69843's CAD/3D fiddlings

• RMweb Gold

i like the idea of making use of Hornby parts. will there be room for LED's under the fallacies of the W1? i have a write up on the W1 in one of my mags with photos of her with the Lights on which does make a splendid sight even to a LMS fan. 

great work keep it coming

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back. Not that I was really gone, just quite busy (and still am, hence the short post).

The Stones marker lamps have now been modified to the SR design, which has a larger lens and slightly different casing to the LNER/LMS design:

post-14921-0-47280300-1397221570_thumb.jpg

i like the idea of making use of Hornby parts. will there be room for LED's under the fallacies of the W1? i have a write up on the W1 in one of my mags with photos of her with the Lights on which does make a splendid sight even to a LMS fan. 

great work keep it coming

I will look into it once I get onto it, as it would be an interesting prospect

Stay tuned for an interesting post in the next week or so.

'Same bat-time, same bat-channel.'

Well, I promised something interesting....

Hunslet-Barclay Bo-Bo Blue John

post-14921-0-87338500-1397624193_thumb.jpg

This is a bit of a unique project, being an unusual 1-off limited to a cement works, but would be an unusual addition to many a fleet and a companion to the excellent Bachmann JPAs

The LNER chassis has had progress made to it, with the axle and bearing areas cut out, and the slots cut for the gears. All parts should be able to be dropped in, from cylinders to Cartazzi truck. The estimate at the moment is around £16-18.

post-14921-0-22211200-1397626629_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-41596900-1397626635_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-97385600-1397626638_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

.....I am also developing the idea of 3D printed gearboxes, to allow smaller models to have gearboxes to fit, and larger locomotives to have something that sits in it right...and it means if something breaks, I can just manufacture a replacement part. If there is intrest, I shall put a side topic up on how to create this. I have also downloaded a plugin to create gears.

attachicon.gifWorm Gear.jpg

attachicon.gifGear.jpg

How about a bevel-and-spur geartrain option? :locomotive:

attachicon.gifIMAG0422 copy.jpg

(Did I mention the HO J&A Brown ROD? :))

Now here's a thought: the J&AB RODs still retained their Continental "ribbed" buffer casings - would it be possible to do a 3D print of these alone in 4mm scale, so that those who want to portray a "proper" ROD using the Bachmann RTR can do so?

Edited by Horsetan

How about a bevel-and-spur geartrain option? :locomotive:

Now here's a thought: the J&AB RODs still retained their Continental "ribbed" buffer casings - would it be possible to do a 3D print of these alone in 4mm scale, so that those who want to portray a "proper" ROD using the Bachmann RTR can do so?

Answers are:

A bevel and spur geartrain is certainly an option I will investigate.

The Continental buffers as separate, 4mm items weren't something I had considered, but are most definitely worth looking at

Answers are:

A bevel and spur geartrain is certainly an option I will investigate.

Please do compare notes with "Twright" as I think he's sketched out his own for his 16xx project - it would be useful for those of us looking to remotorise / re-engineer existing chassis.

The Continental buffers as separate, 4mm items weren't something I had considered, but are most definitely worth looking at

Thanks. We could drill out the housings, and then insert our own heads/stocks/springs.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Please do compare notes with "Twright" as I think he's sketched out his own for his 16xx project - it would be useful for those of us looking to remotorise / re-engineer existing chassis.

Thanks. We could drill out the housings, and then insert our own heads/stocks/springs.

Don't worry, we compare notes almost daily (I gave him the idea and plans for the 16XX, and he has certainly done well with it).

I can have the housings as straight replacements for the Bachmann head with little modification, and also do them as per suggested.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Right, busy period at the moment, hence reduced updates.

The Continental buffers are yet to be started as I am just gathering some info up on them before I start, and have to measure the square base of a Bachmann 04/ROD buffer (which I do not have to hand). Luckily I have both a HO and OO plan to hand.

While trying to have a relax, Twright and myself got chatting on the possibility of a small industrial locomotive similar to his great little W6 build. So the locomotive that was chosen? Peckett 1687/W6 class.

This has many reasons. 1)Plans were easy to obtain. 2) Quite a few were built (52 I believe). 3) There is ample scope for different varients with the W6-S (Specials) also being built, and locomotives being modified over time by the various companies that owned them. So here is the progress so far:

post-14921-0-98999600-1399168049_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-86833500-1399168053_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-43152800-1399168057_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-61342700-1399168061_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-75255400-1399168079_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-14655900-1399168098_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-13728100-1399168455_thumb.jpg

And a view of the underframe. The front stretcher has a notch cut out to allow NEM couplers to be fitted optionally (the pockets are included), and a blanking piece will be provided for those who don't use that option. The firebox/ashpan has a cutout to allow for the fitting of the motor/gearbox of the owners choice. The backhead is also a separate piece, to allow easier fitting of the motor/gearbox, and to allow detailing of it to be done separately.

post-14921-0-68120500-1399168300_thumb.jpg

Edited by 69843
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the W6 has had some more work done to it when I have had spare time (I'm getting less and less of that this year). The saddletank is now intergrated into the model, but will be hollow to allow weight to be added directly above the boiler, and to help keep costs down. It works out at about £45-48 at the moment.

post-14921-0-42031300-1399898728_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-38338500-1399898733_thumb.jpg

I shall also be doing a review of my CAD objectives for this year shortly

• Like 5

Time for a 6-monthly review of my CAD projects. I admit i may have been a touch optimistic, but some of these should still appear (funding, time and research depending-always the way...)

Now, some of the projects I hope to do in 2014 are:

Finish the Met E-On hold waiting to locate better plans, and for Bachmann 2014 announcements

Finish the P2(!)-Cancelled due to Hornby P2, however tender has been tweaked for use with Hornby Tornado frames

Finish the Gins-To be completed soon, barring obtaining some measurements off of the real things

Finish Fury-Taken a back seat, but still being worked on

And start investigating the following (not that it's too much!):

LNER Y6-Depends on level of interest

LNER Y7-Cancelled-Has been done by another modeller

Bagnall 0-4-0STs Judy and Alfred-Drawing up plans

LNER W1 'Hush Hush' in original format-Plans to come

Rocket-both 1929 and as finished service conditions-Cancelled

Caledonian 439-Depends on level of interest

Avonside Cadbury 0-4-0Ts-Trying to locate plans

SR 4DD-Cancelled

The Great Bear-Depends on level of interest

NER Raven A2-Plans need obtaining

NER Snowplough-Plans obtained, will be started soon

Various NSW loco's in HO-Working on it

Sydney Trams in HO-Working on it

And the big one-see whether it is possible to do a 5" gauge diesel bodyshell!-Err...no!

(Did I mention the HO J&A Brown ROD? :))-Being restarted

Apart from those, some others which I am looking at are:

GNR C12 4-4-2T

LSWR T3 4-4-0

SECR D 4-4-0

LMS RoRailer

HR Small Ben 4-4-0

HR Jones Goods 4-6-0

CR 812/652 Class 0-6-0

CR 294/711 Jumbo 0-6-0

NER Dynamometer car (long term project)

GWR 8 wheel tender chassis (for Hornby Hall tender body/setup)

LNER A1/3/4/W1 chassis

ROD 2-8-0 Continental buffers

All of these are subject to any interest and of course plans of the locomotives being available to me.

Edited by 69843
  • Like 2

Especially the buffers. That would allow the JABAS 2-8-0 to be modelled....

The buffers have been half-started (general outline drawn up).

Do you (or anyone) know of some plans for them? As it would make life a bit easier in regards to producing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work, With Alfred and Judy being based fairly local to me I'm really interested in that project but I'm also very interested in the LSWR T3 as I want one of them to convert into a loco similar to them and the MGNR class A rebuild. Also that GWR 8 wheeled tender will be interesting too.

Fantastic work, With Alfred and Judy being based fairly local to me I'm really interested in that project but I'm also very interested in the LSWR T3 as I want one of them to convert into a loco similar to them and the MGNR class A rebuild. Also that GWR 8 wheeled tender will be interesting too.

Thanks for the comments.

Alfred and Judy will be a while, as it's not easy to source plans for them. I have spoken to the Bodmin and Wenford, and they have passed on a couple of smaller drawings, but no GAs. I do have some dimensions and photos I will be working off to produce plans when I get time.

The LSWR T3 will again be a bit. I have found the plans in an old Railway Modeller (January '88), and just need to grab a copy of them next time I get to the model club. I am happy to do one minus certain fittings if you so require.

The GWR 8-wheel tender is being done as a joint project with Twright from here. As it is hard for me to access a real GWR tender, I have done the mainframes up and he will be doing some of the fine detailing (axleboxes etc.) to make sure it is as accurate as possible. This is where it stands at the moment:

post-14921-0-40405000-1401061028_thumb.jpg

Good news on the ROD buffer front as well. I shot off an email to the Richmond Vale Railway (owners of JABAS #23) asking about the dimensions of the buffers. I received a reply that if I can make the trip up to the museum, I am more than welcome to have a look at the main components of the locomotive and take the measurements myself, so that will hopefully happen in the not to distant future.

Edited by 69843
  • Like 3

That tender is really good so far, I'm really looking forward to seeing it progress and if you decide to sell it I may well have to buy one.

Thanks for the comments.

Alfred and Judy will be a while, as it's not easy to source plans for them. I have spoken to the Bodmin and Wenford, and they have passed on a couple of smaller drawings, but no GAs. I do have some dimensions and photos I will be working off to produce plans when I get time.

The LSWR T3 will again be a bit. I have found the plans in an old Railway Modeller (January '88), and just need to grab a copy of them next time I get to the model club. I am happy to do one minus certain fittings if you so require.

Good luck with them, they are two smashing little Locos, I was going to convert a pair of Bachmann bill and Ben models but Ill probably use yours instead as they will certainly be more accurate.

I will almost definitely take you up on that offer for the T3. Ill send you a PM a little closer too the time.

Thanks again

Edited by WD0-6-0

That tender is really good so far, I'm really looking forward to seeing it progress and if you decide to sell it I may well have to buy one.

Good luck with them, they are two smashing little Locos, I was going to convert a pair of Bachmann bill and Ben models but Ill probably use yours instead as they will certainly be more accurate.

I will almost definitely take you up on that offer for the T3. Ill send you a PM a little closer to the time.

Thanks again

Thanks again. Hopefully things won't take too long after this year, as it's hard juggling the free time I get away from working on final year.

Keep an eye and ear out, and I'll let you know when they get started.

Just a quick update for those who are interested. I have reconfigured the locomotive for printing in Frosted Detail. This brings the cost of the locomotive down quite a bit (a bit over £20), without compromising on detail levels too much. All that is left to do is smokebox door straps, cab detail and the roof, plus a couple of little tweaks. The cylinders and crosshead/piston will be available as a separate lot, due to the finer detail on them.

post-14921-0-56556800-1401272991_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-05575800-1401272927_thumb.jpg

I have made previous mention of this, but the saddletank has a hollow section to allow the adding of weight directly above the wheels/motor. There is a small hole to access this (which will be widened before release). It has a step in it to allow it to clear the smokebox with plenty of room.

post-14921-0-10643300-1401272996_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

It should hopefully be ready by the mid-year point, pending test print and any issues.

It's looking at about £40, plus about £6 for the cylinders/crossheads.