Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

Sides on.....

Sadly our friendly local supplier appears to have changed brands? No longer supplying Marshall Tufflex products. Even after years in the garden MT product still cuts well, takes pins well and follows curves well, often doesn't split - oh and its protective cellophane is blue, so easy to see/peel off. The new stuff? The exact opposite, splits, cracks around a curve, deforms when pins are driven in. Why is it cheap is king and everything is now a race to the bottom? Value For Money (VFM) is always best, decent quality at a fair price. If I were up scaffold or a ladder using this cheap stuff day in and day out? I'd not be best pleased! :mad::confused::rolleyes:

I hope, when painted, it lasts like the MT stuff has..... Time will tell!

Sorry for poor photo quality phone camera doesn't like certain light conditions:rolleyes:

Rant mode off!

post-11256-0-25246600-1541188731_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-17152600-1541188755_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I’m with you on this.

Cheap is great if you want cheap, but not if you’re investing many hours and many pounds into a job that you want to last for years.

Sadly, you can only get what suppliers can make a buck at, because the majority want it, whether or not it meets your needs.

Plywood is a case in point.

Never mind, keep your fingers crossed.

Best

Simon

It's looking very good CME,

Can you remind me again about the section you are working, is it to set up a continuous loop or for some other reason.

Best

Hi B.,

Thanks for the kind words.

Originally the garden section was a 'U' to connect the two garage sections via the garden, then my other half asked why there wasnt a loop/continuous run, I replied that I couldnt fit a 5.5' - 6.0' radius link section in. A little while latter I measured up and found that I could - just.

Hence the new boards, sit on the bench and watch trains go by....

Kindest regards,

M.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

my other half asked why there wasnt a loop/continuous run, I replied that I couldnt fit a 5.5' - 6.0' radius link section in. A little while latter I measured up and found that I could - just.

Sounds like the wrong person is in charge to me :)

I'm getting a lovely image of Mrs Stephenson saying "Why is this Chat Moss such a drama? Just put a rug over it".

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 1

Err something like that Simon, I'm too polite to comment further!

Except to say:- "......here in this forest clearing I have ingratiated myself with this troop of gorillas....... It can be seen that in terms of mating, bloodlines and the like, young and not so young females can be highly manipulative in getting what they want....using younger males to attract the wrath and attention of the Alpha silverback, even if it means settling for a beta male later on, once impregnated....' (In précis and not verbatim - the hushed tones of David Attenborough).

Just puttin' it out there.....only saying.....and Bonobo chimps, our closest 'relation' in terms of apes, are matriarchal and worse...

I've got this brake van and I do like the way the guard rails can be propped in the closed position to stop the guard falling off the veranda.

Brake vans would have run with the guard rails always in place when on the move.

I've got this brake van and I do like the way the guard rails can be propped in the closed position to stop the guard falling off the veranda.

Brake vans would have run with the guard rails always in place when on the move.

Hi Duncan, yes I agree, not sure if they would be in place during shunting moves? I shall inc the same on my Slaters van too.

The roof looks, unlike the Dapol vans, to be tack glued on, I'm wondering how/where to add weight and whether or not to wrench the roof off. I had started to detail the interior of the Slaters van, but IMHO, its not really worth it apart from the stove pipe.

Kind regards

• Like 1

The roof on mine just fell off CME and was already very loose when i bought it, there are small oblong clips/lugs on each corner which seem to have been glued on/in, these are seen as white in my pics. I put a piece of 2mm thick steel plate in the bottom to add some weight. My roof is still a loose clip fit 'cos i'm not sure whether to detail the interior yet? Hope these help and i'm not teaching my Granny to suck Eggs :)

post-31611-0-24378000-1542100353_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-82058800-1542100377_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1

Thanks,my friend, no you are not teaching me to suck eggs. I'm always willing to pull a model apart but with 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it' firmly in mind. With a brake van, the veranda roof sections can be very delicate so removing a roof is fraught. I purchased a part done Toad years back and fortunately the roof was glued on, the glue had died and it was easy to remove, that would have been a whole different story if it had been solvent welded on. Thank god that the Chinese don't use solvent weld - mind you gluing paint to paint, instead of substrate to substrate, using their glues is both a blessing and a curse......ie bits fall off!

Looks like you've painted the interior white which will show up, nicely, your detailing, after detailing one BV interior I might just just paint this one matt black LMAO!

Kindest regards, with many thanks!

Cheers CME after that info i don't think i'll bother with the interior, although it is a bigger scale i can't say anyone can really see inside them unless the roof is removed to show 'em, a bit of dirty White brightens it up inside and can just be seen through the windows, i would have liked to cut and opened up a door but its fiddly enough work as it is.  :jester:

Cheers CME after that info i don't think i'll bother with the interior, although it is a bigger scale i can't say anyone can really see inside them unless the roof is removed to show 'em, a bit of dirty White brightens it up inside and can just be seen through the windows, i would have liked to cut and opened up a door but its fiddly enough work as it is. :jester:

Agreed OB, I might do the same! Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...