Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Simon,

I've heard of that system, seems good in theory, how is it in practice?

Monocacy BT control is what I'm fitting to my 08 and they're sert to update/upgrade their app.

Some speak highly of Deltang (DT) others have had issues with 'Binding' (connection). My dad's mate is helping me out with DT.

Red Arrow is very good but only one decoder so that excludes certain smaller locos.

Then there are the hybrid capacitor/deadrail DCC/RC systems.......I've worked out I'm a K.I.S.S kinda guy, yet elegant simplicity is hard for me to do too!

Keep in touch as its a huge learning curve, I've been doing RC for forty plus years, but this is a bit different, less plug and play and more DIY.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Apologies I don't know the origins of this photo - happy to take it down if there are any issues - as it was sent to me, looks like the smaller box structure at end of the generator (an air-conditioning unit)? Afaict the models I have, in prototype form, are about the biggest portable units - for large encampments/crisis management - bigger generators that are fixed in place are out there and can be massive.....a bit like a ships engine or similar!....

post-11256-0-38319400-1534169415.jpg

Hi all,

Some tweaks to our plastic baseboard experiment, still a couple of errors to remedy. In hindsight I should have used Filcris and PVCu throughout but we live and learn. Plastic to wooden boards is a little fiddly and a bit of a challenge! But like BR we're getting there....

.....It isn't pretty at the mo either and it will only become strong with the sum of its parts.

ATVB

CME

post-11256-0-73327700-1534265523_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-69199300-1534265545_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I spent a productive 40mins modifying the plastic baseboards for more strength.

They will only be strong with the sum of their parts, so my confidence in them is not quite there yet and if the whole layout were built from them then things would have been easier - we live and learn though. And the layout has been subjected to continuous improvement..... due in the main to failures in timber quality coupled with price rises.

Back in 2000 I came up with an idea all plastic baseboard system, but for both garden layouts I was talked out of using such - hindsight and 20/20 vision (poor timber quality/rising timber prices) said I should have stuck to my guns. However our first layout the H&BLR is okay at 16years old (made from quality plywood).

Circa 2018, combining plastic boards with wooden boards on a junction/curve is a real challenge, but its also an experiment with not previously used materials....

I recently came across a YouTube clip of a North American fellow who uses plastic for his garden baseboards - he moved home and taken his garden railway with him - and his system is very similar to my ideas back in 2000 and, I understand, Cyril Freezer proposed another version some time before that too. I would always use flat boards across the top with some kind of 'ballast' as opposed to open top boards.

• 2 weeks later...

Some head scratching and the plastic boards are gone, I've failed, where others have succeeded, not without trying though (maybe more on that another time), may be easier when using only plastic boards from the start.

Here's my solution, pressure treated battening, cut then coated in resin solvent based SBR then treated with Wickes' wax proofer....

Slow progress as cutting is bespoke and a cutting list can't be formulated....a second pair of hands helped, thanks Dad!

post-11256-0-38263700-1536344597_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-92119200-1536344620_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-23898200-1536344646_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-13544000-1536344668_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Terrier improvements - I hope...rain still hampering outside works, so a free ten minutes and the chimney has been wrenched off and I've started to par it down, true it up and fettle the plastic smokebox base.

Cab interior is fettled, painted and weathered (ONLY three evenings' work, with brushes, micro brushes and cock tail sticks - crew and coal to be added).

post-11256-0-79748100-1539527177_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-64851800-1539527192_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-84668500-1539527207_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see the progress CME, :) and you have now given me the idea of taking my garden line through the front of my newish shed, seeing as it's been doing nothing and not used since i got it two years ago. I'll need your good advice on making the entry/exit holes and keeping it water and Animal proofed. :)

Great to see the progress CME, :) and you have now given me the idea of taking my garden line through the front of my newish shed, seeing as it's been doing nothing and not used since i got it two years ago. I'll need your good advice on making the entry/exit holes and keeping it water and Animal proofed. :)

Hi OB,

Thanks for the Post and kind words, thought I was chatting to myself for awhile LoL!

Of course I will help if I can, or if you can wait I have the parts ready to make the tunnels animal and weatherproof....hopefully! Wont be fitting them until next Spring though....

Warm wishes,

Martin

• Like 1