended voltage for the Cobolts is 9v so if anyone on the group has experience of running Cobolts on a non-DCC Concepts decoder I'd be interested in their thoughts.

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1

Well its been a while since my last update - the main reason being a lack of progress on the layout to report on. However with the deadline of having the initial 10ft set up ready and operational for Rotarail 2014 at the end of April I ventured down the man cabin yesterday and pressed on.

So since the last update:

• All track has been laid, glued down and track joiners soldered up
  • Track feed droppers and frog droppers are in place
  • Cobolt motors have been installed with the throw tested via a 9v battery
  • 2ft scenic headshunt board has been constructed. This will represent the small storm drain and overbridge that is situated half way down the prototype Kimberly Spur.
  • Overland brass ATSF caboose purchased off E-bay for a v reasonable price and Microscale decals delivered to renumber it to the prototype used on the Spur

Next steps:

• Wire up track feeds and board to board jumpers
  • Commence work on storm drain and bridge ahead of laying track across board joint

Where I am in two minds is now to control the Cobolt motors - whether to use conventional switches or use DCC. Having looked at a DS64 these run on min of 12v where as the recommended voltage for the Cobolts is 9v so if anyone on the group has experience of running Cobolts on a non-DCC Concepts decoder I'd be interested in their thoughts.

Cheers

Dan

If you don't need loconet feedback of the cobalts, I've got an old DS44 going spare. The output is right at the lower limit for tortoise but should suit the cobalt quite well.