Kingsman Industrial Park aka KIP

Yesterday I received an email from TVNAM supremo aka NorthPoint, asking for details of the layout I was taking to next year's show ....

As there are now less than 250 days to go, I thought I'd start better make a start, rather than leave it to the last minute...

So I present you with..... 

KIP or to give it, its full title Kingsman Industrial Park.

The inspiration for the model came from Mike Cassidy’s photo below.

post-7237-0-09134700-1381346392_thumb.jpg

(Mods I have permission to use the photo, pm me if you wish to see Mike's email)

This is what I've found out so far about KIP.

Originally a World War II Army Air Corp training facility, the Kingman Airport and Industrial Park is approximately 4,000 acres in size. It is situated on the eastern edge of the Mojave Desert and is along side the historic Route 66.

The main Southern Transcon route of the Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railroad is adjacent to the facility with rail switching operations within the park five days a week.

In August 2012 the Kingman Terminal Railroad ( KGTR ) opened at the Kingman Airport Authority and Industrial Park. The KGTR is a short line railroad owned by Patriot Rail. Patriot Rail owns and operates 13 railroads in 13 states across the U.S. The KGTR interchanges with BNSF and delivers to the customers that populate the industrial park.

Now 4000 acres doesn't fit into 4'6" by 1' very well, but I'll give it a go.

Here is my first track plan idea

post-7237-0-14758800-1381346632_thumb.jpg

This layout will have a number of firsts for me

• Modelling Arizona (I know nothing about the state)
  • Modelling Desert ( is it really red?)
  • I might even try modelling it at night....
  • I'm only going to have TWO locos for the layout.

The first of which has been weathered by you know who.

post-7237-0-93004700-1381347002_thumb.png

It still need sound fitting plus if I choose to set the layout at night I will want working ditch lights.

More photos of the park can be seen at

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?train_id=Kingman%20Local

and

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?railroad=Kingman%20Terminal

Google and bing links below

http://binged.it/GOO9it

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=35.260894,-113.961354&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&ll=35.260943,-113.961568&spn=0.002838,0.005005&z=18

You did notice that there are only about 3-4 dozen cars in that whole 4000 acres, 1 gondola and al the rest either tank cars or covered hoppers.

There are a lot of ex military bases turned into industrial parks. 

Clearfield UT

If you are looking for something a little greener, there is the Paperton Lead in Pine Bluff, AR.  Breaks off the UP (former MP) crosses over the former SSW main to Little Rock (which by the 1970's was abandoned) and then on the lead.  Had a treated wood products yard, a paper bag plant and a paper mill on the far end.  The wood treatment plant shipped treated wood (fence posts, landscape timbers, deck and fence materials).  The bag plant recieved covered hoppers of resin and boxcars of paper (from the paper mill a mill or two away, so there is intra lead switching) and finally the paper mill, recieves wood chips, caustic soda, scrap paper, ships paper, soap liquor (spent caustic soda).  They shipped in 50 ft and 60 ft boxcars, plain and plug door cars, covered hoppers, gons, flats, bulkhead/centerbeam flats, wood chip hoppers and tank cars.  The lead was switch 60 months SSW and 6 months MP/UP, so you have the chance to run alternately grey, yellow or blue power (GP7, GP9, GP18,GP38-2 or GP15's on the MP/UP and SW1500, MP15, GP9, GP38-2, lease units on the SSW).

Paperton lead

Chris

Had a dig in the archives and found some of the pics I took at Flagstaff in 2004 of the local power that would have worked out of Barstow thro Kingman. Similar to my project with ex mainline high horsepower 4 axle units cascaded down....

Dan

post-9070-0-53398800-1381403378_thumb.jpg

post-9070-0-84662500-1381403396_thumb.jpg

Does that mean you're going to build something for the show, Jordan?

Yes, Nick, I thought I'd said in an email before?

I have sent the form now from your latest email this evening.... basically O Scale, 12ft total length, but no pics yet!!! ('cos I have boards made, but no track laid yet!! :O )

Archived