Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Who remembers Casey Jones?

Ian Holmes

^^^

I thought that time, "Health and Safety" was what taught schoolboys what naked women looked like....tongue.gif

No, that was Health & Efficiency Magazine . Err, I only know that because......................... icon_redface.gif

Another one here, I remember watching "Casey Jones" and "Steam Horse, Iron Road" when I was a laddie. I think the latter was on Sunday afternoons here (west of Scotland). I don't remember a great deal about it apart from the title sequence shot from the footplate of a tall-chimneyed steam locomotive.

Edit: On second thoughts it was indeed on Sunday mornings.

Another one here, I remember watching "Casey Jones" and "Steam Horse, Iron Road" when I was a laddie. I think the latter was on Sunday afternoons here (west of Scotland). I don't remember a great deal about it apart from the title sequence shot from the footplate of a tall-chimneyed steam locomotive.

Yes, I also think "Steam Horse, Iron Road" may have been on a Sunday. The loco in the opening shot was 'Lion', with a view of the outside-cranked rods. I'm certain the clip was taken from "The Titfield Thunderbolt". I always thought that fascinating, as it was so different to any steam loco I had seen up until then! I can't remember the real days of steam, (I blame my dad for not taking me to see them, and he's an enthusiast too!), so my earliest memory was on the Bluebell, mid 60s, and sadly the Dukedog wasn't running whenever I went.

• RMweb Gold

I remember wathcing Casey Jones avidly when I were a lad. Memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall lots of wheelslip and heavy braking, locking the wheels of the loco and then throwing it in reverse. I suspect the fitters would have been less happy with Casey than we kids were...

I remember wathcing Casey Jones avidly when I were a lad. Memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall lots of wheelslip and heavy braking, locking the wheels of the loco and then throwing it in reverse. I suspect the fitters would have been less happy with Casey than we kids were...

Well, that was an early method of loco braking, when their brakes were next to useless, but I doubt it was really done so enthusiastically (if at all, except in a real emergency) in the years Casey Jones is supposed to be set (around 1900).

I remember another kid's programme called Union Pacific. Or rather, I don't remember much about it except the adventures were set around the building of the railway (or railroad I suppose one should say).

Union Pacific was an American Western television series starring Jeff Morrow, Judson Pratt and Susan Cummings that aired in US TV syndication from 1958 until 1959. This show was inspired by the 1939 film also named Union Pacific, starring Joel McCrea, Barbara Stanwyck, and Robert Preston.(Cecil B. DeMille)(from Wikipedia)

No clips on Youtube of the show, unfortunately. Appears to have been shown in the UK on ITV,

Stephen.

Archived