Fuzzy Photos

• RMweb Gold

Image degradation due to excessive compression applies equally across the whole image. If some parts of the image are fuzzy and some sharp, that will be entirely due to lens and camera settings.

Model photography is not easy. If you use on-camera flash, there are no shadows in the image and it looks very flat, with objects nearer the camera overeposed and washed out. Without flash there is seldom enough light, with the result that the lens aperture is set very wide (leading to poor depth of field) and the shutter speed is set slow (leading to camera shake).

For best results, take your layout outside on a sunny day. The change in the quality of the pictures will be amazing.

As an example of what over-compression looks like, here again is my original pic of Dundalk station at 360KB (1333 pixels per KB):

post-1103-0-65793500-1381672384.jpg

And here is the same excessively compressed to just 30KB (16000 pixels per KB, i.e. 10 times too many):

post-1103-0-42973800-1381672444.jpg

You can see a significant loss of sharpness and contrast, with colour bleeds and fringes.

regards,

Martin.

Mike, thank you for those remarks. And I'm flattered you examine my images so closely-they do stand up to it and as you find, there is a lot to see.,

Martin, I appreciate your continued interest, I never use flash, nor is it practical to take Hintock or the PRB outside as they are semi-permanent, what I use (and the results speak for themselves) is a combination of photo floods, halogen and florescent lamps. Getting it 'right' is the trick. 

Regards to you both,

John.

Archived