Photos of Ex-LNER(?) coaches in Skegness

JCL

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

I'm very interested in the railways in Lincolnshire and the Skegness area specifically. I'm afraid I'm not much use at identifying coaches other than the more well known ones and was wondering if anyone could identify the coaches in photos in two ebay auctions that are on for the next couple of days. The auctions are:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rail-Photo-LNER-GER-Coach-Skegness-station-Lincolnshire-GNR/390673858791?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16581%26meid%3D1876666069897902871%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D7839%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D390673858791%26

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rail-Photo-LNER-GCR-Coach-Skegness-station-carriage-sidings-lincolnshire-GNR/390672889859?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16581%26meid%3D1876672311559125770%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D7839%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D390673858791%26

There were two other auctions that are over now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rail-Photo-LNER-GCR-Coach-Skegness-station-Lincolnshire-GNR-/390668770601?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item5af5ac5d29&nma=true&si=LfQd4xoL40xn9J1KNvj4ose5mqs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The middle one here looked like a Gresley Suburban

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rail-Photo-LNER-Coach-Skegness-Carriage-sidings-yard-Lincolnshire-GNR-GCR-/390671120909?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item5af5d03a0d&nma=true&si=LfQd4xoL40xn9J1KNvj4ose5mqs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Does anyone recommend a good book about LNER (and constituent) coaches?

Sorry I can't post the photos themselves.

cheers

Jason

The first is a GER 50' BTK, available from D & S (recently), Bill Bedford or Worsley Works.

The second is a GC BCK (with a Barnum next to it) - Bill Bedford or possibly Falcon Brass when they reintroduce their coaches.

The third is either NER or ECJS, 'matchboard' third - may or may not be vestibuled, I don't know them well enough to tell. D & S or Bill Bedford for that one once you've got an exact ID.

The last one is a Gresley CL (D50?). Hornby do this one, as do Comet and probably MJT.

Any of Michael Harris' books are useful to identify and learn about LNER and GNR coaches: there aren't really any definitive books on the coaching stock of the pregrouping companies, you're looking at society journals or magazine articles.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you jwealleans, that was really useful information - I'm pleased I asked! I'll have a look into those books as Christmas is coming up. Unfortunately brass coach kits are beyond me, but it's cool that they are available.

The Nim - it does look like that, especially when you take into account the tone and finish of the one on the right that could be in maroon. Am I seeing something that maybe isn't there, or are there really some 1's on the doors. I'm not sure many first class passengers travelled to Skegness!

A Gresley CL, possibly still in varnished teak livery? In 1959?

The Nim.

I don't think the date is correct,; the van still has NE and no E before the number. I think it would be very unusual for freight vehicle to survive so long without the E being added to the running number.

Paul Bartlett

I agree with Paul about the van - the BTK is fairly smart and looks recently repainted, so a 1959 date doesn't look right. The CL does look tatty, which might be teak or faded crimson. The class numbering looks BR and there doesn't look to be any 'NE' or 'LNER' lettering on the far end so on balance I'd agree with Bill that it's a scruffy (possibly withdrawn?) example. You'd really need to see the original print to be sure.

I agree with Paul about the van - the BTK is fairly smart and looks recently repainted, so a 1959 date doesn't look right. The CL does look tatty, which might be teak or faded crimson. The class numbering looks BR and there doesn't look to be any 'NE' or 'LNER' lettering on the far end so on balance I'd agree with Bill that it's a scruffy (possibly withdrawn?) example. You'd really need to see the original print to be sure.

I doubt that Skegness would be used for withdrawn vehicle storage-apart from the huge amount of traffic at holiday times Lincoln was far more convenient for Doncaster as a storage and gathering point-eg withdrawn DMUs in the 1980s.

• RMweb Gold

Basing this on next to nothing, would it be the case that if the seaside excursions were extras, any stock that was serviceable and to hand would be used as it was in addition to regular timetabled trains? Would this lead to an eclectic range of older coaching stock being used?

I have an extra question if you don't mind me asking, and this really does display my ignorance. There are coaches either side of the central coach, would vestibuled and non-vestibuled coaches ever be seen in the same train?

Archived