Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi CME

Are your outdoor baseboards in sections which are bolted together to form a unit? If so I take it that the intention is to have the possibility of removing them in the future as and when required. My old garden railway was constructed in situ with longitudals, cross pieces and the ply top all screwed together (wood screws) having all been treated with several coats of wood preservative. The felt top was fixed down with adhesive and bent down over the supporting timbers, thus making it virtually impossible for rain to get under the felt to affect the timber. With a coat of preservative on the legs each year I experienced little difficulty over the 25 - 30 years that the layout was in existence. It did rot eventually and having lifted all the track (since sold) the structure  was broken up and sent to the scrap yard.

One other question if you are using nuts and bolts are you fitting washers and using a lock nuts to stop the bolts coming loose?

Rod

26 minutes ago, railwayrod said:

Hi CME

Are your outdoor baseboards in sections which are bolted together to form a unit? If so I take it that the intention is to have the possibility of removing them in the future as and when required. My old garden railway was constructed in situ with longitudals, cross pieces and the ply top all screwed together (wood screws) having all been treated with several coats of wood preservative. The felt top was fixed down with adhesive and bent down over the supporting timbers, thus making it virtually impossible for rain to get under the felt to affect the timber. With a coat of preservative on the legs each year I experienced little difficulty over the 25 - 30 years that the layout was in existence. It did rot eventually and having lifted all the track (since sold) the structure  was broken up and sent to the scrap yard.

One other question if you are using nuts and bolts are you fitting washers and using a lock nuts to stop the bolts coming loose?

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Your garden layout sounded bomb proof, thanks for the advice and info. Did you ever finish your narrow gauge line?

I opted, rightly or wrongly, not to wrap the MRF over the edges of the boards - I'd seen others' crack and fall apart that way. After treatments, I used silicone and PVCu edging to keep the weather out (not all silicone sealers are created equal). This offers some protection from localised damp and the weather. If no planting were present, as with Brian Daniels' line I wouldnt put the edging on and let the treated wood air dry.

We treated all timber with SBR, two coats, especially saw cuts (three coats), then two-three coats of Wickes wax impregnated wood treatment. All board joints are supported by posts and offset/staggered with MRF joins. As some of those joints have shrunk, I'm sealing them with tar and chick-grit affixed with watered down exterior matt black paint that fades to grey. The boards are built using rough pressure treated timbers in the same style as indoor boards. As mentioned before I had experimented with plastic construction and/or plastic or Foamlux tops. The majority of tops are marine ply. I may replace those with Foamlux if required and if inspired, in due course.

Perhaps I'm being lazy or stupid but I've not used, or retrofitted lock nuts. All nuts have washers etc though and the bolts have a square thus lock into the wood.

I'm at a loss as how a very tight nut on a 2"-3" thread can come loose on a basically static item.

If it happens again, I will fit shake proof washers (nylocs won't work on such long bolts and twin nuts would be nigh on impossible to wrangle into position).

Kindest regards,

M.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi CME.

Thanks for your reply and like you I have no idea why nuts should come loose on a static structure but I still think that a lock nut would reduce the risk if you can fit them.

My own garden railway has been abandoned and all my LGB stock and track has been sold. This will allow me to develop Ramchester which has/is taking a great deal of my time.

All the best for your search towards a solution.

Rod

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Rod.

Garden railways take up a great deal of time and resource. If I had a lovely man cave like yours my layout would be 100% indoors.

Good idea to sell up the LGB and focus on Ramchester.

You are wise to say replace the nuts but I'm kind of intrigued as to see if they come loose again. If they do it'll be star washers and/or additional nuts added to act as locknuts.

Kindest regards,

CME

• 3 weeks later...

Rain has stopped lots of play as has a fair few medical appointments. Just a few maintence and baseboard issues attended to. Hope to start junction track laying, viaduct and fiddle yard soon.

As an aside, where the viaduct is to go we spied a juvenile hedge (field/harvest) mouse - we've had them here on and off for years. Our neighbour recently had tree surgeons in and they also cleared some brambles, so may have dislodged some.

I've also had fox cubs digging up stuff and playing hide and seek with me, plus running on, and, around and around, the railway.

The mouse is hard to spot in the photo, zoom in, he's in fright mode - he was ambling along and stretching, cleaning his face, then spied us on the bench and froze. He's safely back in the railway hedge now though.

Atvb

CME

IMG_20190630_153459_269.JPG

harvest-mouse-edo-schmidt-alamy-stock-photo-580x435.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

More baseboards down, hopefully some more track soon too.

Sorry to say, that, photo wise that's all 'yer getting as the 10mb limit has been reached. My humble apologies this technical fault is beyond my control <rolls eyes>

IMG_20190918_130901.jpg

Keep up the good work

Michael

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I should have pointed out the debate reference adding another post at the midway point - awkward due to garage and wall footings - or not.

Thus far, a dexion right angle screwed and glued to the wall, along with thicker timbers/frame, a monocoque type construction and the whole creates its own strength. Hopefully it'll keep it's integrity in times to come.

Atvb

CME

• Like 1

As an aside I've been fettling and cannibalising some ancient, tired Lima stock for a young friend of the family - for his trainset.

These wagons fought me every step of the way, but it was nice to rebuild ('upcycle') some tired and well played with toys from the scrap box.

They started life like this:-

https://www.hattons.co.uk/290724/Lima_L305607Custard_U04_20_Ton_Corrugated_End_Van_Birds_Custard_Pre_owned_replacement_box/StockDetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/84065/Lima_L305632_12T_7_Plank_Wagon_P_W_Spencer_/StockDetail.aspx

Please excuse the photo quality - you'll have to take my word for it,  that they look better to the MK1 eyeball.

Our young friend was inspired to resurrect his abandoned trainset after visits to our H&BLR and local heritage line, plus old copies of Railway Modeller and Model Rail and also The Great Model Railway Challenge. It's been nice to 'give back', when I was a lad and my mum was terminally ill, honourable fellows, friends of the family, did the same for me.

More photos later when I get a refreshed, upload limit......

IMG_20190911_210212.jpg

IMG_20190912_000356_646.JPG

IMG_20190924_215405_123.JPG

IMG_20190924_145247.jpg

IMG_20190914_020447.jpg

Additional photos
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And this is how they've ended up, with new couplings (Mainline which are a better match for Bachmann miniature TLs), new weights, new buffers, roof repairs, fragile detail removed for young hands etc etc - couldn't resist a scrap box lantern though.

The main work has been painting and a mixed bag of weathering, although not easy to spot the planked wagon has the correct white stripes, the script on the side is merely an impressionistic representation of stock numbers etc. On the BV Ive slightly over egged the weathering, painted the concrete end weights, veranda decking etc etc (I may yet blend some MIG weathering powder in). The van has been painted in pre weathered shades and I didn't attempt to paint in a stock number, only the chalk panels.

Hopefully theyll provide fun and pleasure for a few more years yet.

IMG_20190927_103012_082.JPG

IMG_20190927_102517.jpg

IMG_20190927_103035_578.JPG

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Looks good. I like how the curves aligns well with the baseboard.

The lousy weather has messed up my plans too.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

Thanks, that was what I was aiming for, even outdoors I take a bit of time to align the track, using mirrors, track setters and the MK1 eyeball.

The weather has been that of extremes when I've had time/inclination to work on the rly in the garden. Perhaps that's always been the nature of the beast or perhaps its how it is nowadays?

Sorry to hear that it's had a similar effect on your garden rly modelling.

ATVB,

CME

.......I had to re-rail one section of sleeper base, which was pretty exacting, so as to accommodate the modified track layout and thus the new point. The point, compared to our H&BLR SM32 track, is quite delicate. BTW I juggled the left hand route's sleepers to interlace better than here in the photo, but it took some doing and some choice words. It's not perfect even now, but it's robust for outdoor use.

IMG_20190723_202225.jpg

IMG_20190723_202311.jpg

• Like 4