69843's CAD/3D fiddlings

Well, another week, another update.

The P2 has had little work done, so no updates there.

Next up, something Australian again. A friend contacted me in regards to designing a NZBF ballast plough that could be 3D printed, based off a kit he had. After passing on the kit and a couple of afternoons work later, this is the result, about 95% complete (just the brake actuator to put in). This one will be available soon to any interested parties, with both designs available separately  and a twin pack also available with one of each design. Bogies, details etc. will need to be purchased/made separately. There are two versions: The 'winged' version (shown below) which has small, wing-like platforms off the side and the non-winged version, which has straight sides.

attachicon.gifNZBF Ballast Plough (wings)-HO.jpg

The LNER pattern Stones Marker Lamps are now almost ready to order as well. They are just awaiting one final touch-up to the design. There will be 20 in a standard pack, which means that two models with the 5 lamps per end, such as a B1, can be done or two 4 lamp locomotives, such as an A2, can be done with two spare lamps.

attachicon.gifStones Marker lamps-no bracket.jpg

Now, as to my next move, I have several locomotive plans, but not a clue where to start. So, I shall leave it to everyone to suggest which one I should start on. The plans include:

Dunrobin and Coach 58A (58A to be done later)

GER N7

LMS 6399 Fury

GWR The Great Bear

SECR P

GWR 4700

All bar Fury would need frames, cylinders etc. built, and most tenders are already available. Fury is planned as a straight drop onto Bachmann parallel-boiler Royal Scot frames and valvegear. I also have plans to do 6170 British Legion at a later point.

Interesting! How about a  plywood container as a first? I'd buy a few! Pretty generic all pre nat railways plus long lasting BR.

Hello all. Sorry for the long absence, but some of us are still going through the educational system!

As usual, while there has been work done to #2007, there is nothing to show. In regards to the naming of the real thing, I am still yet to pass judgement and might keep it that way-that being said, I will still be getting a set of Will o' the Wisp nameplates made up, as well as the Prince Charles ones. The E class is having no work done, as I need to hunt for more drawings/details.

The NZBF ballast plough is complete and nearly ready for ordering. Hopefully a test print will be ordered this weekend, and pictures uploaded here when done. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

The Stones marker lights are now done as well, and will now include two generators in the pack. I was lucky enough to know someone with one about a km from here-at least it saved me climbing on top of a steam loco…almost all NSWGR locomotives fitted with electrical lighting had the same style of generator as commonly found on LNER engines. It is recommended to be printed in FUD, as the rear of the generator is .1mm deep in detail.

post-14921-0-23242400-1385069516.png

Now, onto another locomotive:

post-14921-0-76125900-1385069563_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-13203300-1385069567_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-70568200-1385069577_thumb.jpg

If you haven't guessed, it is the LMS high pressure prototype 6399 Fury. It is planned to do two versions of this. One with frames and associated parts, and one as a straight drop onto a set of Bachmann Royal Scot frames. In both cases, a suitable Fowler tender will need to be provided and valve gear will be needed for the 'kit' version as well.

Hopefully in the next week or so a set of plans for a NSWGR Z27 class 2-6-0 (of which 2705 is preserved, and currently 100 years old) might show up, and I can look at if it's worth doing that.

And with regards to RonnieS's query, all I'll say is keep an eye out….

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I can honestly say that thought had never occurred to me Jaz. That sort of machine could come in useful for a few ideas I have had, but previously rejected, so thank you very much for pointing that out.

I suspect JCL, et al, would love your input because buying that machine is not much good without nice software drawings to populate it, match made in heaven. Thank you for rating my work...that's how i noticed you. ;P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I tried to start this post several times, but every time I tried to start it, it all changed!

Fury has had some work done, namely placing the splashers on (not finished), the smokebox saddle and the smokebox door ring on it.

post-14921-0-52706800-1387524462_thumb.jpg

I am also developing the idea of 3D printed gearboxes, to allow smaller models to have gearboxes to fit, and larger locomotives to have something that sits in it right...and it means if something breaks, I can just manufacture a replacement part. If there is intrest, I shall put a side topic up on how to create this. I have also downloaded a plugin to create gears.

post-14921-0-00248900-1387526007_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-14347600-1387526652_thumb.jpg

And the reason this took as long as it did:

NZBFs

post-14921-0-92616600-1387526941_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-02375400-1387526957_thumb.jpg

And a surprise item:

post-14921-0-59873200-1387527429_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-42144200-1387526968_thumb.jpg

It is a keyring based off of the axle cover of an Australian ALCO diesel. This one is for a friend (with name and number printed on the back), but I will be doing a plain and a double-sided version as well. It is 2cm in diameter, and the letters on the front are 3mm high.

I am extremely happy with the prints, and will be making them available shortly via Shapeways.

And, as a final note, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

• Like 5

Well, it's that time of the year again-Summer heat and a bit of rain, no snow and ice down here!

Thank you all for taking a look in at this thread. What you see here is nowhere near perfect, but is an attempt to have a bit of fun by combining the fun of railways with the emerging technology of 3D Printing. I must put a thanks to Wild Boar Fell, Rabs, Missy, AJ427, bmthtrains-David and the rest of RMweb for inspiring me to crack on with this.

Now, some of the projects I hope to do in 2014 are:

Finish the Met E

Finish the P2(!)

Finish the Gins

Finish Fury

And start investigating the following (not that it's too much!):

LNER Y6

LNER Y7

Bagnall 0-4-0STs Judy and Alfred

LNER W1 'Hush Hush' in original format

Rocket-both 1929 and as finished service conditions

Caledonian 439

Avonside Cadbury 0-4-0Ts

SR 4DD

The Great Bear

NER Raven A2

NER Snowplough

Various NSW loco's in HO

Sydney Trams in HO

And the big one-see whether it is possible to do a 5" gauge diesel bodyshell!

So have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone

post-14921-0-24639100-1387880134_thumb.jpg

(Did I mention the HO J&A Brown ROD? :))

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Right, after a busy period preparing for my final year, I'm back!

The NZBF design is almost ready for signing off. The second batch of prototypes made the journey quite well, and arrived in good time. They are now under the ownership of the commissioner, and shall be shown here when progress is made on them. The bogies are separate components, from AR Kits

post-14921-0-13347900-1393968901_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-89060600-1393968907_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-39102000-1393969185_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-41185100-1393969192_thumb.jpg

The Stones Marker lights/generators and the worm gear also arrived in the same shipment. The most important of the two, the worm gear, turned out 100%, which then proves that making a 3D printed gearbox is completely viable. Unfortunately, the camera doesn't want to take shots of them……

A few ideas have come and gone in this period. The P2 is being dropped, as there will certainly be a model of 2007 Prince of Wales made by Hornby. An upshot of this though is that the tender is still useful, and with a few extra tweaks can be used for the Hornby model of Tornado, including a full coal space. A planned range of LNER tenders is to be started soon to fit Hornby frames.

post-14921-0-68014100-1393969239_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-62251500-1393969236_thumb.jpg

Another unusual tender is LO32, a NSWGR shunting tender. This was made to help visibility when shunting tender first, and rarely left the goods yards around Sydney. That having been said, a good friend of mine remembers a tour he travelled on where one of the D50s with LO32 was at Central for part of the trip. LO33, the bogie shunting tender, is to follow.

post-14921-0-05766600-1393969518_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-80089300-1393969511_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-75230900-1393969514_thumb.jpg

The NER Snowplough is nearly ready to start, as I just have to double check a set of dimensions on it (hard from about 10,000 miles away!), and then should be ready to go. A set of plans have been generously passed on to me through the NYMR and the group responsible for No.18s overhaul.

Amongst numerous other plans, what might be plans for a very ambitious project were also picked up…..those of the 4DD. This is planned to be made in 4 parts: Bogies, under frame, interior and body. This one may take a while, but I am hoping that it will be worth it in the end.

• Like 5

Well the P2 is not lost if Hornby don't announce it you could still go for making one. Bachmann and Hornby often make the same thing, although they are well known names. So concentrating on lesser modelled locos makes sense from a commercial point of view.

Regardless the knowledge you gained in the research can not only be re used as you said, but increases your knowledge pool regardless. Nice work.

Looking forward to seeing more as time permits.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I can say with full confidence that Hornby will be doing #2007, as I was told from someone at the top of one of the organisations. Actually, a point I forgot to add:

Having acquired a few of the Great British Locomotives A4s, and having already looked at the possibility of the original form of the W1, I will be doing a set of frames to convert the A4 to the W1, utilising a number of similar points to the Hornby frame to allow standard components, such as motor, gears, valvegear and wheels to be used. A new bogie will also be done, being the correct length (the W1 leading bogie was marginally longer than an A3/A4 one, by about 1mm in scale) with optional NEM pocket, and hopefully lead to the original, water tube boiler form of 'Hush Hush' being modeled. The cab/firebox on the rebuilt, 'A4' version will be one of Graeme King's excellent resin parts.

Hi 69843! 

Just been through your post and it's coming along nicely! I was particularly interested in the 3D printed gears and worms, as I have been working on something similar as well! Have you thought about printing the entire gearbox as one object? With Shapeways, you will need 0.5mm clearance between all moving parts, so depending on the scale this may be a bit difficult - the advantage of printing the gears separately is that the tolerances are smaller! I'll be updating my own progress on my single-object gearbox soon!

Hi 69843! 

Just been through your post and it's coming along nicely! I was particularly interested in the 3D printed gears and worms, as I have been working on something similar as well! Have you thought about printing the entire gearbox as one object? With Shapeways, you will need 0.5mm clearance between all moving parts, so depending on the scale this may be a bit difficult - the advantage of printing the gears separately is that the tolerances are smaller! I'll be updating my own progress on my single-object gearbox soon!

Hi mate,

I had thought of printing the gearbox as a whole entity. The problem as you mentioned is the separation, which makes it a bit hard. I plan to do the gears and case separately, allowing accurate printing of the gears, and to allow a hole for each gear support axle and bearing, allowing smoother running.

Good to know I'm not alone in the idea of the 'boxes, as they are a useful and flexible solution to the problem of drive in smaller models, such as your A-set.

Well, in a change from the norm, I have another update within a week:

LO32 is now complete and ready for the trial print. This should hopefully help me identify any major defects with the design, and help towards eliminating them:

post-14921-0-12030100-1394513222_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-11352900-1394513216_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-70895000-1394513218_thumb.jpg

The tender bodyshell for Tornado is also finished, complete with handrail knob holes and lamp irons placed above the electric light housings on the rear. The cabinets, filler cap, NRN radio pod and rear steps are modelled separately, to allow those to be done in finer detail (FUD vs FD for the main body).

post-14921-0-41478800-1394513231_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-48253200-1394513225_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-75456900-1394513228_thumb.jpg

Edited by 69843
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick one today. Also, how'd this thread get so popular? (Just passed 2,500 views)

In between studying and other things, I managed to knock out the A1/A3/A4/W1 chassis. This is designed to take all the standard Hornby fittings, allowing complete interchangeability of parts between the normal Hornby ones and this. It still requires finishing, but is about 85% complete. The design also caters for a single (A1/3/4) or double (W1) set of fixed wheels to be placed on the rear.

post-14921-0-86764300-1395796419_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-50427400-1395796416_thumb.jpg

My design list is currently on hold at the moment, awaiting the announcements from Bachmann to see what is on offer there, and then will procede from there. I don't want to start another project, just to have it announced in RTR form (nearly just happened with the LSWR B4!)

• Like 4